Question for spectacle wearers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Derbian

Question for spectacle wearers

Post by Derbian »

Hi guys. Recently come back to cycling after a 10 year break, didn't used to need to wear my glasses for cycling, but age gas caught up with me and it would be dangerous not too.

My glasses have fairly small lenses (Silhouette frameless), and I am finding that the wind rush from cycling is making my eyes water and burn.

Have any of you experienced this and what was you preferred solution?
using hovercraft full of eels.
Vorpal

Re: Question for spectacle wearers

Post by Vorpal »

I wear contacts, and wrap-around cycling glasses. If I am likely to need them, I also carry some reading glasses.

Others have prescription cycling glasses made. If you search on topic of prescription cycling glasses, you'll find a number of threads.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
dellwood33

Post by dellwood33 »

I wear a set of these - https://www.fitovers.com/
Possibly not the most stylish, but an effective solution :)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Hi Derbian, welcome to the bunch.

Same problem here. No real solution since I'm too niggardly to stump up for bespoke cycling glogs. Lately I've been fishing flies out of my eyes as well. On long distances I carry eyedrops.

It's not unbearable though so I don't worry about it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Varifocal prescription inserrts for me as I can't see as far as my GPS let alone what's down the road without them. If your lenses are small you may be able to find some relatively low cost safety glasses that will fit over your normal glasses. If you search this forum I think there has been discussion about the use of safety glasses as cycling glasses on previous occasions.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mine are quite large varifocals. Although they water a little its not too bad. To minimise cost get them from here, takes some time but you will save more than 50% on the UK rip off prices.http://www.39dollarglasses.com/?atrkid= ... -e-g-m-1t1

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
SimonCT

Post by SimonCT »

The obvious answer is to wear glasses with bigger lenses, though unfortunately, fashion has reduced choice over the years.
I always choose specs with decent size lenses for this reason and my sunglasses are an oldish pair with big lenses that I've had tinted.
Another thing that helps is wearing a cycling cap so that the peak deflects airflow and most insects from above.
Otherwise Optilabs prescription sports glasses seem popular. The 2 users I know like them.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I wear Silhouette 'frames' with prescription lenses too, for driving. I find the light outside is good enough for me to dispense with lenses when cycling altogther and I use Bloc wrap-arounds instead. They are really good at keeping almost everything out of the peepers - and they're specially good at keeping them isolated from rushing air - no more tears! :-) A prescription version of these would be Great!
bloc%20stealth.jpg
bloc%20stealth.jpg (11.23 KiB) Viewed 3033 times

As for the ol' "age gas", I wasn't going to mention it, but now you have, I agree - isn't it embarrasing?!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
BrianP

Post by BrianP »

I have been using Bolle cycling specs for many years, they fit very closely around the eyes so no wind rush at all. They have an insert that has the prescription lenses. All good until my prescription changed a few years ago. Good news when I was in a Specsavers last year. They would make lenses for my new prescription for just £40, which is great.

Tesco used to do a prescription insert style sports sunglasses which was similar but no as good quality.

Not sure who will supply a a reasonable price just now, but well worth looking for as it it by far the best solution, certainly for me. Something like these at £79 complete http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/produc ... d8e7bdd704

Brian
mjr

Post by mjr »

+1 to the peaked cap. With that, I'm OK with nothing else in warm weather.

When it's cold, I wear builder's goggles with side vents. They won't win fashion awards, but they're designed to fit over glasses and if they fall, you've only lost £3
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Karl-Mens ... s_1282877/

I've got these in Executive bifocal for distance and Satnav.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Some cyclists wear these to get a good look at their tiny Garmin screen.

Swallow

Post by Swallow »

You could try these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Overglass ... sunglasses a bit bulky but may do the job
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Ayesha wrote:Some cyclists wear these to get a good look at their tiny Garmin screen.

And some folk need one of these to power their TomTom :lol:
Attachments
DSC_01202520copieM.jpg
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

I don't ride any longer than a 100m Audax.
I can't find a roll of cable longer than that.