Riding two wheeled recumbent clipped in

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
foreversummer

Riding two wheeled recumbent clipped in

Post by foreversummer »

Newbie to two wheeled recumbents, had my Bacchetta Giro 20 for a few months and just getting a bit more confident on it. Clipped in for the first time today and did a 17 mile ride. I found being clipped in a completely terrifying experience especially at junctions, it took so much concentration and I spent the whole time so tensed up that I didn't enjoy the ride. I can see the benefits of clipping in as my feet stayed put on the pedals, but please tell me it will get much easier....
hercule

Re: Riding two wheeled recumbent clipped in

Post by hercule »

It does eventually, though my sense of terror is raised by uphills and the fear of stalling whilst clipped in. Being lower to the ground helps (my Fuego is much lower than my old PDQ), and so does winding the release tension adjustment to the minimum (if you haven't done so already!). You do need to anticipate junctions and change down in advance more than is necessary on DFs or recumbent trikes. Experience has told me that I can get away with the 4th sprocket/middle chainring in almost all circumstances. Also practice in an empty car park rolling up to imaginary junctions, unclipping, foot down, taking off. Practice makes perfect! Most of the time I can clip my feet out but still on the pedals and push on without stopping if the road is clear. Dual sided pedals (eg Shimano M324) are on all my two wheeled bents, to give an alternative platform if you need to pedal unclipped for longer.
Si

Post by Si »

I guess that it depends on ho used to clipless pedals you were before putting them ont he 'bent. I['d used them since they came out and found no trouble with them on the PDQ....in fact they made riding it so much easier as feet are always in the right position to pull away. I would say: persist and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about after a bit.
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

Just make sure that you can disengage really easily at first. On a recumbent they are the best thing since sliced.No holding the feet up.
Being able to pull and push is a great help on very steep hills to swop muscles.
I guess really low prone positions are more difficult to get a steady foot down quickly. But it's not far to fall.
foreversummer

Post by foreversummer »

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. I never liked or got on with riding clipped in on my diamond frame bike, but I used to have a trike and rode it clipped in and that was ok, but this is a whole new experience. I have Shimano CLICKR pedals set on the least tension; the bits I am finding most stressful are: approaching and setting off from junctions (I got off and walked a couple of the junctions today as they were also hill starts and I was too chicken to attempt them on the bike) riding slowly uphill, and when vehicles pass me very close on tight narrow lanes. Hercule that's a good idea to practice in a car park, I can't wait until the day when I don't even think about being clipped in!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

it works fine for most people on upwrongs and the main difference with a 'bent is you don't have so far to fall...

Seriously, if you have a comedy keel-over by definition it'll happen at 0 mph and the only thing likely to get hurt is your pride. I think most of us have been there on the odd occasion, from high up as well as laid back. Sit and practice the release for 10 minutes and you should be sorted, especially as you'll be paranoid when you come to a stop and get everything done early.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

I can fully understand your concern from my own experiences on my Giro 20. I used spd's on my uprights before the Giro so I was quite comfortable with them, but the laid back position seemed to alter things somewhat. I think in my case the worry of finding secure footing if needing to stop caused me some concerns. I got round this mostly by honing anticipation, and acting early and smoothly, trying not to be caught out. I found un-clipping early and resting my foot on the pedal worked for me. If the situation then required a stop, I was ready. If not, then a quick clip in and away again.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Go low enough and a good set of gloves might work well;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

foreversummer wrote:.... but please tell me it will get much easier....

It will 8) IME to the point that you start winding up the pedal tension to stop your shoes pulling out during hard acceleration ;)
"42"
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Agree with all of the above, I just unclip and rest my feet on the pedals on any occasion where I may need to stop.

I've failed twice, each time with totally comical results. On the first occasion at a mini roundabout on my first long recumbent ride the teenage girls watching from a nearby bench were helpless with laughter and all I damaged was my pride. The second was even better, having toppled over and struggling to release (handlebars pretty close to my thighs) a motorcyclist drew up, looked down at me, saw I was OK then popped his visor and said 'That's not cool' and sped off. This time I rode home, again undamaged but pretty much helpless with laughter myself.

Total damage and injury - zero
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I know what you mean, Foreversummer, but it does get easier. I agree with all that's been said, especially the advice to anticipate well in advance by unclipping at least one foot. I still do that at junctions. Also, I've taught myself to err on the side of being ready to stop, rather than slowing down and being ready to carry on without. It was an attitude that I found difficult to change, but I've found it useful especially when the junction ends up not having good visibility.

Mind you, even after 8 years, I'm still not immune to self inflicted embarrassment. Last summer I descended into Bourton-on-Water in the Cotswolds, down a long steep lane. Flushed with adrenalin and pleasure I forgot all the advice and came to the main street in the middle of the village. I braked hard at the line, failed to get a foot out in time and keeled over slowly into the large puddle alongside!! As I lay there trying to unclip, a group of elderly people rushed over from their tour bus, to help me up. Solicitously one of them asked me if I often had dizzy spells and suggested that I see my doctor.

As a recently retired person who is determined not to grow old gracefully, my pride was sorely tested.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Which pedals do you have?

Recumbents do have issues at low speeds, so many people feel safer "unclipped" when riding at these speeds

I found that the answer was a "dual sided pedal" such as the Shimano A 530 was a good compromise

BlackPanther

Post by BlackPanther »

I agree 100%. On my Strada, I used to set off on the flat side then flip over. With practice it becomes second nature. What the heck, any excuse to show one of my instructional videos! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANEY05i4TTs

Cripes, almost 9,000 views on one of my vids!
The photobucket images don't work !!!
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

Apologies for a deviation in thread, but what mirror is that on your Strada Black Panther? Looks large and useful.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I use dual-sided Time Allroads on my Moulton so I don't feel obliged to wear silly shoes to ride it, but since I'll want to be clipped in most of the time on the 'bent I use standard dual-sided clipless on there. Those are Time ATACs rather than SPuDs but I imagine it's a similar case that you can ride easily enough unclipped by the simple expedient of just not pushing down (or rather, pushing forwards) to lock in. I find the bars and cleat keep my feet more or less in place rather than sliding off and if it's just 100 meters or less unclipped that's not at issue.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...