Any chronic whiplash sufferers here?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
JayGatsby

Any chronic whiplash sufferers here?

Post by JayGatsby »

I've had this for 2 years after a rear shunt by a car. If anyone else has long lasting whiplash symptoms after an accident I'd be interested to hear how you cope with yours as the care I received has basically done nothing to improve it.
Tonyf33

Re: Any chronic whiplash sufferers here?

Post by Tonyf33 »

I've been lucky, very strong neck muscles (from playing rugby) have prevented me from having bad whiplash (despite being crashed into the back of thrice whilst in car, one at an actual 25mph impact speed) but I have had a bad shoulder injury or two, one which has stuck with me for years and is a real hinderance.
I've had steroid injections which helped mobility but also i find Shiatsu beneficial, my ex does it and it really helps, good for other things too.
Not saying it will resolve the problem completely but IMO I think it's worth giving shiatsu a go?
jayd

Post by jayd »

Have you had any Osteopathic treatment? I found it beneficial after an mtb crash. My injury was similar to whiplash and it took about a year to get fully recovered.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I had a motorcycle accident that resulted in whiplash about 20 years ago.

My neck was incredibly painful for around 6 months and I had to keep it mobile to stop it 'ceasing up'. Probably for around 2 or 3 years it would get painful if I sat and read a book although it very slowly got better. I can't even tell you when it stopped, just one day I realised I'd been reading for a while and my neck didn't hurt...

Probably not much help with yours I'm afraid other than to say it hung around for a long time and only very slowly improved. Certainly for the longest time I assumed it would always give me problems.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Soft-tissue injuries tend to get better in the end. They get better in fits and starts.
I got bilateral biceps tendonitis as a side-effect of the antibiotic Ciproxin. Tendonitis is known to be a side-effect of it, and even rupture of the Achilles tendon.
It was really bad for about three months and lasted a full two years, on and off.
Perfect now.
JayGatsby

Post by JayGatsby »

Thanks. There's obviously the issue of financing treatment that NHS won't cover. What physio I had was abandoned because I was suddenly told the pain was chronic and there was nothing more they could do for me. I protested because my improvement had been constant over the course of 6 sessions, then suddenly they stopped it. As a layman even I think there's no logic to STOP a treatment which is clearly working. I guess I'll have to keep pestering my GP until I get something.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

If you can afford it, you could try a chiropractor.
Ask around for a personal recommendation, though, they do vary.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Soft-tissue injuries tend to get better in the end. They get better in fits and starts.
I got bilateral biceps tendonitis as a side-effect of the antibiotic Ciproxin. Tendonitis is known to be a side-effect of it, and even rupture of the Achilles tendon.
It was really bad for about three months and lasted a full two years, on and off.
Perfect now.

That's interesting....I'd not read about that. I had some tendon trouble after repeated bouts of antibiotics during/after a hospital acquired wound infection; I out it down to age weakening things, but a few years later and it seems to have stopped. I never linked the two until I read your post. I think one of the ones they tried may have been Ciproxin, as I can't take penicillin (not that that stopped them attempting to give me penicillin, mind you).. :?
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Flinders wrote:
Gearoidmuar wrote:Soft-tissue injuries tend to get better in the end. They get better in fits and starts.
Perfect now.

That's interesting....I'd not read about that. I had some tendon trouble after repeated bouts of antibiotics during/after a hospital acquired wound infection; I out it down to age weakening things, but a few years later and it seems to have stopped. I never linked the two until I read your post. I think one of the ones they tried may have been Ciproxin, as I can't take penicillin (not that that stopped them attempting to give me penicillin, mind you).. :?

Ciproxin is very likely what you got. It's a "serioius" antibiotic and in my case was for helicobacter, the ulcer bug, which had not responded to firstline treatment. It fixed the helicobacter and the tendonitis, which was a real pain is totally gone.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I had a neck injury (whiplash or whatever you want to call it) caused when a car drove into the driver's side of my car at around 30mph when going round a roundabout. My car didn't have side airbags and I was thrown sideways by the impact. As well as soft tissue damage, being thrown sideways compressed two of the vertabrae in my neck and I had a trapped nerve for several months. Thankfully this was sorted out after several trips to my usual physio and regular neck exercises that the physio advised me to do.

If you have the money I would find a physio (by recommendation if you can) and pay for treatment privately. If you haven't got the money I would keep pestering your GP until they give in or get sick of the sight of you. Don't settle for a prescription for anti-inflammatory pills.

All the best and hope you get sorted soon