8 speed bar ends running 9 speed?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Trikeyohreilly

8 speed bar ends running 9 speed?

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I'm thinking of changing my twist grip shifters to bar end shifters on my trike.

The eight speed bar ends are £20 cheaper. Now I'm thinking that wouldn't work normally on my 9 speed set up. However I always run my right hand (cassette shifter) in friction mode not indexed.

So it should work fine right? I'm not sure enough to order them though.

Thank you. Ed
axel_knutt

Re: 8 speed bar ends running 9 speed?

Post by axel_knutt »

They both pull 20mm of cable in total, so as long as you're only using friction they should be OK. What you can't do is switch to indexed, and expect to be able to use 8 out of the 9 sprockets.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
fossala

Post by fossala »

For friction only these are meant to be very good.
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 1s108p1317
Fairly cheap as well.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Broadly I agree with the above. However some models of bar end/thumbshifter have an 'extra click' in them, i.e. when in gear #1 position the shifter will move further, if the mech doesn't stop it.

If the cable can be remounted on the rear mech to reduce the cable pull e.g. 'hubbub' style then you may be able to make nominally 8s shifters run a 9s setup OK. In a shimano system you would be looking to alter the shift ratio by about 10%, which isn't that much.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robgul

Post by robgul »

fossala wrote:For friction only these are meant to be very good.
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 1s108p1317
Fairly cheap as well.

I looked at those - but thought that the risk of stabbing your knee on the bare metal was a problem (Shimano Bar ends have a plastic sleeve on them) .... the knee stab reminds of riding a bike in the 60s with early campag bar ends that were VERY sharp!

... and I've found that Shimano bar ends of whatever variety work with 6, 7, 8 & 9 speed in friction mode - you very soon get the feel of the amount of lever to move for smooth changes.

Rob [My 4 geared drop-bar machines all with bar-ends in friction mode!]
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
fossala

Post by fossala »

Brucey wrote:Broadly I agree with the above. However some models of bar end/thumbshifter have an 'extra click' in them, i.e. when in gear #1 position the shifter will move further, if the mech doesn't stop it.

If the cable can be remounted on the rear mech to reduce the cable pull e.g. 'hubbub' style then you may be able to make nominally 8s shifters run a 9s setup OK. In a shimano system you would be looking to alter the shift ratio by about 10%, which isn't that much.

cheers

I use 7 shifters with 8 cassette doing the same. It is easier to go from 7-8 as the spacing is the same though, just a bigger dish.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

That's great. Thanks.

The ones at spa just confirm again " No Index positions... works with all systems" . Unfortunately once I've added postage they are more expensive. Can't remember now if they are Dura Ace or Tiagra at CRC but they are the same price, free shipping. Also the rest of my drive chain is shimano.

Thanks again.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

i've got 7 speed shimano bar cons, running 10 speed campag in friction mode, although to be fair its only 9 speed ,coz I can't get the last little one to work, If I CBA I would just dremel away the 'stops' on the lever, as there isn't quite enough pull. Worked fine with 9 speed campag tho, even passable in index mode, only a slight hiccup in mid range But to be honest i prefer friction only anyway, and never really use the small cog. Only got 10 speed instead of 9, because halfords were selling 13-26 campag 10 speed for £16 :shock: :shock: so I bought 5
RJS

Post by RJS »

I've got dura ace barend shifters, they are marked 8/9 speed, very touchy to get indexing perfectly in 9 speed, not surprising I've always thought if they are supposed to do both :o
Cheers, Rob.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the 8/9s Dura-Ace shifters will only do Dura-Ace 8s shifting. Dura-Ace 6,7,8s shifting uses a different shift ratio to 9s, but it just happens that the cable pull per click is the same for DA 8s and 9s. All shimano 9s is the same but 6,7,8s Dura-Ace is a breed apart from other shimano.

If you struggle to get the indexed shifting to work with these levers I'd suggest that you might like to check the cables carefully; being longer than some other types their condition is more important.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~