Terra Nova Laser Competition 1 Tent - Good choice?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pjclinch

Re: Terra Nova Laser Competition 1 Tent - Good choice?

Post by pjclinch »

hamster wrote:
Correct - thsat's what your post was about I thought. However the Hilleberg Taliban always emerge from their Nallos to change the subject on any tent thread! 8)

The Nallo is the work of infidels with its one door. The True Path of the Red Label is the Kaitum!
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Personally, I would steer clear of tents that pitch inner first. At least the Laser Comp pitches the correct way, outer first :D
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

All else being equal I'd go for fly-first and/or all-in-one, but all else tends not to be equal.

We picked up an MSR Hubba HP and a Hubba-Hubba HP cheap for some jobs and they're good tents, even if pitching in the rain is a bit more of a faff. If the price is right and the tent otherwise does what you want don't let an inner-first pitch put you off, it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

As for tents getting hot, any tent pitched in the sun on a hot, still day will get hot inside. It's not a design fault, it's a fact of life. Venting will help, but it's not a miracle cure, any more than opening the windows in a greenhouse is. Through venting (i.e., a big door either side) is IME better than a see flap opening somewhere.

Pete.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

I used a laser that I borrowed from a friend of mine for one trip.
It was very light, but I found it quite cramped, I'm only 5' 8"
I've got a Quasar now, I like it a lot, but have not used it on a bike tour yet. When I used the laser I only had 2 panniers, but now I have 4, so should have plenty room.
I always travel as light as possible, whether backpacking or cycle touring.
One tip I always try and follow is Try and have multiple uses for every item you carry, helps to keep things light.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
PH

Post by PH »

Mattie wrote:Personally, I would steer clear of tents that pitch inner first. At least the Laser Comp pitches the correct way, outer first :D

Have you used both? Of equal quality?
I have and I'm happy to accept the very occasional inconvenience of getting the inner damp erecting in the rain, for the more rigid structure and the ease of separating the inner and fly when the fly is soaking wet with condensation.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Yes I have. I sold ny Terra Nova Solar 2.2, which is inner first. Given it had two poles to sort out and peg down, before you got the fly sheet over the top, it could take a few minutes in the pouring rain - not ideal

I still have an all mesh inner MSR Hubba which, is quicker to erect, but still would get inner wet in pouring rain.

With the Laser Comp I would just unhook the inner tent and wipe down the condensation, while the outer is all taught and in place, and then clip the inner tent back in place before packing it all up.

To me it is worth the effort to know that if I arrive somewhere in the rain I can unpack something nice and dry to sleep in - arriving somewhere in the rain and unpacking a tent, that was already wet, would cause me consternation ! :D

Anyway, each to their own and I know what you mean.
PH

Post by PH »

Mattie wrote:Anyway, each to their own and I know what you mean.

I'd agree with that.
I love my Solar 2.2, easy to put up in any weather, rigid, huge doors... on the rare occasion where I've got the inner wet putting it up, less water has made it's way into the tent than I've brought in with me.
It replaced an Akto which I couldn't get on with at all, partly because early starts usually meant packing it away damp.
It is each to their own, it's often seen as a one way argument, to me the big advantages of an inner first tent comes from it's rigidity, if that was equal and it was easy to separate, I'd probably prefer an outer first design.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

PH wrote:to me the big advantages of an inner first tent comes from it's rigidity

Rigidity isn't that much to do with whether something goes up inner or outer first IME. Yes, a Solar 2.2 will be more rigid than an Akto, but that's because it has two crossed poles and an Akto is a single hoop. I have my doubts that the Solar would be significantly more rigid than, say, a Hille Unna (two crossed poles).

Comparing my Tarra to a next-door Quasar in a blow we estimated as around Force 8, the poles on neither were really moving much. The Tarra was noisier, but I think that was because of the greater amount of unsupported fabric in the (significantly larger!) porches, and more wind noise from the external poles. Over the main body of the tents both (with similar pole configurations) weren't going anywhere to speak of.

