Puncture Outfits

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Puncture Outfits

Post by Mick F »

Just repairing a puncture ................... no, not another one on Bike, but one on Trailer!
I've not used Trailer for over a year :oops: and just got him out and found one of his tyres flat.
Thorn in the tyre, must've happened towards the latter stages of his last ride out.

Any road up, it's not about the repair of tubes I'm asking about.

It seems that over the years, all I've done is gone into a likely LBS and asked for a puncture outfit without taking any notice of make or value. I just handed over my dosh, and left.
What tends to happen, is that I run out of "normal sized" patches and/or glue, so I have to buy a new outfit.
This process take years, because I rarely get a puncture!
I'm now running out of glue and patches. Goodness knows how long ago I bought this present outfit - "Nike" is on the small orange plastic flip-top box.

Is there a puncture outfit out there with a good quality tin that you can easily buy replenishments for?
Is there a good make of outfit with good quality - and a good quantity - bits in there?
Are they always in piddling little boxes?
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Re: Puncture Outfits

Post by NUKe »

Mick
I buy patches in bulk Tip Top Rema do a size called F0 which is 14mm patch great for tyres around 23 or below and just as usable for bigger ones. I tend then to sell on to friends at cost the excess, or simply give a way to friends. Glue LBS usually stock the big tubes. for not too much money.

NUKe
NUKe

Post by reohn2 »

NUKe wrote:Mick
I buy patches in bulk Tip Top Rema do a size called F0 which is 14mm patch great for tyres around 23 or below and just as usable for bigger ones. I tend then to sell on to friends at cost the excess, or simply give a way to friends. Glue LBS usually stock the big tubes. for not too much money.

NUKe

+1.
Tip;when you've mended a tube squeeze the tube of glue so the glue is level with the nozzle before replacing the top,this eliminates air in the tube which causes the glue to 'disappear' by the time you need it again.
PS,I got my last lot of patches on Ebay:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Bike- ... 19da4aa8aa
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Bike-%20...%2019da4aa8aa

thats good value!

but tempting fate I think?
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I get the one's from Tesco. Or rather, my wife does whenever she pops in. Don't even know how much they are!

But if there is a quality one with decent sized patches, I'd certainly get it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

For long enough, in the days when I was so hard up I'd go on patching the same tube forever, I used to have mine in a tin from a motor cycle repair outfit. (BTW, only users call them "Puncture outfits." Manufacturers call them repair outfits.)

There's no real reason not to use any suitable tin you like. I used to replenish mine at places like York Rally and One Day Sales. It's a sort of Trigger's broom system, whereby you have a puncture outfit that's lasted years and you've had 11 tubes of glue and 14 sets of patches.) I say used to because more recently I've just carried a single small outfit (TipTip IIRC) in case I get a several punctures (which hasn't happened for a long time.) I've been told the baby buggy has a puncture so I'll be getting my stuff out tomorrow.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Ive always used Halfords. The glue seems pretty decent, has a long tube life and the patches stick pretty well.

Probably one of the few things I use from there mind.
Si

Post by Si »

I'd avoid Wilko - last one that I got from there had a tube completely devoid of glue!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Tip Top Rema remain my patch of choice, I'm not to fussed about who makes the glue.

I recently decided to but a bulk batch of patches off ebay, seems that I got a duff set as they won't pull cleanly away from the foil backing :evil: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Si wrote:I'd avoid Wilko - last one that I got from there had a tube completely devoid of glue!

very unusual, used wilko's finest for over 10 years. Their brake blocks are good value too.
db8000

Post by db8000 »

Rema Tip Top "Made in West Germany"

refilled a couple of times. I thought it was cool to keep the old box but probably just makes me look old before my time.

had a look at their website. refills of every part in every size and shape! : http://www.rematiptop-srl.com/zweiradpr ... rmaterial/

plus their bike stand looks the business. wish i had one of those! http://www.rematiptop-srl.com/zweiradpr ... estaender/
drossall

Post by drossall »

I haven't bought a kit in decades, although the odd free one has come my way and not really been used. I just refill the traditional tin that I got in my early riding days, with new patches and rubber solution. My kit is so old that I've got a proper grater for the chalk, instead of the toy things they "print" into the bottom of tins.

Personally, I swear by the strips that you cut to length, but we all have our own favourites. I mostly buy small tubes, partly because big ones don't fit in the tin, and partly because the solution would go off before I'd finished a big tube.

I am hitting a problem that my carefully-managed chalk is running out. Luckily, however, I've just been given a couple of ancient tins, by a friend whose relative used to be a rep for a cycle products company. I doubt that the patches or solution will be any good, but there is a length of precious chalk in each tin :D
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Si wrote:I'd avoid Wilko - last one that I got from there had a tube completely devoid of glue!

When in Wilkos, I grab three PRKs. I get 12 small patches and at least one tube of solution that has something in it :wink: .
( usually, all three tubes of solution are full ).

For £3.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Am I admitting my foolishness by suggesting traditional kits are not in my touring bags- I always carry the little boxes of 'stickers', and so far, after maybe 8+ (1st wrote 3, then realised I've been using them far longer than that) years of these, not had any problems with them- far less indeed than I ever did with glue, chalk, etc., and they're so damn quick and simple. Fit in my wallet too, so never forget them. Glue never dries. No wasted glue that needs talcing, etc. Why use traditional outfits? :?
Si

Post by Si »

mrjemm wrote:Am I admitting my foolishness by suggesting traditional kits are not in my touring bags- I always carry the little boxes of 'stickers', and so far, after maybe 8+ (1st wrote 3, then realised I've been using them far longer than that) years of these, not had any problems with them- far less indeed than I ever did with glue, chalk, etc., and they're so damn quick and simple. Fit in my wallet too, so never forget them. Glue never dries. No wasted glue that needs talcing, etc. Why use traditional outfits? :?

I've found them OK on lower pressures but not s good as proper patches with glue on high pressure tubes.