Help please! Have I killed my trike?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Trikeyohreilly

Help please! Have I killed my trike?

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Should read, have I killed my wife's trike.

Just went on a quick shop run. Got a bit excited as I tend to do on trikes, lost control on hit a curb with the left hand front wheel. Thought everything was fine. Rode home.

Got her back in the front room and saw this... The paint is also deformed underneath. Have I killed the cruciform? Its a steel ICE T or maybe was?
Trikeyohreilly

Re: Help please! Have I killed my trike?

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Photo...
Attachments
2014-04-19 21.00.22.jpg
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No photo?

Broken paint could be a bent cruciform - you *can* replace that component alone - leaving boom, rear end etc...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

photo appeared... What's the other side look like?

If you have bent it I'd not ride it further - my frame failed catastrophically (although gradually) as a result of such a deformation...

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=39987&hilit=tear&start=0
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Oh crap. I'll have to pay her for it and loose my favorite. It's more fun, for me, than my Q.

I think I can even see a bend to the left. Now you have asked I've looked on the underside, not good news I think.
Attachments
2014-04-19 21.36.41.jpg
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Clearly some movement here too. Can I not get it welded? It doesn't need to be pretty, after all its mine now...
Attachments
2014-04-19 21.37.27.jpg
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

A bit disturbing that this could occur from a curbing. Rather more damage than I'd expect.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

I'd have a word with ICE. Most damage is readily repairable at less cost than a new frame.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I suspect that's new cruciform time - chat with ICE, then Kevin (Dtek) if needed...

Good news is that they standardised. on tube sizes a while ago, so mix and match frames are possible.
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 19 Apr 2014, 10:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I couldn't have been doing more than 15mph, probably more like 10mph.

I was on the pavement, went down a drop curb, across a drive and clipped the edge of the drop curb coming up on to the pavement on the other side. It really didn't feel like an incident.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Harsh if that's caused this, I rammed a kerb at 15-20mph to avoid getting sideswiped...
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Damn it. That sounds costly.

I have emailed Kevin already for advise. We brought it from him a couple of months ago so he knows the trike and is very knowledgeable.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Criciform is a couple of bits of tube*... Not too bad. Of course moving everything over will cost you a day, but you'll know your trike then ;)

* Yes, there's a bit more to it than that, they are not super cheap, but alot less than a trike.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Any idea on the cost? I'll have to give my wife £1100 first!

Can't believe, but am accepting that I have broken it! I'm gutted.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I would offer her my Q but after a near accident the other day she is sworn of family cycling so that's not going to work. Personally I find/found the T more fun.

Damn, damn, damn it. Best trike ruined.