Also note that rigidity is actually a two-edged sword to some degree in a real blow. A tent that can bow a little to gusts can get away with being lighter than one which has to stay rigidly put and take it. So the default polar exploration tent (i.e., a place where failure is not an option) is the Hilleberg Keron despite more rigid geodesics in their range. But being able to move with a blow is a two-edged sword too... much noisier in a tunnel in a blow than a geodesic, all else being equal.

Pete.
PH

Post by PH »

pjclinch wrote:
PH wrote:to me the big advantages of an inner first tent comes from it's rigidity

Rigidity isn't that much to do with whether something goes up inner or outer first IME.

Sorry Pete, but I think you're wrong. The outer bearing down on a pole structure that is already in place will make for a more rigid structure than one where the fabric is suspended from it, even if that is suspended from a sleeve. the Hille Unna is clever, as is the Alleck which if I had the funds would be my next tent, but the poles being fixed in place will mean that rigidity is compromised if the ground is uneven, where as the outer going over the top of the poles will better accommodate this. My Solar 2.2 has been up on some rough pitches, it goes up tight and stable, first time, every time.
Also note that rigidity is actually a two-edged sword to some degree in a real blow

accepted, a rigid structure is either up or down, I've seen tunnel tents blow almost flat and come up again, that isn't going to happen with my Solar.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

PH wrote:
pjclinch wrote:

Rigidity isn't that much to do with whether something goes up inner or outer first IME.

Sorry Pete, but I think you're wrong. The outer bearing down on a pole structure that is already in place will make for a more rigid structure than one where the fabric is suspended from it, even if that is suspended from a sleeve.

Note my careful choice of words! "Isn't that much to do with", rather than "isn't anything to do with". If it made a practical difference then nobody would bother with externally poled expedition geodesics because they'd be clearly inferior... but they not only do, they use them successfully. In other words, better in theory and tangibly better in actual practice are not really the same thing.

Pete.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Well, we have heard all about it and discussed its merits, but we have not seen enough pictures of the thing itself !

So a couple from me:

One in Venice. Temperature during the day of 35'C and with the sun on the tent it rose to 50'C. Trying to shade it and not using the inner - notice ant powder as sleeping on the floor with bugs and all.

Ordered the replacement MSR which is next to it and arrived from cheaptents uk that morning, the Laser Comp was posted home.

The next one is standard taken in France. The pitch is actually up on a mound and gives the optical illusion that it is bigger than a caravan, ayway the picture gives an idea of the thing in normal use. All good fun :D

leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

willem jongman wrote:Depending on conditions and budget, the Hilleberg Anjan 2 is another option for a more comfortable solo tent (though marketed as a tent for two, and with some justification). It is essentially a three season Nallo 2. Its weight (1.7 kg) is only a little bit more than most solo tents (bar the very lightest), and it is far more spacious, easier to get into, and better ventilated. It all depends on your priorities/intended use and budget.
Willem

Hi
I agree very much with use of a Hilleberg Anjan 2. I have one. Mine actually weights around 1.6 kg and I find the size fantastic as the weight is more or less the same as my previous favourite the Hilleberg Akto which whilst a great tent is pretty small (although it has a big porch for storage and cooking).
Best regards,
John
Last edited by leftpoole on 8 May 2014, 11:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

Thanks for all replies guys and sorry for delay.

Really great advice and photos and you helped me settle on the Atko which I have now purchased.
The Anjan 2 was out of my price range and a little too big for my needs. The Atko with the porch for my stuff will be ideal.

Thanks AGAIN,
Rich
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mattie wrote:Personally, I would steer clear of tents that pitch inner first. At least the Laser Comp pitches the correct way, outer first :D

I wouldnt buy any tent these days that doesnt pitch both at the same time! inner first, outer first ? both are silly ideas!