Over Zealous Moderating

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Vantage

Over Zealous Moderating

Post by Vantage »

Last night I replied to a post in the Camping section regarding a members tent upgrades. There was the smallest amount of probable offensive remarks and I do mean not even playschool offensive. I return this morning to find mine and 3 or 4 other post about this have been removed. For what reason?
There was no swearing. No offensive remarks made that I can see. No breaking of any rules whatsoever in fact.
It's getting to the point that I worry about replying to any post in this forum for fear that it might be edited or removed because someone on a power trip didn't like it.
For what it's worth, I'm an op in an internet relay chatroom set up for people with depression and mental illness and our jobs are done in real time. We don't have the luxury to spend a few hours debating whether a post is unsuitable for any reason, it has to be done there and then. I can assure you it's no easy task given the mental condition of some of our members. I hope the mods responsible for removal of certain posts here never venture into that room because I dread the damage you could do.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
bikepacker

Re: Over Zealous Moderating

Post by bikepacker »

Over Zealous Moderating has always been the case with this forum.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
We've all had a go at raising issues here about mods.
Their saving is that they are volunteers and they will probably always err on the safe side, and I can see that.

Digging your heels in wont get you very far, as they wield the power.

So my advise is move on and dont rub them up the (their) wrong way if you want to keep your sanity and carry on posting..........

I like others here would like to say things........but I dont want the Lords at Head office to blacklist me just because I embarrised them by exposing the obvious flaws in their politics.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Si

Post by Si »

One has to wonder, given that the mods are reported as deleting so many posts without a second thought - why is it that the vast majority of the very few posts that are moderated all seem to come from a very small number of posters? :lol:

One also has to wonder why, given that this forum seems to annoy certain people so much, they keep on using it when there are so many others out there (which all, no doubt, have vastly superior moderation policies)?

Sorry, but it does get tiresome when we get the same old same old, when it is perfectly obvious why certain posts have been removed, and in some cases we have bent over backwards to try to discuss, in friendly terms, issues with some people who have been pretty offensive to us and other members of the CTC (not that I'm suggesting that applies to anyone on this thread of course).

So, if you don't like it, you have three choices - have a quiet, friendly chat with us rather than diving in all guns blazing, just put in a complaint to National Office (who take virtually no part in moderating the forum on a day to day basis and so are neutral), or go find another place that you will actually enjoy posting on. Because we ain't paid to put up with sniping, and knit picking and people who give the impression of just looking to find fault or piling in every time someone else does. In fact, as pointed out already, we ain't paid at all so if you'd rather work against us that with us then we might just tire of you and remove you from the forum....but if you would like to give friendly, positive advice (unlike this thread) then that's fine.

Now, at the risk of being branded a member of various brands of right wing secret police, of being at the head of a secret illuminati intent of destroying everything good about the CTC, of being taken outside for a good kicking, or even of being taken to court :roll: I'm going to bin this one. But please - feel free to ask yourself - what have you achieved?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Assuming that the 'over zealous moderation' is over the comments about bigjim's tent and ensuing argument, I removed those posts. There were 6 posts, not 3 or 4. The comments were unnecessary and insulting. The thread is for sharing photos of tents, not childish critiques of them.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom