LEJoG - new, squeaky clean, new member!!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
CafGriff

Re: LEJoG - new, squeaky clean, new member!!

Post by CafGriff »

Evening Everyone!! :)
I'm getting excited no, tommorow I have booked in my bicycle for the last 'thorough' deep service, before my journey!!! :shock:
I'm also due to collect front panniers from a friend, and nipping into town to get to Evans and to pick up 2 x boxes of 'GoodnessShake' recovery drinks!! :lol:
I've ordered new tyres - from I can't remember - which I shall put on before Friday. I'm still studting the weather patterns and preying that the snows and ice Gods are kind to me, whatever they are going to drop, drop now and for the next 2 weeks or even that the waters in and around Somerset can receed enough for me to pass through. :wink:

I'm putting a call out to Mattfen to get in contact !! :D
Hun! I've sent a few PM's to you ..... I think??!!! I'm not sure the pidgeon has landed cos you haven't come back, which is making my doubt whether I have grasped this PM business.

I shall keep everyone intouch with my plans, I cold do with some info regards 'Waterworld' up and around .. Nailsea, Wedmore along the B3151 - to Cheddar A371 to Axminster on to the NCN 26 to Winscombe/Sanford; when I reach Congresbury I want to get on The Strawberry Line to Yatton and the Avon Cycleway NCN 41 over to Clapton in Gordano and Pill - and acording to the YHAroyue I'm following there are at least 2 x NCN routes ( 10 and 41 ) leading to Severn Bridge neither are direct and minor roads B4057, B4055 are fairly quiet. R these still dry ? ish? :shock:
I'm looking to do The Severn Estuary crossing into Chepstow and then The Wye valley to touch Tintern Abbey. and then Redbrook.

I'm still very much up for this .... Ha!!
I have a little philosofee on life - on your tombstone you will find 2 dates, one is your birth date, the other your death date. Both of these dates is seperated by a dash. For me THAT DASH should be BIG, FAT and FULL, it should mirror your life. Do you know what I mean?
SHINE ON MOONBEAMS !!!!
CafGriff

Post by CafGriff »

ok Peeps!! :D Get your jackets on, we're off !! :shock: Loafer!!! Yes Another route!!!
I'm aimimg for YHA's or cheap n clean accomm's so suggestions for these I will be all ears!!

I'm off doing The Epic from Lands End on March 8th Sat - 8.ooam ( yes ) on the A30, it's the only road in Cornwall! and the quickest way out of the county. onwards to Newquay secured accomm, Thats Sun after 63 miles. / to Bridgewater - 70 miles suggestions for a bed please - on to Goodrich ( Welsh Bicknor ) 73 miles thats on the Tues 11th March / to Clun, 54 miles ( suggestion for a bed please ) on to Poulton - Le - Fylde 71 miles, staying with family / to keswick, 78 miles ( Sat 15th ) on to Moffat, 73 miles ( accom suggestions here please ) Mon 17th I'll be heading in to Glasgow after 60 miles - definate suggestions for accom here please !? ) then Tues over to Bridge of Orchy, over night stay Wed 19th to Kilfinnan, 60 miles / Inverness or further 43 miles/ to Crask inn, 65 miles on the Fri 21st / to Betty Hill 32 miles and finally JOG!!!!! :lol:
Then I'm off to either Wick ( or back to Thurso ) to jump on the train to journey home.
Yes, I know, I'm leaving it late to finalise the plan of invasion - oh! I mean trip of a life time, BUT I have stewed oever this isuse - as I'm sure - EVERY LEJoGger has but a number of issues have hurdled me and been a pain for me to overcome.
Guys!! Come join me!! come show me a better way or Shout at me if you think this is all rubbish!!
SHINE ON MOONBEAMS !!!!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Loads of B&B in Moffat to choose from. This www.lockerbielorrypark.co.uk is 30 minutes before Moffat turn off and maybe more affordable. Will also save you climb out of Moffat in the morning if you were to choose the shortest route.
Glasgow, I'm sure the Hostel will be open
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Well done! Have you managed to find some company? Is mattfen joining you in the end? Hope the weather is reasonable - fingers crossed!
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

That's great news!

Accomdation:-

Is the hostel at Clun not available? The one at Bridges http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/bridges isn't too far off your route.

