CTC head honcho

robgul

CTC head honcho

Post by robgul »

... just seen a recruitment ad for "CTC Chief Executive" ... have I missed a news item somewhere?

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
JamesE

Re: CTC head honcho

Post by JamesE »

He's quitting to join the Eden Project. The CTC themselves don't seem to have bothered announcing it, though.
robgul

Post by robgul »

JamesE wrote:He's quitting to join the Eden Project. The CTC themselves don't seem to have bothered announcing it, though.

Ah - frying pan and fire spring to mind!

Rob
Si

Post by Si »

I think that a statement went out a while back:

CTC Chief Executive Gordon Seabright will be leaving the national cycling charity at the end of May to take up a new role as Director of the world famous Eden Project in Cornwall.

This is a great personal achievement for Gordon and recognition of the profile that CTC now has in the charity sector.

Gordon has led CTC for two years, having taken over from Kevin Mayne. During his time with the organisation he introduced a new strategy, brought serving CTC’s members to the fore, and worked with governments in London and elsewhere in the UK to increase support for cycling.

CTC will now commence recruiting Gordon’s successor, and an advertisement will be on our web site www.ctc.org.uk/vacancies in the next few days. CTC will be seeking a leader who will continue the development of our charity in the coming years. The Council is committed to CTC’s role as the national organisation supporting cyclists across the UK, creating a healthier, cleaner world, making people feel good and sharing the sense of freedom and fun that cycling brings.

Enquiries to Jacqui Shannon, etc
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I know nothing about the person on the way out, other than what I've read on here, ie very little, but I'd make the general point that chief executives of charities are pretty much interchangeable in the 21C.
robgul

Post by robgul »

thirdcrank wrote:I know nothing about the person on the way out, other than what I've read on here, ie very little, but I'd make the general point that chief executives of charities are pretty much interchangeable in the 21C.

.... and interchange (jobs) quite frequently ...

Rob
horizon

Post by horizon »

I think he'll find it quite a shock. The Eden Project is anything but an environmentally friendly project. I've taken a cycling group to Eden only to find that this supposed nirvana for anything green is nothing of the sort for cyclists - a few sheffield stands in the (enormous) car park is what you get. There are lockers (good) and a discount (good) but otherwise the Eden Project is a car based theme park attraction like all the others. You certainly don't get any nearer than you would do by car. But it is Eden's support for the road-building schemes across the south west that really sickens me: it negates every single message they've carefully presented at the project itself. If the ex-CTC man can change that then all well and good - Eden has a long way to go.

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Gov ... story.html
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Philip Benstead

CTC announces departure of CEO - From pedals to petals

Post by Philip Benstead »

CTC announces departure of CEO
From pedals to petals

CTC Chief Executive Gordon Seabright has announced that he will be leaving the charity at the end of May 2014 after a two-year tenure to become Director of the Eden Project. In an interview with Cycling Weekly, Gordon said: “I wasn’t expecting to be moving on and I wasn’t looking to go. CTC is a wonderful organisation.” Do you think you could follow in Gordon's tyre treads? The process has started to recruit his replacement. The closing date for applications is Monday 24 March and interviews will be held on Friday 4 April.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/fil ... advert.pdf

Chief Executive - £72,500pa
Based in Guildford, Surrey.

CTC is one of the largest and most respected cycling organisations in the world. We
work across the nations of the UK, serving 66,000 members and promoting cycling for
touring, for sport, for fun, for transport, for health, and to enrich lives and communities.
The Chief Executive of CTC is one of the most influential and exciting jobs in cycling at
a time when cycling is enjoying national recognition and popularity and is seen as an
answer to key issues of transport, sustainability, health and social inclusion. CTC, with
its high quality policy advice, its network of member groups and local campaigners and
its cycling development work with local communities is in a unique position to influence
policy and push for changes that enhance cycling. We always work in partnership with
other cycling groups and organisations and are respected by policy makers and other
representative bodies.
We now seek an exceptional Chief Executive with:
• a track record of delivering results through operational excellence in the business,
voluntary or public sectors
• experience of management in a complex environment with multiple stakeholders
• the ability to advocate for cycling at all levels and be a credible ambassador for CTC
For a full job description, person specification and details of the application process go
to our web site http://www.ctc.org.uk/vacancies
CTC is committed to equality of opportunity in everything it does. Charity Number 1147607
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
mjr

Post by mjr »

66000 members? It's lost four thousand while British cycling has been growing? :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Please can Gordon or someone else explain this statement:

"I wasn’t expecting to be moving on and I wasn’t looking to go. CTC is a wonderful organisation."

Did he want to stay, was he pushed out or what?

I have lived in outwith the Home Counties for many years, I am a bit out of touch financially ;-). GBP 72 500 seems an awful lot to me, is it really a lot?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 11 Feb 2020, 10:42am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gaz

Post by gaz »

Around about 86,500 Euro.

Also around about half the Prime Minister's salary, so running the CTC must be about half as difficult as running the whole UK :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
RickH

Post by RickH »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Please can Gordon or someone else explain this statement:

"I wasn’t expecting to be moving on and I wasn’t looking to go. CTC is a wonderful organisation."

Did he want to stay, was he pushed out or what?

I have lived in Germany for many years, I am a bit out of touch financially :wink:. GBP 72 500 seems an awful lot to me, is it really a lot?

My guess (I have no explicit info so am only speculating here) would be that he was "headhunted".

gaz wrote:Also around about half the Prime Minister's salary, so running the CTC must be about half as difficult as running the whole UK :wink: .

As it is also around the mid range of the school heads' pay scale does that mean running a school is also about half as difficult as running the whole UK? :D

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Si

Post by Si »

gaz wrote:Around about 86,500 Euro.

Also around about half the Prime Minister's salary, so running the CTC must be about half as difficult as running the whole UK :wink: .

C'mon, if a politician can run the country then anyone can.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I have lived in Germany for many years, I am a bit out of touch financially ;-). GBP 72 500 seems an awful lot to me, is it really a lot?

It doesn't seem like so much to me. Not to be the top executive of an organisation as large as the CTC. I wouldn't expect salaries as high as those in industry, but a successful middle manager can make that much in many industries in the UK.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

To those of us who live in the real world, £72,500 a year is a fortune. For Wayne Rooney it's loose change!

I think the big question should be - will the advert attract someone who loves cycling and believes in the product, or will CTC get a professional executive who will go where the salary is most attractive?