rear light for carradice saddlebag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlastairS

rear light for carradice saddlebag

Post by AlastairS »

Luck to get a Nelson saddlebag for my birthday. The only attachment I can see where a rear light could be fitted is on that 1cm wide. horizontal band of fabric right the middle of the bag when it's fitted to bike.Is this where it might go ? I don't think my current light would fit so looking for a flashing led light that would.
Thank you, Alastair
beardy

Re: rear light for carradice saddlebag

Post by beardy »

I have never yet seen a rear light mounted on a saddle bag that was reasonably aligned and stayed that way.

You could combine your two posts and find a mudguard light with an integral reflector.

Dynamo versions exist and battery versions probably do too. If fitted with AAA batteries they are almost the same weight as some dynamo versions.
bumper

Post by bumper »

The lights on my barley are perfect when its on the bagman. If it goes onto a bike without the bagman and droops down, I hook the lights over the metal D loops to put them in a good visible position for approaching traffic.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I use a Smart light. The clip is like a belt clip - on my Barley I clip it to the metal Carradice badge which holds it a bit higher and is less floppy. You can bend the badge slightly if necessary. It depends on the angle your bag hangs at, though.
MGate

Post by MGate »

There are plenty of lights about with a flat 'tie clip' type arrangement - they fit just fine. Yes they'll wiggle about a bit but works fine for me. Would back it up with a mudguard light too though if it was for pure night time use.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I think I'd have the primary rear light fixed to the bike (rack, seatstay or mudguard) and just use the LED tab on the bag as a secondary light fixing.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There are a number of handlebar extenders such as the Spacegrip, or this Topeak version:

Most have the ability to turn the base through 90 degrees, and mounted to the seatpost

This then allows a rear light to be fitted clear of the saddlebag
Graham

Post by Graham »

No need for any wiggling about. Here is a Mars 4 light on a Carradice Pendle. . . . alignment perfect every time !

Yes it's a rectangular kitchen sponge !! I haven't found anything better than that.

MarsOnPendle.jpg
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The other option that fits well is a Fibreflare

The two clips can be easily zip tied to the two silver "D rings" synonymous with most Carradice bags

The all round visibility negates the problems of direction that occurs with standard lights
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I use a Blackburn Mars 4 as above,
P1070640 (640x436).jpg
but as I haven't got that band of fabric on my bag I use an old toe strap which also doubles as a lock holder, I tape over the open end of the clip, as I've lost a lamp with one of these types of fittings before on a rough towpath ; good bright lamp as well.
Nu-Fogey
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I couldn't attach a rear light to the bag in a way that I was happy with during my winter months commute, my 2p-worth...

web2557 - Copy.jpg

The lights and pump are attached to a Carradice Bagman Expedition support

And in the dark (lights off)...

web2555 - Copy.jpg

Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

thanks for all your posts.
There are plenty of lights about with a flat 'tie clip' type arrangement - they fit just fine
can you post an example please (prefer around £10).
Mudguard rear light + refelector - good idea , but I think on the rear mudguard is a vulnerable position.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Smart lights have a sturdy belt clip as an integral part of the casing. It then clips into the seatpost mount, but can be used without. When I use it with the saddlebag I cut a thin ring from an old inner tube to make a thin, strong rubber band that I slip over the bottom of the light and clip, without obscuring the LED -- this stops any possibility of the light jumping off.

MLJ

Post by MLJ »

Legally lights must be attached to the bicycle, not the bag! Ancillary lights can go on a bag or belt.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

MLJ wrote:Legally lights must be attached to the bicycle, not the bag! Ancillary lights can go on a bag or belt.
It seems so common these days that I almost thought the law had changed. I've not succeeded in tracing that part although I did find the height restrictions (both high and low) are still there which would outlaw lights on your head or rucksack as a primary light, unless of course you happen to be quite short.

I do remember that even in more law abiding times some would push it a bit. Things like riding home from an evening timetrial with your Ever Ready light dangling from the side pocket of your saddlebag illuminating low flying moles. Those were the days - cycling to a timetrial and with a saddlebag :P