The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
kingrollo

The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Post by kingrollo »

More precisley the flag pole - any ideas where I can buy in the uk ? - or order from

This is all I can find - looks a bit flimsy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Safety- ... =bike+flag

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bike-Bicycle-Sa ... =bike+flag
[XAP]Bob

Re: The Dreaded Flag - Where to buy...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

ICE sell theirs, 3 section fibreglass pole...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think we got one at Cycles UK. We made our own flag, though. :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Surely a telescopic tent pole can be modified to suit? It's only an elastic cord in the middle that needs cutting to suit.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Noooo, don't do it :wink:
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

What you need is a 6 or 8 mm fibre glass pole depending on the size of the flag fitment on the machine (most are 8mm, but with care it can be sanded down to fit a 6mmm holder. The 8mm is less flexible in wind.

Tent poles tend to be unusual widths in .5 or .9 configurations, secondly the joints are not "tight" as they are held in place by tension. As a result they are poor substitutes

Also go for the solid fibreglass, as the tubular rods (including carbon fibre) crack easily in this form.

Available online or from many kite shops.

THen give Helen at [url=www.raindropkites.co.uk] Raindrop kites{/url] a bell.

I have had half a dozen flags made to my own design from Celtic knotwork, through Dragons to cats.

She is very amenable, and will make to any size, shape or colour you want, but will soon tell you if it will clash or isimpracticable

This is her Dragon on my old Trice

These are the cats on my Catrike:

Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The latter at 4 feet are too short

Otherwise perfectly fine

Another tip is that depending on the way the flag pole is sometimes there are stress fractures where the tube leaves the holding tube

By starting with afoot longer than you think, this allows three fractured sections to be cut out
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

For poles, I use 6 mm fibreglass rod, which I buy from East Coast Fibreglass Supplies in 5 m lengths, which I cut down to give me three poles. (To cut the fibreglass, I go outside, use a junior hacksaw and wear gloves, otherwise you'll get nasty bits of fibreglass in your hands.)

6 mm rod is good for HP Velotechnik and ICE cycles. (I noticed HP Velotechnik pole I received recently with a Gekko trike has a plastic coating over the fibreglass, but I had to cut some of this away in order to get an easy fit of the pole, so 5 mm rod may be better, for the Gekko.)

For attaching flags and things, I find mini foldback clips, which I get from my local branch of Staples are just right to go round the pole. Flags or streamers with clips can also be easily attached.

If the flag has a sleeve, the fibreglass rod can simply be inserted into the sleeve. For flags with eyelets, I use flag bungees and wrap them through the eyelet and round the pole.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

MuirSR wrote:For poles, I use 6 mm fibreglass rod, which I buy from East Coast Fibreglass Supplies in 5 m lengths, which I cut down to give me three poles. (To cut the fibreglass, I go outside, use a junior hacksaw and wear gloves, otherwise you'll get nasty bits of fibreglass in your hands.)

6 mm rod is good for HP Velotechnik and ICE cycles. (I noticed HP Velotechnik pole I received recently with a Gekko trike has a plastic coating over the fibreglass, but I had to cut some of this away in order to get an easy fit of the pole, so 5 mm rod may be better, for the Gekko.)

For attaching flags and things, I find mini foldback clips, which I get from my local branch of Staples are just right to go round the pole. Flags or streamers with clips can also be easily attached.

If the flag has a sleeve, the fibreglass rod can simply be inserted into the sleeve. For flags with eyelets, I use flag bungees and wrap them through the eyelet and round the pole.

GAffer tape around the cut point solves many of he issues ns always use a new blade
kingrollo

Post by kingrollo »

Cheers guys.....

A few of us in the office got together to design a flag (not all suggestions were politically correct ) - I ve sent the basic the helen @ rainbow kites

If I buy a single pole - what method do I have of putting it together - so it will fit under the garage door - or do I just attach it when I get out..........are there...like....joiny things - I cab buy...
RickH

Post by RickH »

When I wanted something for my trailer, a Carry Freedom City, (because it is very low & I wasn't sure vehicles behind me would remember that it was there behind me when in slow traffic) I bought a couple of sections of fibre glass tent pole & some shock cord from Go Outdoors & made my own. In my case I wanted to be able to reduce the length to fit inside the length of the trailer (700mm) while still attached. I used the end with the metal sleeve cut off one pole piece as the mounting socket for the pole.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
kingrollo

Post by kingrollo »

Just an update - I brought an Icetrike flag with a hard shell seat mount hoping I could attach this somewhere to my Bacchetta ................no luck yet !!!

I have since looked at the catrike flag mount and wonder if this would fit the bacchetta ?

I beleive my bacchetta has disc brake mounts - does anyone know the type of bolt I would need on these - I might have a last ditch attempt at constructing something myself..........(although DIY isn't my strong point...)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The ICE flags just need a tube to slide into - on the mesh seat there is a just a hole in the top cap.

I've also used a big flag, jammed into the vertical tube of the rack - although that was for a special occasion.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kingrollo

Post by kingrollo »

[XAP]Bob wrote:The ICE flags just need a tube to slide into - on the mesh seat there is a just a hole in the top cap.

I've also used a big flag, jammed into the vertical tube of the rack - although that was for a special occasion.

I think you have misunderstood - I don't own a trike. I own a bacchetta giro 20 - I have purchased a icetrike flag and mount with the intention of mounting it on the bacchetta - Ive failed so far......

so I was wondering whether I could make us of the holes where the disk brakes go - what sort of bolts would I need to be able to make use of these....