A6 - how busy?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Niki

A6 - how busy?

Post by Niki »

I'm intending to follow the A6 from Carlisle south, as it seems a logical route. Just thought I'd enquire re the business and size of the road. How have others found it? The NCR seems to generally avoid it, but not sure whether that was because it's not ideal for cycling or just because they favour minor roads and circuitous routes.
Cheers
Paulatic

Re: A6 - how busy?

Post by Paulatic »

Not very busy but I prefer the road on the west of the Mway. IMHO quieter and flatter then the cycle route from Newton Rigg college to Penrith cuts out a hill before Penrith also.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
storksb

Post by storksb »

I used the A6 from Kendal to Carlisle 2 weeks ago and found it to be fairly quiet and with it being the old trunk road there is lots of room for any vehicles to pass with plenty of space.

Simon
My blog for my upcoming June 2014 LEJOG can be found here http://stork-lejog.blogspot.com/

Twitter ID : @storksb
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

agree with Simon there Penrith to Kendal is absolutely fine. Used it many times in both directions
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
toontra

Post by toontra »

My recent LEJoG route included the A6 from Preston to Carlisle. Absolutely fine - no issues at all.
BlueMeldon

Post by BlueMeldon »

Hi, i used the A6 from Kendal to Penrith & Carlisle back in 2008, it was light on traffic with plenty of space (better than many quieter roads further south) !
Good luck
:D
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I agree that the section through the Lake District is fine. Bit of a climb over Shap Fell but I guess you know about that already.

The section from Kendal has been discussed before (for a LEJOG rather than a JOGLE so reverse as required):
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=86265

My view from that thread:
I agree with other posters, the A6 is perfectly rideable from Preston though the A590/A591 section approaching Kendal is best avoided.

I have a preference for following the old road, the B6430 through Catterall and Garstang rather than the A6 bypass around. Shorter and avoids the high speed traffic for a while. It also allows you to get something from the shops if supplies are needed.

I'm not sure what route you are taking into Preston, but if you are planning on following the A6 road route into the city beware it's a horrible Dual carriageway 70mph bypass round Bamber Bridge. Better to avoid this by taking the old A6 (B6258/A675) through Bamber Bridge rejoining the A6 in Walton-le-Dale a little before the Ribble Bridge. Again, it's actually shorter and generally quicker than the bypass so there's nothing to lose.

[forum user eileithyia added that the nicer alternative is NCN 55 into the south of preston]
RickH

Post by RickH »

The A6 is, in my view, fine generally.

I would, though, avoid immediately south of Kendal - the NCN route 6 to rejoin the A6 at Milnthorpe, it is shorter, flatter & signed and avoid the motorway-in-all-but-name of the A591. Alternatively use the A65/A6070 to north of Carnforth.

Depending on your route south of Preston, if you are still on the A6 as you cross the Ribble heading out of town at the lights where the A6 bends right go straight on (A675) & turn right at the second mini roundabout onto the B6258 which is the old A6 through Bamber Bridge before they built the fast dual carriageway (another nearly-motorway) that is the current A6 (with quite a nasty climb if you're heading south). It is also slightly shorter going through Bamber Bridge. There are alternative routes through Preston, which others know better, but heading south on the A6 is OK as you are generally on the flat or going downhill until you reach the river on your way back out.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I've used the A6 from Manchester to Carlisle several times and will be doing so again in September to Mr John O'Groats :D on the way up or down a treat is to call into Fredericks Ice cream shop http://www.panoramio.com/photo/14433224 don't miss it, :D

Oh and the roads good too.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Niki

Post by Niki »

Excellent, thanks all, much appreciated :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

ferrit worrier wrote:I've used the A6 from Manchester to Carlisle several times and will be doing so again in September to Mr John O'Groats :D on the way up or down a treat is to call into Fredericks Ice cream shop http://www.panoramio.com/photo/14433224 don't miss it, :D

Oh and the roads good too.

Malc

Fredericks probably busier than riding the A6, I often ride past and think thank you I can go at other times when they are not queueing out of the door....... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
chunkymunky

Post by chunkymunky »

And if you go through shap there is a new balance factory shop on the high street. If you go upstairs clearance price trainers and sports clothing so can be useful if you need owt ;)
NeilFindlay

Post by NeilFindlay »

Agree with comments, Carlisle, Penrith, Kendal all fine for A6

Further south, bit busier into Lancaster on both sides, but definately doable, we came through at rushhour and it was manageable, not hairy. Garstang and into Preston were perhaps the busiest bits, short section of just general head down.

Preston, i would avoid, if you could go around the town on alternative route I would recommend, and cut through into Bamber bridge. At which point the choice is A49 or A6. We chose the A49 as lesser of 2 evils. But both equally manageable.

So in short, Preston was the only bit I'd look to duck off the A6 and rejoin further south.

Hope that helps, and good luck
JohnWL

Post by JohnWL »

I would not use it from Penrith to Carlisle. Last June on my LEJOG I used the road to the west of the motorway as Paulatic says. This unclassified road is I think the original road to Carlisle. It is very quiet, well surfaced and far flatter than the A6.