Hard Shell vs Mesh Seat

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
squeaker

Re: Hard Shell vs Mesh Seat

Post by squeaker »

I find mesh seats to be more comfortable as the shape can be fine tuned with varying strap tension (only used ICE mesh seats, though) and the construction offers a bit of suspension.
The only hardshell (from a selection of old ICE, Raptobike and Fuego - same seat, I'm told - and HP Velo) that I've been really comfortable on is HPV's bodylink, which took a lot of fiddling to get 'right', but that is still more sweaty (with the airflow cushion) than an ICE mesh.
Can't really say about 'performance' :wink:
"42"
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Cheers Squeaker. Those split HP ones do look quite snazzy.

p.s. There's a Scorpion on eBay at mo with one, that is not listed under Recumbent, but trike finds it...
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

mrjemm wrote:p.s. There's a Scorpion on eBay at mo with one, that is not listed under Recumbent, but trike finds it...

Ah yes, this one: interesting history :?
"42"
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

squeaker wrote:
mrjemm wrote:p.s. There's a Scorpion on eBay at mo with one, that is not listed under Recumbent, but trike finds it...

Ah yes, this one: interesting history :?

Aha, it's changed since I last looked (yesterday?), when it had only one pic (not there now), less info and I don't recall the stuff about older frame with newer bits. Pretty sure bids were over £400 also, so perhaps a disagreement over some details and bidder(s) dropped out.

Hmmm.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Mesh for me every time!

I tried a friends Early ICE Vortex and the seat was excruciating :shock: ! Shall we say my lower parts felt as if someone was trying to remove them with barbed wire and a very blunt knife!

Apparently the later ICE hardshell is much more comfortable.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I have mesh on my Bacchetta and Kett but hardshell on the Speedmachine. I think I'd find the ride a bit harsh on both 'mesh' machines if they were hardshell but neither mesh seat gives the lumbar support I'd really like, so whenever my dodgy back complains a bit I revert to the Speedmachine. To be honest they seem equally sweaty.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Just been looking at the weights for the different ICE seats. Quite surprised how much lighter the newer version hard shell seat is-

http://www.icetrikes.co/support/faqs

ICE seats weights
2011 trike GRP seat with side wings and cover 2.293kg 5.06lb
2011 trike Carbon seat with side wings and cover 1.766kg 3.89lb
201/13 Air Pro GRP seat complete 1.482kg 3.27lb
2012/13 Air Pro Carbon seat complete 1.1kg 2.43lb
2012/13 Mesh seat complete 1.796kg 3.96lb

Weight saving comparisons
2012/13 Air Pro Glass to Air Pro Carbon -0.382kg -0.84lb
2011 GRP to 2012 Air pro GRP -0.811kg -1.79lb
2011 Carbon to 2012 Air Pro Carbon -0.666kg -1.47lb
2011 GRP to 2012 Air pro Carbon -1.193kg -2.63lb

The new GRP one is almost 300g lighter than the old carbon, while the new carbon is almost 400g less than that. More odd though, is that the 'new' mesh is only just more than the old carbon, and I thought with the extra padding it'd be heavier than the old mesh. Were the old carbon and old mesh a similar weight? Seems the weights include fixings and brackets, but no mention of pads or ventisit on the hard, so perhaps once that is on, it's no lighter, perhaps even heavier.
lukehall

Post by lukehall »

That's because of the metal side wings they used to use, I have a hardshell (from OC) and they're nice and light, the ventisit adds a bit of weight though. I don't miss the lack of side wings though I do covert the newer airpro seats.

I find the hardshell very comfortable, it does dig into my rear a bit at time when going over surface dressed roads, but its not too bad. The main thing though is it will depend how well the shape fits you, if it doesn't I can see it becomming uncomfortable.

If you were to get an OC seat the biggest problem would be getting the mounting brackets, ICE had to dig around to find me some second hand ones.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Aha, so the side bits were metal.

I've noticed how few road surfaces are smooth now, making regular riding rough already, so I guess the hard shell could get vibey at times, but I'd be keen to give an air pro a go at some point I think.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Whilst there are not many decently laid surfaces, those that are are truly dreamy.

There is one stretch of road newly laid on one of my commute options, it's just lovely - everything goes silent, except for a slight increase in wind noise.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Indeed, I found one on a downhill this week, and finally hit 40mph!

OK OK, so I've a way to go yet, but tis my own (observed) record, so I was chuffed. :D Sadly too many of my local nice hills are just too bumpy, rough, narrow and/or blind bendy to really get blasting down'em.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Nice - 40mph is about the speed at which I stop being able to whistle - it's a good test, if I can't whistle then I am doing 40* :)

* airspeed
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
byegad

Post by byegad »

My Azub had an Optima hardshell with a wide cell cushion and I found it would have a pool of liquid, presumably condensed sweat from my back in the bottom of the seat after every ride. Now I don't ride that hard or far at one time, but anyone doing a decent Audax on one would likely be sitting in a puddle after 100 miles or so. I drilled a few strategic holes in the base of mine to allow the water to drip out on the
move.

As to comfort, it was OK, but I'd not go hard shell again. Mesh can be super soft on old bones.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine