BBC PRESENTERS SALARIES !

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: BBC PRESENTERS SALARIES !

Post by thirdcrank »

On the question of who gets prosecuted, IM(not recent)E, it's whoever's at home when the investigator knocks. I've sat through endless TV licence prosecution lists at court and I don't remember any where the person at home when Big Bro called didn't get the summons. My experience dates from the days when there was a special gasp of horror if it was revealed that the feckless ne're-do-well without a licence had a colour telly :shock: :shock: :shock: cue for an HM Bateman cartoon. I suppose there must be loophole cases, but I've never sat through one.

There are various bodies which undertake their own prosecutions, eg RSPCA and the Pharmaceutical Society and I don't even know if the TV licence prosecutions are done by the CPS or the TVLA themselves. I do know - and this is confirmed by my link somewhwre above - that TV licence prosecutions are the only ones which are sufficiently numerous to be statistically significant compared with the police/CPS stuff. I remember a couple of Pharmaceutical Society cases (assistants in pharmacy dispensing prescriptions while pharmacist not present) but it was their rarity that makes them memorable.

I was surprised how few of the subsequent fine defaulters in the current stats (again, see my earlier link) were sent down. I've seen more than that committed to prison in a single afternoon in one default court, although there was often somebody in court prepared for that result who would come down to the Bridewell and pay the fine before the Norman Stanley Fletcher routine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:On the question of who gets prosecuted, IM(not recent)E, it's whoever's at home when the investigator knocks.
That should be fun in the scenario I originally suggested! :lol:

Only one of four over 21's at home, and their mum and dad are out.
No TVL and the "authorities" come round knocking at the door coz there's no TVL registered.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think you are missing the point: there are enough potential offences to cover just about every set of circumstances,with the possible exception of there being a set installed but not actually in use, and none of the people present having any connection with it.

It's only very recently that the tide has turned. That moment can be identified from when the no-licence ads changed from the knock on the door scenario to stressing how easy it was to pay by direct debit etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok,
That makes sense.
Mick F. Cornwall