Scotland is much better supplied with hostels SYHA have a hostel in Glasgow http://www.syha.org.uk/

There are several Independents http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/

Many Scottish hotels have bunkhouse style accommodation attached. This site may be useful. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/hostels.shtml

Wishing you luck and a following wind.
CafGriff

Post by CafGriff »

Hi Guys!!

How's this for a safer route through Scotland :shock:
I know some of you have expressed concern for the lowly, solo Devon Dumpling and I love you for that :lol:
How about Day 7 of the trip March 14th - Scorton to Laithes = 80 miles :)
March 15th - Laithes to Abington = lots more miles ( lost my list for a minute under the mountain of other routes I'm ploughing through !! :roll:
Abington to Arrochar = 78 miles on March 16th / Arrochar to Fort Willam = 70 miles on the 17th / FW to Inverness = 63 miles on the 18th on to Crask Inn / Bettyhill and eventually !!!!! ValHallah !!!! :shock:
I can't NOT seem to tough the dreaded A82 ... What do you think ? :wink:
anyone want to come a find ot the real ingredients of proper Pasties!! Meet me for a drink on route.
SHINE ON MOONBEAMS !!!!
SHINE ON MOONBEAMS !!!!
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

The worst bit of the A82 is at the bottom end of Loch Lomond where the road is very narrow (there is a single lane section controlled by traffic lights). The road widens further on and there is a pavement mounted cycle path. You may find the road OK. It is early in the season and well before Easter so the traffic may not be too bad.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
wynclayton

Post by wynclayton »

Hi, I wish you luck and good fun on your ride. I am intending to cycle route solo and with no real backup plans. I will be setting off on April 23rd, well that's when my train ticket is for, who knows how my bike is actually going to get beyond Dawlish!!
I am a 67 year old woman and not a strong cyclist, intend to do around 50 miles a day. I did have a good training regime planned but awful weather and now a persistent chesty cough have interfered so it feels somewhat watered down.
Not planned route in detail yet but pretty clear up to Bristol. Think I need to see how I am going before I book much accommodation.
I do sometimes feel rather daunted by the whole thing and am having trouble sleeping because of all the thoughts and 'what iffs' running round my head. Other times I think, 'Its just a long bike ride what's there to worry about?'
I have family in Manchester so will go via them (will be needing to get a grandchildren fix by then) I live in Kendal so will pop home on the way (although I've been told that's a bad move) I reckon its about halfway so I can gird my loins for the scary Scottish bit. I do have dreams about being stranded in the dark on an isolated Scottish moor in the mist with no phone signal.

Be good to hear how you get on, if your route takes you near Kendal you are most welcome to stay at my house.
mattfen

Post by mattfen »

Bah - just had a text from Cathy that she has had to abandon her LEJOG effort due to road closures, punctures and bad luck.
Cathy - when you get back I hope you mark a sodding great big X on the map and one day start from there. Don't let the dream die or the pedals stop turning. xx
CafGriff

Post by CafGriff »

Hello My Fellow CTC Forum GanG!!! :D
Yes, I have started ... did and conquered Cornwall / Devon and up to Street in Somerset. I have placed that 'sodden' great big X in the map, AND I have already started to put in place - Part 2 - of the Epic journey!! :lol:
I can only speak of a brilliant weekend - fantastic blue skies and sunshinie weekend!! Land's End and Cornwall are EXTREMELY hilly, which is what I knew and expected, stunning, stunning views and smiley friendly people, only too eager to help and set you on the right course. Followed mainly Cycling Route 3 going from L's E, to Newquay - Okhampton - Taunton, through Tiverton and aiming for Bridgwater and Cheddar - easier than I at first thought, and if not following the route then the finger directions at the direction posts are true and clear. EXCPECT for Bodmin, we went wronge twice and it cost us, time, energy - travelling up the hillys, those bloody hills and worry over both those things put together!! :shock:
All of the roads we covered - Thats myself and my fellow cyclist Clayton, ( Nicki his chick, was the support driver who carried my bags for the follow on trip to the Cheddar area, where the plan was they were going to leave me, solo. :? - were beautiful, 'chocolate box' hamlets and thatched roof cottages, situated literally across the roads from churches or The Post Offices.
Beautiful, beatuiful beautiful. !!
Devon was the same- my home county - equally bloody hilly but with blue sky, green hedging and fields and clear roads, Stunning, stunning, stunning!! 8) I can't faulter my first 3 days of the trip. Felt fresh, strong and extremely enthused by this adventure. we'd been chased by a little Terrier running out of a farm, what a laugh - he spurred us on, the owner shouted his apologise, us shouting out, 'No worries'!! birds churping, birds of prey hovering and hunting. Flies buzzing around!, people out walking, running, cycling, dog walking - all with no jackets or 3rd layers on!! we ran out of water before 1 pm on the Sunday!! :D

