Allen Bolts V Cross Head screws

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
irc

Allen Bolts V Cross Head screws

Post by irc »

I've just replaced the low adjusting screw in my front derailler with a longer one. The one I had was an Allen bolt rather than the fitted cross head bold. Which made me wonder why derailler adjusting screws and V brake adjusters are just about the only place where Allen bolts are not used as standard.

Allen bolts have the advantages for me that eliminating non allen bolts means one less tool to carry and for the mechanically challenged, like me, it is obvious when you are using the correct size tool so the don't get damaged. So why not Allen bolts everywhere?
BV1961

Re: Allen Bolts V Cross Head screws

Post by BV1961 »

Good question.....I would guess its because an Allen head is longer than a cross head and will stick out if there in not enough material in the derailler or brake body to accommodate a counter bore.......but that could be accommodated in the design...so yeah, good point.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

I sawpped over all my cross head adjusters for high quality stainless allen screws. Much easier to adjust and superior fasteners as the originals where made of the special cheese-derived material used for japanese cross-head screws
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Where did you get the Allen bolts please?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Screwfix stock pretty much every size you could ever need.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Or for huge selection, good prices, small quantities look on ebay - e.g.seller called massiveattack007
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

ambodach wrote:Where did you get the Allen bolts please?
Best selection I've found is here... http://www.gwr-fasteners.co.uk/
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Most towns have a nut and bolt shop, you don't need Screwfix etc.
Look in Yellow Pages or Google it.
By calling in at a shop, you can see the items in the flesh and you can buy only one or two for pennies ........... and no delivery charge.

This one is our's in Plymouth.
http://www.expressfixing.co.uk/
Good friendly service across an nice old-fashioned counter. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

ambodach wrote:Where did you get the Allen bolts please?

I've just bought some stainless ones from ebay 4mm 5mm and 6mm
RonK

Post by RonK »

To avoid blank looks from the counter staff, ask for cap screws.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Mick F wrote:Most towns have a nut and bolt shop, you don't need Screwfix etc.

Not anymore they don't. We used to have one called Hannams but it closed years ago. Most go to Wilko's and B&Q for their nuts and bolts now.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Are you sure?
I'd be surprised it it were true.
Mick F. Cornwall
531colin

Post by 531colin »

irc wrote:I've just replaced the low adjusting screw in my front derailler with a longer one. The one I had was an Allen bolt rather than the fitted cross head bold. Which made me wonder why derailler adjusting screws and V brake adjusters are just about the only place where Allen bolts are not used as standard.

Allen bolts have the advantages for me that eliminating non allen bolts means one less tool to carry and for the mechanically challenged, like me, it is obvious when you are using the correct size tool so the don't get damaged. So why not Allen bolts everywhere?

BV1961 wrote:Good question.....I would guess its because an Allen head is longer than a cross head and will stick out if there in not enough material in the derailler or brake body to accommodate a counter bore.......but that could be accommodated in the design...so yeah, good point.

I think its just penny-pinching by the manufacturers.
But they all do it, AFAIK.....when one breaks ranks, will the rest follow?

I don't think the argument about the size of the cap head holds water.....the bolts don't have to handle any force to speak of, and if you want bolts by the shipping load you can get "specials".....for example, you could have an M5 limit stop screw tor a mech. with the size head normally used for an M3.

An M5 cap screw normally takes a 4mm Allen key http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ScrewBolt_SHCap_M5.html
however, put a button flange head on it, and its 3mm Allen key http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ScrewBolt_SHBtnFlg_M5.html

Shimano cantilever and Vee brake centering bolts used to be socket head grub screws, back in the day.....2.5mm allen key on those..http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ScrewBolt_GrubFlat_M5.html.....would be fine for limit screws, I think.
Last edited by 531colin on 7 Jul 2014, 2:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:Are you sure?
I'd be surprised it it were true.

We had one up until a few years ago - I couldn't tell you if it is still open since it's not on my commute any more.
We've got builders merchants etc - but they're not nearly as helpful.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Vantage wrote:Screwfix stock pretty much every size you could ever need.

except they don't.... :wink: (No M3 stainless....etc)
BTW some mechs used to be fitted with screws that had both an allen key socket and a plain slot.

If they seize up (not that uncommon in some designs) you need a mighty force to shift them and the allen key just won't cut it. Because the clearance between the key and the socket doesn't get progressively smaller as the key size reduces, maximum allen key torques do not reduce pro-rata with key size; it isn't even as good as that. Cheaply made small allen keys and matching bolts might as well be round if you lean on them at all.... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~