Caldon Canal

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Slowroad

Caldon Canal

Post by Slowroad »

Does anyone know if you can cycle along the canal from Stoke to Leek? (Which I think is the Caldon Canal). My UK Cycle Route Planner indicates that you can, but Sustrans and county council maps don't.
Cheers!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
andrew_s

Re: Caldon Canal

Post by andrew_s »

http://cycle.travel/map would seem to think that you can't.
It generally has a preference for cycle tracks, towpaths etc, so I'd believe that it at least means that the towpath is unsurfaced. It similarly avoids the section of the Kennet & Avon that I know is unsurfaced and unsuitable for a road bike.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

You can cycle from Stoke to Stockton Brook, but it's unsurfaced beyond there - for now, anyway: I think the plan is to upgrade it further. Looks like someone has been messing around with the route in OSM - it should really be showing as cyclable - so I'll fix that and it should show up on cycle.travl in a few days.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
elduderino12

Post by elduderino12 »

Upgrades are currently taking place in parts beyond Stockton Brook as a result some sections of the towpath are closed. The unsurfaced parts are okay to ride if dry, not so good if wet. Some nice quiet country lanes either side of it though. I'd steer clear of the A53.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Cheers! Very useful - I'm thinking of staying over at the Leek CCC campsite and that seemed a nice and level way to get to Leek from the station at Stoke - but nice quiet country lanes will be just as good!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin