Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Bored at work, so thought I'd expand on this for those who know me not.
Real name.....yes, really.
Will be 50 this year, on some audax-type thing
Speaker of multiple lingoes but living in Surrey, well away from Wales
Bikes: Galaxy, tandem, Sardar, Marin mtb, Spesh road bike, Scott hybrid.
Habits: cycle touring and birdwatching. And real beer.

Sample of what I like:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=7E
monster

Post by monster »

name: matthew

scientist atm but will be changing jobs soon.

i ride an electric bike and i can safely say that i would not be a 10 mile a day cyclist if it wasn't for that little extra battery power that gets me around. i don't own a car anymore because i was so confident with the electric bike. i like hybrid or touring style bikes because they are good in heavy traffic.

have girlfriend not married
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi everybody!

Welcome!!!!
Mick F. Cornwall
The Jazz

Post by The Jazz »

Ok, my turn..

Real Name - Richard.
Age 41
Married with 4year old twin daughters (one called Jasmine, hence the forum name).
Got a Westie too, hence the avatar.

Occupation - Telecomms manager

Planning LEJOG in June. Jasmine is also a LEJOG wannabe and, she tells me, so is her teddy.

Bikes - Dawes Audax Sport and Dawes discovery 301 (used for trying to keep up with my 4 year olds - Blimey, they are fast on those little Barbie bikes).

Sat on a Dawes Super Galaxy on friday and want one.

As passionate about fishing as I am about cycling, much to my wifes annoyance - both time consuming past-times.

Dislikes - none really (except those bl**dy postmen driving like maniacs to start their shift in Stevenage at 5am and not giving a second thought to anyone else on the road at that time). Grrrr.

Likes - lots, but particulary impressed with the advice given out on this forum. Very good indeed.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the nuthouse.

The Jazz wrote:Got a Westie too, hence the avatar.

P.S. I've not even got a wheelie bin
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
The Jazz

Post by The Jazz »

Cheers Gaz

Gaz wrote:
P.S. I've not even got a wheelie bin

Maybe you have a camping stove then, Gaz ?
gaz

Post by gaz »

The Jazz wrote:Maybe you have a camping stove then, Gaz ?

Yeah, converted from meths, just like me.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
The Jazz

Post by The Jazz »

The Jazz wrote:
Maybe you have a camping stove then, Gaz ?

Gaz wrote:
Yeah, converted from meths, just like me.

Gaz - Ha ha - gave me a chuckle on the way in to work...You lot are dead posh down there in Kent.
JQ666

Post by JQ666 »

Nationality: English (to a Scotsman), British to everyone else. Live in Bristol.

Status: Married, 1 daughter (2 years old) and another child on the way (due in May)

Bikes owned: Kona Jake (my commuter steed) and Specialized Hardrock (my first bike as an 'adult', now fitted with Kona P2 rigid forks, front mudguard, and rear rack and used for taking the 'scenic' route in the Summer)

Pastimes: Cycling, Running (doing the London Marathon in April for Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation: http://www.justgiving.com/jonathanquigleymarathon), re-living my childhood through my daughter.

Highlight of Cycling Career: Getting out of the car and onto a bike!

Interesting Fact: Antarctic winter sea ice is expanding (according to some 'experts').
charlieandjody

'ello there

Post by charlieandjody »

Hello there. Just joined the forum to gain some cycling knowledge (hopefully) as myself and my partner will be embarking on a tour from Cherbourg to Sicily in August of this year. The two of us are sharing this account so I've provided both people details...

Our real names: Charlie / Jody

(Both soon to be leaving our jobs for the tour though)

Favourite colour: don't have one / not sure

Bikes: Still deciding which one / Giant CRS 4

Not so interesting fact: Once stood on Ian McKellen's foot / Is a Kiwi

Website: http://jandcadventure.blogspot.com - our journal of the tour(s) to come.

Hi everybody!
JoanL

Post by JoanL »

Sounds like a lovely plan! Once you're fit, 100 miles a day will seem easy, though if you are carrying a lot of stuff, on a hilly section, perhaps a bit less would be better. At 20 miles a day you'll have a huge amount of time for sightseeing.

You'll have a great time.
meekychuppet

Post by meekychuppet »

Hello everybody. Here is my short & skinny:

Name: Adam

Cycling chronology:

Bike # 1: Raleigh Firefly, £30, second hand.
Bike # 2: Diamondback GT 10, £200
Bike # 3: Carrera GT, Free off my Pa.
Bike # 4: Scott Speedster S50, £500, wrecked in a collision.
Bike # 5: Scott CR1 - £1300, my current bike.

The Scott CR 1 has the following attachments: 2 x bottle holder, 2 x LED rear lights, Hope LED super duper lights, mounted for my HTC TyTN II phone with GPS.

I commute to university a minimum of twice a week, 42 mile round trip and I also ride it to football and other activities. My oldest son Jake has one and my partner also has a bike. When Luca is old enough (4 months right now) he'll get one too.

I am training for the Iron Man - I was hoping to enter in 2009 but the aforementioned collision that took care of my Speedster might alter that.

I am the safest cyclist I know, to the point where I recently tore a strip off another cyclist for blatantly ignoring a red light - the reason drivers hate us. I am also in recovery after a car accident that wrecked my bike and injured me so if anyone wants to bitch about young drivers I am the man to assist.

Nice to meet y'all.
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

Update time:

I'm moving to Cornwall at the end of the month to join my wife! A new job based in Truro becons, as do many more outings on our tandem.

We've also invested in a trailer - an Extra Wheel from Poland (Poles seem quite populal, or at least numerous in Cornwall...). Seem v. good so far. A few shopping trips with it tow should tell for real.

Stay tuned!
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Hey! Low Plains Drifter.
Why aren't you writing a book?

Jim :)
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

Not going to say anything about myself thus preferring to maintain my aura of mistique.