TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mark1978

Re: TV licensing...

Post by Mark1978 »

That link is carefully worded. It says you can watch with a licence but does not say you cannot.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

OK.
I'll find a link that shows it correctly then. Give me time, and I'll get it.

What I know, is that watching a TV station as it is broadcast requires a TVL.
No distinction to which device.

If no TVL was required for portable devices, the whole country would be watching TV on iPads. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Off out shortly, but this is better worded. There is more out there, but I'll get back to it later today/tomorrow.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

IIRC it's watch OR record...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gaz

Post by gaz »

TonyR wrote:Incorrect. If the device - laptop, phone, tablet, TV - is powered by internal batteries you don't need a TV License to watch live TV on it by internet or aerial.

Incorrect. The definition of a "Television Receiver" is extremely broad and in layman's terms boils down to any device capable of receiving a televison signal.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1997 ... ion/3/made
You need a TV license if it is used to watch or record live television, even if it is powered from a hub dynamo :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Yes, but a "television receiver" is not installed until it is plugged in so if its running on internal batteries it is not installed (Source: BBC). Powered by a hub dynamo OTOH.........
mjr

Post by mjr »

I don't have the reference but I think connecting to a typical house- mounted aerial also counts as installed. So batteries and bat ears may be OK, but mains or house aerial isn't. This whole mess should be reformed.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

TonyR wrote:Yes, but a "television receiver" is not installed until it is plugged in so if its running on internal batteries it is not installed (Source: BBC). Powered by a hub dynamo OTOH.........

Feel free to link to your BBC source but I'll refer you back to the legislation.
... apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving television programme services ...
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
RickH

Post by RickH »

TonyR wrote:
Mick F wrote:You need a TVL if you watch live TV. It matters not if it's on line or by satellite dish or terrestrial aerial. It matters not if it's on a conventional telly or a computer or on a phone so tablet. You are still watching live TV.

Incorrect. If the device - laptop, phone, tablet, TV - is powered by internal batteries you don't need a TV License to watch live TV on it by internet or aerial.

According to my licence it says on it that you are covered for "Use of TV equipment powered by internal batteries anywhere by you and anyone who normally lives with you at the licenced place" (Computers & mobile phones are listed under the definition of TV Equipment). So you need a licence at your home to use the "internal battery" option for watching or recording live TV.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Never communicate with TV tax collectors.

Would you respond to a government request to declare that you are not a wife beater, a thief or a paedophile?

So why do so for the relatively trivial pseudo-crime of not paying for Eastenders and Cash in the Attic?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

You are required by law to have a TV license if you watch or record a live television broadcast on any device but can only be charged for the offence of watching said broadcast without a licence if caught doing so or admit to it freely. The TV licence man/woman has no legal right to enter your home without your say so to check this.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I Googled mobile+phone+tv+licence, and found loads of references to needing a TVL for a mobile device.

Found this from the Guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2006/f ... ting.money

Also, this is very interesting, because BBC have no way of finding out if you're breaking the law! :lol: ....................
BBC 'won't pursue iPad TV licence cheats'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/n ... heats.html
Last paragraph:
TV licensing spokesman: "Most abide by the law, but we can confirm people have been prosecuted and fined for watching TV illegally on devices other than TV sets."
Mick F. Cornwall
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

I have had one of the TVL representatives at my door. It's my old flat that I'm trying to sell. It is lying empty with nothing in it at all. And a for sale sign up outside.
I was at the property merely checking on it. And then there was a knock at the door.
The TVL rep. He didn't actually want to come in. However I did offer him as there was nothing to hide. He said he was satisfied and would update the records.
Never heard anything since.
using hovercraft full of eels.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

I don't have a TV.
I have received a letter from TV Licensing every month since September 2008, each with various degrees of threatening action.

To date the pile has reached an incredible 68 letters. :roll:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why do they keep hassling you ....... particularly?
Mick F. Cornwall