Then we hit Moorland and was advised to follow the A361 - I think it was - or A391? can't remember, anyway, lovely level road for miles, then the branch feeding othrer roads all fed in to the Wells / Glastonbury road and flippin' 'ell !! what a shock :shock: Don't get me wrong folks, like all of us I am an experienced cyclist, but ... crumbling roads, due to water damage or heavy traffic, all on the left side of the carriageway.... all traffic vehicles, big lorries, I mean BIG lorries, delivery vans all on a time schedule ( you get the picture ) + I had been unfortunate to have 5 punctures in the space of just under 2 hours!! My rear inner tube looked like it had measles!! unbelievable!! In the interest of mine and Clay's safety, I called thetune!! We were still 15 or so iles from Glastonbury and my objective was The Strawberry Line out of Cheddar, but we had to journey there first on the road that was not of choice.

I'm gutted that I had to pull out, but still acheved and saw off what I believe to be the hardest part of the country. :D
We covered a 5th of the trip, and loved every rotation of the road trip. When we reached Padstow, just as we were coasting into the beginning of The Camel Trail and getting to the car park, a crowd of Vespa's and scooters - about 12 / 15 of them all bussed past us and then were cool enough to have a bunch of pictures taken with us. What a buzz!!

Next year - we are due to book very soon - the 3 of us and Jimmy, my hubby and Alice the dog, will be hiring a motor home for 2 weeks and completeing the journey, down from JoG's travelling the other way. Clay and myself, biking, and the vehicle trailing away as back up, that way, if we cover 60 / 70 or ore miles, we can stop where we like!!
Some one crack me a beer!!
I'm working on getting the pictures on this blog! bear wuth me.
Can I say a huge Thank You to advise and potential ' meeting of various peope. on this site.
If any of you are around Tiverton Tesco's there is a burger van tucked away in the corner, in the car park. He's called James ... he supplied us with free T and coffee ... Whata boy!!
SHINE ON MOONBEAMS !!!!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

What a shame - but well done for getting as far as you did. It was always going to be dodgy at this time of year. Amazingly this week has been sunny and still so far but the forecast for next week is not looking good. I'm sorry not to meet you but quite glad to be spared Rannoch Moor in rain/sleet and strong headwind.... :shock:

Better luck next year!
CafGriff

Post by CafGriff »

Yep, planning for next year for sure. This time we will be hiring a motor home, starting form JoG's, myslef and Clay will be cycling and Jimmy - my husband, Nicki Clay's other half and Alice the dog will be all venturing down the highways. That way we can stop every 60 / 70 miles and planned this time around and stopping where we like in either a nice looking pub car park or a caravan / camping ground etc. The mileage and physical challenge were not an issue for me; I was quietly proud of my own achievements especially around the Cornish routes. The hills came a round too quickly, one after the other. The fete to settle down in the saddle, get comfee in your gears, get yr head down and just get a nice rythum to climb to the top of the hills, is doable and extremely rewarding - the views stunning!! ... so the physical demand is not in question, buy I must say ... my decision to pull the plug was due to health and safety, 5 puntures in less thatn 2 hours, on heavy traffic laden roads that due to water damage and the higher volume of traffic ( which is addition breaking the roads up even more )
Myself and Clay will spend the next year, still covering 50 / 60 mileage cycle outs every 2 / 3 weeks. I had app on my phone, which was a Maverick mapping devise which started off ok, but having been kept on for 8 hrs at a time, kept 'dropping out' all too often. I shall invest in a Garmin before the year is out ( even if it's a little 2 nd hand one - if anyone out there wants to move one on get in touch ) Guys!! if anything, my little toe dip into this adventure has simply wetted my appitite and shown me this is very much doable and very much .... on the tip of my front wheel.
A question I have.... If I keep my paperwork from land's End - the Cycling form to say that I have excepted the challenge, could I still 'cary iy over 'til next year do you Reckon?
SHINE ON MOONBEAMS !!!!