Route Advice - NW England

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
lostgeordie

Route Advice - NW England

Post by lostgeordie »

My first LEJOG will start in 10 days. This forum has been great and I've used a lot of advice and routes picked up from other posts.

On my trip the one day that concerns me the most is getting through / around the urban areas on NW England. That day I'm starting from Winsford and have accommodation booked in Scorton.

Here's my route http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/2520996-rs-7-winsford-to-scorton/

I wish to avoid A roads / busy roads, really appreciate any advice on how this route can be improved
Norman H

Re: Route Advice - NW England

Post by Norman H »

Since no one else has posted

Your route is a little convoluted in places, especially just north of Northwich. Why not stay on the B 5075 to Higher Marston and beyond? I think you could straighten it out and save yourself a few miles in the process, without risking any busy roads.
From about mile 20 at Lymm your route is very similar to one that we followed in 2010. My recollection was that it was fine. Leigh and Westhoughton are a bit urban but that's unavoidable in this area. We just stayed on the A and B roads here, with no problems. After about mile 46 your route diverges from ours. We passed between Preston and Blackburn towards Hoghton and Mellor but we were heading for the YH at Slaidburn
mattfen

Post by mattfen »

I'll be a few days behind you doing this route [url]//ridewithgps.com/routes/4034377[/url].

For me it was the hardest bit to plot - so it's a bit of a head down and get through it section. I know the area well so I'll not be missing out on the beauty of Lancashire.
lostgeordie

Post by lostgeordie »

Thanks for the feedback and routes, makes me feel more confident.

I will probably straighten out some of the convoluted bits, when I plotted this I was keen to get on any road not marked as an A or B road.

The zig zag north of Northwich is meet the brother-in -law in Pickmere

Matt Fen - you are doing a few miles on the A556, good for cycling with panniers ?

My other concern is getting round Preston, I plan to use NCN 6 / 622 to do this and follow route 6 north to scorton, anyone got any comments on the Preston section - good surface, well signed (don't always trust my Garmin in urban areas)
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

For some reason your map link doesn't show the map.?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
notlobgp14

Post by notlobgp14 »

My other concern is getting round Preston, I plan to use NCN 6 / 622 to do this and follow route 6 north to scorton, anyone got any comments on the Preston section - good surface, well signed (don't always trust my Garmin in urban areas)

Preston's only route through is Of Course Dave's Passage http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2668743 This route is from Euxton to Broughton Dave's Passage starts at Todd Lane North just before the mile 6 mark on the route. Don't follow Route 6 after the junction of the A59 and A6, where the Court Building is that's been in the news recently, a lot. Carry on north to Broughton on the A6

If you then want to go rural, take the B5269 towards Longridge. Take the first left after going under the M6, Langley Lane, turn left into Silk Mill Lane for Inglewhite; where you pickup Route 6 again. I have no idea why Route 6 goes a long way east just to arrive back in Inglewhite?
salmondo1

Post by salmondo1 »

What day/date are you expected on this leg, just if im free I could arrange to meet you and take you up to scorton using mainly lanes and very few mains from Adlington nr Chorley
lostgeordie

Post by lostgeordie »

Salmondo, great offer, you have pm
salmondo1

Post by salmondo1 »

Reply sent Rob (fingers crossed matey)