Pictures of your tents.

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
andrew_s

Re: Pictures of your tents.

Post by andrew_s »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Surely if going the tarp - hammock - extra insulation route it is no lighter than conventual tenting :?:

No, but on the other hand a random clump of trees is more discreet than the corner of a field, and in many wilder areas flat dryish grass can be awkward to find. It is a wild camping choice - most campsites would not be suitable.

PS - it's "conventional"
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I've been busy improving my £17 800gram emergency tent. It's made a big difference. Details and pics on my blog if anybody is interested.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Image.

Thank you. Ancient picture of my Vaude tent, being brought out of retirement as him indoors has decided to join the kids and me on our trip on the Velodysee.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

MrsHJ wrote:AAAAAHHHHHH this is starting to drive me a bit crazy, is there a trick to posting from Flickr as it doesn't look like I upload photos onto this site.

The URL that you extract from Flickr has to be the URL of an actual image file (ending in .jpg or whatever).
tags imply that there is an image reference.

I don't use Flickr, and it's blocked here (at work), so I can't tell you where to copy the URL from - does right-click on the image allow you to copy the image URL?
ikenbikeit

Post by ikenbikeit »

Jim

Two years after we did our short journey I and 6 staff were made redundant from the the school. It no longer exists. Just as well for humanity. The place did no one any good.
For the last 5 years I have been happily supply teaching in the Manchester area. Just got a job in Bury area. Prestwich -- Heaton park area. I think you may be familiar with the environs.
ikenbikeit

Post by ikenbikeit »

mrsHJ
I loved the hat and the grin!
ikenbikeit

Post by ikenbikeit »

sorry for being so active - I'm excited because we are going on our annual expedition --- this time from Ayr to Scarborough.
Train at 7:00 tomorrow.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

ikenbikeit wrote:Sorry for the delayed reply about the Telemark 2 but I have been busy looking for work.

The tent is well made though thin and the design means that it relies on tension for stability.
I use it solo and so can't tell you about double occupancy. The inner is a bit close to the face. It is very waterproof and stable with the extra lateral guy ropes I've put on.
Generally, I am very pleased with the tent as it is a doddle to put up and it's very light and spacious for one.

Hi,
Thanks. I too travel solo. I use 2 person tents because solo are too small for my aging aching body to cope with.
I have just gone bonkers and purchased a Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT!!! It is heavier than I should like, but Winter beckons.....
John
leftpoole

Pictures of your tents.

Post by leftpoole »

Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT for solo camping this Winter!
Overkill or wise?
John
Attachments
nallogt 003.JPG
nallogt 002.JPG
Last edited by leftpoole on 25 Aug 2014, 5:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

leftpoole wrote:Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT for solo camping this Winter!
Overkill or wise?
John

Well, I've just completed a 12-day cycle-tour with a Nallo 2 GT in an August that felt more like the end of September.

It was a concern, about the weight, to start with, but then again it is no heavier than standard 2-man tents used to be 10 - 15 years a go. I put it in a heavy duty cover and it weighed about 3.2 kgs all up with about 4 spare pegs (probably about 4 kgs when wet!). My Hilleberg Soulo weighs about 2.9 kgs with the same heavy duty cover so it was only an extra 300g for 4 times the room.

I was quite pleased overall, the extended porch is very useful, especially when it is raining, and you can do everything from cooking, eating, packing and even sitting up to read before retiring to sleep.

It also depends on what type of bike you use, but if it is heavy duty enough and able to cope with 15 - 20 kg total luggage weight without flexing then the Nallo GT is a good choice.

So: overkill or wise? I would say very wise for winter!
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Hello
Thanks. I use a Thorn Club Tour which is more than good enough.
You mention rain? I've not seen rain since May until today! It rained once a couple of weeks ago but I was camping 18 miles away and missed it which was nice.
Anyhow as I intend winter camping this Year I do expect some rain somewhere?
Thanks again, and any other comments welcome.
John
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Nallo GT... I wouldn't personally bother with the footprint unless you'll be in particularly rough spots. We only take the footprint for our Kaitum if we're using it out of a boat or car.

The groundsheet is pretty tough and with a little care you should have no need of the extra weight and bulk of the footprint.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Hello
Thank you for the suggestion regarding non use of Footprint. It will be taken on board as I feel it does add considerably to weight.
Regards,
John
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Force Ten Helium 2
Attachments
f10helium2 001.JPG
f10helium2 006.JPG
f10helium2 007.JPG
leftpoole

New Nallo 2, look at the colour!

Post by leftpoole »

Hilleberg Nallo 2-2014 'Green'.
It is so dark green it looks Black.......!
Attachments
nallo22014 002.JPG
nallo22014 001.JPG