Folders that ride like a normal bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brucey

Re: Folders that ride like a normal bike

Post by Brucey »

BE1 wrote:By a strange co-incidence I just poped in my local bike shop to shelter from teh rain and came across a Tournado. It looks like the picture in Pete75's link but does not match the specificaton, , Tiagra STi's, Tektro caliper brakes, 105 mechs, moreover is silver not caramel and does not have a Brooks saddle. Nor is it only £500 :(

I have looked on-line but can not find one like it: any ideas anyone? I feel that it is a sign but would like to be sure before commiting :?

if you take a look at (say) some other Ritchey Breakaway models, you will suddenly realise what a bargain the tournado is, go back and buy it. Consider this helpful suggestion another 'sign' if you like... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BE1

Post by BE1 »

Brucey wrote:[
if you take a look at (say) some other Ritchey Breakaway models, you will suddenly realise what a bargain the tournado is, go back and buy it. Consider this helpful suggestion another 'sign' if you like... :wink:

cheers

There is currently a large suitcase with Dahon written on it sitting in my living room...photos to follow :D
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I've had a Dahon Espresso for years. Now called the Tern something or other following the company bust up.

As has been said earlier it is great to fold up and put in the back of the car if you are going somewhere not accessable by train.

However I only use a light pannier or two on the rear and wouldn't fancy travelling any distance with or indeed without heavy luggage.

My sons have used it on occasions and not for nothing is it known in the house as "the whippy bike". The lack of rigidity front to back as a result of the folding mechanism certainly gives a "different" ride.
maxwellhadley

Post by maxwellhadley »

I'm a bit too big for my Brompton, but not enough to stop it from being eminently rideable. My longest ride so far has been about 45 miles, from the very centre of Amsterdam out into the country, stopping for a nice meal at an outdoor restaurant, then down the Vecht and back along the BIG canal bank. Arrived back at the hotel about 11:30pm. Very pleasant, but about as far as I would want to ride it in one stretch. It's a 3-speed, with the lower gear option. Not hard work to pedal at all, just slower than a proper bike. But I was able to take it along on Eurostar!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've been touring on a Chameleon with drop bars for over ten years - my reason is that its easier to fly with than a full size machine. My full custom build wouldn't suit everyone but I've done 200km sportives, alpine tours - even time trials all on the same machine. When loaded up, the low c of g keeps the handling sweet even on alpine descents and forest tracks. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

BE1 wrote:
Brucey wrote:[

cheers

There is currently a large suitcase with Dahon written on it sitting in my living room...photos to follow :D

that sounds exciting!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mike_dowler

Post by mike_dowler »

hercule wrote:The furtherest I've done on my Brompton is 13 miles. It was a much slower experience than I expected but doable. For flexible Iocal transport it's very good but it wouldn't be my first choice for long rides. The 1960s Moultons (same wheel size) are much more pleasant to ride long distances, a bit quicker, and far more comfortable.

I've done 16 miles back from work on my 2 speed Brommie. Again, not my first choice of bike for long distance, but eminently doable.
BE1

Post by BE1 »

By popular demand: my new (well NoS) Dahon Tournado.

I have not seen another in Silver and the spec is a little different to that I have seen in the brochure: 105 front and rear, no Brooks saddle or tape .

As befits someone who has dropped a pile of cash, I am convinced it is exactly what I have been looking fo :D . It is much lighter and livlier than my day to day bike (Kona Sutra), but it fits in a suitcase for the regular trips to the UK on Eurostar.

It is a tourer? Not in the UK/Traditional Galaxy sense. Gears are a little high 28/26 at the bottom, 32 spoke wheels and eyelets for a rack but not mudguards. However for day, or rather night :D , rides or a bit of light turing it seems to hit the spot
Attachments
bike7.JPG
bike7.JPG (29.48 KiB) Viewed 517 times
bike6.JPG
bike6.JPG (35 KiB) Viewed 517 times
bike5.JPG
bike5.JPG (47.96 KiB) Viewed 517 times