A6 or not?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Nanook

A6 or not?

Post by Nanook »

Whilst I'm planning to keep off major roads for my LEJOG in August what do people think of maybe using the A6 from Preston to Kendal?
pdstsp

Re: A6 or not?

Post by pdstsp »

I used this section and found it fine - most long distance/heavy traffic uses the M6 - we did come off the A6 before the A591 junction and went eastwards through Natland and then onto Kendal, as the road does get faster and busier in my experience, but otherwise we had no problem - in fat we met some other end to enders and rode with them for a while chatting.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

For most end to enders (excluding those wanting a scenic touring route) the A6 is OK. It's busy with cars, some moving quickly but not too many trucks. It's quite wide and single carriageway. I'd come off it just before Kendal to avoid Kendal bypass which is a fast dual carriageway that comes off the M6. NCN6 takes you into Kendal and you can then cycle through the town to the A6 again before heading for Shap (Kendal to penrith is much better than Preston to Kendal). As a none- end to ender I always plan routes to avoid A6 eg Lancaster canal or parts of NCN6 south of Lancaster but these will add to your time. You can always jump on these if your nerves are shattered!
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I agree with other posters, the A6 is perfectly rideable from Preston though the A590/A591 section approaching Kendal is best avoided.

I have a preference for following the old road, the B6430 through Catterall and Garstang rather than the A6 bypass around. Shorter and avoids the high speed traffic for a while. It also allows you to get something from the shops if supplies are needed.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Agree.
For the most part, the A6 is fine.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Aye A6 no problem, and don't let Shap worry you either, It's a good steady climb with a good downhill bit somewhere about halfway :?: once over the top it's down hill to Penrith :)
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Nanook

Post by Nanook »

Many thanks folks - the A6 (in parts) it is then.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Will look out for you, it is full of E2E'ers from April thru to Autumn... well at least many pannier clad cyclists are out on it and I suspect they are E2E'ers. :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mattfen

Post by mattfen »

This was without doubt the most challenging day of my E2E. I started in Bamber Bridge and finished just north of Penrith. My gpx file had me going along the canal which was a huge mistake as it was busy (Sunday), bumpy (grass / gravel) and there was a massive headwind (prevailing winds...pffft). I tried to duck out of the A6 via back roads but in the end just dropped down to the A6 and stuck it out to Penrith. You have the option of the 6070 just north of Carnforth but was 'advised' by a local cyclist that the 6 was fine. Carnforth was grim.

Views on Shap ? It's just a hill. It's just a very long hill. It's just a very long hill at the latter end of a long day. It's just a very long hill at the back end of a long day that is very steep in places. I had the elevation profile on my Garmin and at one point I laughed manically at it. But I made it up without stopping and yes - for my route it was the toughest climb (not the steepest), just one long granny ring grind.
TheRedEyeJedi

Post by TheRedEyeJedi »

http://claridgecyclingtocurecancer.com/ ... pril-2014/

Just done it ..... Its absolutely fine to cycle in my opinion. However if you dont come off and avoid the bit just before Kendal then you are mad - that bit looked busy and the B road is really nice!
For solo lejog and more....http://claridgecyclingtocurecancer.com
Jack123w

Post by Jack123w »

Parts of the A6 are really enjoyable to cycle along, going up and over Shap is an experience, particularly in the wind and rain but that's what makes it an achievement! :p
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I'm not sure what route you are taking into Preston, but if you are planning on following the A6 road route into the city beware it's a horrible Dual carriageway 70mph bypass round Bamber Bridge. Better to avoid this by taking the old A6 (B6258/A675) through Bamber Bridge rejoining the A6 in Walton-le-Dale a little before the Ribble Bridge. Again, it's actually shorter and generally quicker than the bypass so there's nothing to lose.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Or take the cycle route bypass around Bamber Bridge and Preston centre to re-emerge on the A6 north of Preston, and avoid multi-lane junctions where you have to choose your lane and get into outside lanes etc etc.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
juice

Post by juice »

We stayed at Preston Holiday Inn, amazingly very bike friendly, we got an early breakfast and did a couple of hours on the A6 to crack a few miles in, no problem early but I do remember it as being very noisy.
jazzkat

Post by jazzkat »

I cringe every-time I see a cyclist on the kendal bypass! It's a motorway in all but name but without a hard shoulder. Go through Sedgwick and Natland. Even riding through Kendal town center is better IMHO. Shap is not too bad really, the worst bit is after climbing out from Kendal just before you get to the summit, you descend a good way before the road ramps up for the big climb up to the summit! Very disheartening, but beautiful scenery to take your mind off it. :D