Hard Shell vs Mesh Seat

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
mrjemm

Hard Shell vs Mesh Seat

Post by mrjemm »

Hi folks, from all the posts and pics here, I have the impression that most folk use the mesh seats, but I am curious if anyone use the hard shell option on a trike.

Seems to me that they're far less popular than the mesh option, despite the fact that they're supposed to offer better 'performance' through power transfer, lower weight, or black magic. I have tried one, and it did indeed feel like I could apply more power to the pedals than the mesh I also tried on the same trike, but it was a tad less comfortable in the short test I had.

Is it because people tend to ride trikes/bents in general with a high importance on comfort, that they choose mesh? Perhaps feeling that the performance still feels good enough and fun enough with the mesh that the discomfort is not justifiable. Perhaps it's looks, with the hard seat options looking possibly incongruously over-sporty on a regular trike (as opposed to a VTX or Cat 700). Could this suggest that people think "if I wanted sporty, I'd've got a bent bike rather than a trike"?

I'd be interested to know whether climbing a hill would be noticeably easier/quicker with a hard shell seat, or if it's all in the mind.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Hard Shell vs Mesh Seat

Post by [XAP]Bob »

My first trike had a hard shell, and it was comfortable..

I went mesh for extra comfort (reduced rear wheel size on the new trike)

Tiger has a hard shell
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

[XAP]Bob wrote:My first trike had a hard shell, and it was comfortable..

Tiger has a hard shell

Thanks Bob.

It was looking at ICE's pics recently and thinking the newer seat looks good, and perhaps more comfortable that got me thinking about this. Be nice to try one of those.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mrjemm wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:My first trike had a hard shell, and it was comfortable..

Tiger has a hard shell

Thanks Bob.

It was looking at ICE's pics recently and thinking the newer seat looks good, and perhaps more comfortable that got me thinking about this. Be nice to try one of those.

The newer seat (the one with gentle lumbar cushions and a zip pocket) is nicer than the older (plain mesh) seat - the zip pocket is a stroke of genius.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Sorry, I meant the newer wider hard seat, a la VTX.

The newer mesh seat certainly is good. The pocket comes complete with a stack of ICE business cards to hand out! Doesn't feel like a deck-chair with scratchy plastic either, like some I've seen. New headrest good too.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Oh, the VTX seat - I tried it when i was down there early summer last year (not that I knew it at the time) and it was very nice, leaning into corners would be a bit harder in that than the mesh.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Oh, the VTX seat - I tried it when i was down there early summer last year (not that I knew it at the time) and it was very nice, leaning into corners would be a bit harder in that than the mesh.

Yes, seems that is also the hard shell option for the Sprint now, called the 'air-pro'. Only seen pics of it in carbon, never the GRP option (would that also be black?). I can see how it would make leaning harder, and I think I've seen mention of that somewhere else in regard to the older design that was slimmer, but had bolt-on side supports. But it would be counter-intuitive for the sportier item to be restricted on corners, and I can't see VTX buyers asking for a mesh seat... Hmmm.

Edit. When you say 'down there', was that ICE? I'd be interested in visiting, and for a while thought work may take me to Falmouth this week, but sadly that fell through. Would've looked into going by; phoned 1st of course.
Last edited by mrjemm on 22 Apr 2014, 3:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The VTX is lower though, so might not need as much leaning. I could lean, don't think that it's a sit and be still job, but I couldn't lean as much as I can on the mesh.
forlorn hope

Post by forlorn hope »

I have the older shape carbon fibre hardshell seat on my Trice S,
I did enquire about the newer shape seat but was put off by the price
£410 for the grp
£600 for the carbon fibre.
I got my carbon fibre seat from ocean cycles for £150 + delivery.
Trice S 700cc
Optima baron
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

I have a hard-shell seat on my Streetmachine (old one-piece not the newer adjustable 'bodylink' seat) and I find it extremely comfortable. Obviously on a two-wheeler the bike does any leaning for you! Even on a trike it's only going to be an issue if you really throw it into corners. To me, the main advantage of a mesh seat is it's breathability - sweaty back can be an issue with a hard shell seat.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

forlorn hope wrote:I have the older shape carbon fibre hardshell seat on my Trice S,
£410 for the grp

Must say, the OC price is interesting, but I recall hearing about them being a little unreliable to deal with IIRC (the company). But that's just the base, whilst the price you quote above for the ICE ones must include all the bits'n bobs, and last night I was looking at ICE's price lists. All told, the GRP seat'n parts would come to £331.84 including the headrest (£176.26 for the seat only). Perhaps they've gone down.
http://www.icetrikes.co/downloads/pricelists/2014_Spares_and_Accessories_UK_retail_Price_List.pdf

Rob Archer wrote:I have a hard-shell seat on my Streetmachine (old one-piece not the newer adjustable 'bodylink' seat) and I find it extremely comfortable. Obviously on a two-wheeler the bike does any leaning for you! Even on a trike it's only going to be an issue if you really throw it into corners. To me, the main advantage of a mesh seat is it's breathability - sweaty back can be an issue with a hard shell seat.

I do sweat, so I'd be concerned about that- imagine being on a fast downhill and your sweat making you slide off when you hit a bend! Eek.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mrjemm wrote:
forlorn hope wrote:I have the older shape carbon fibre hardshell seat on my Trice S,
£410 for the grp

Must say, the OC price is interesting, but I recall hearing about them being a little unreliable to deal with IIRC (the company). But that's just the base, whilst the price you quote above for the ICE ones must include all the bits'n bobs, and last night I was looking at ICE's price lists. All told, the GRP seat'n parts would come to £331.84 including the headrest (£176.26 for the seat only). Perhaps they've gone down.
http://www.icetrikes.co/downloads/pricelists/2014_Spares_and_Accessories_UK_retail_Price_List.pdf

Rob Archer wrote:I have a hard-shell seat on my Streetmachine (old one-piece not the newer adjustable 'bodylink' seat) and I find it extremely comfortable. Obviously on a two-wheeler the bike does any leaning for you! Even on a trike it's only going to be an issue if you really throw it into corners. To me, the main advantage of a mesh seat is it's breathability - sweaty back can be an issue with a hard shell seat.

I do sweat, so I'd be concerned about that- imagine being on a fast downhill and your sweat making you slide off when you hit a bend! Eek.

It would stick you in, not slip you off...
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Unless gushing...

Remember Slip'slide? :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_'n_Slide
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

That doesn't have a layer of clothing and foam...
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

[XAP]Bob wrote:That doesn't have a layer of clothing and foam...

A naked protester too tight to splash for the padding after buying an OC seat perhaps?... You never know, it takes all sorts!