CTC head honcho

Vorpal

Re: CTC head honcho

Post by Vorpal »

It's easy to say that it's a 'fortune' to those who live in the real world, but it's not enough to attract a professional executive, who can make in excess of £100 000 + bonuses in many industries.

It is enough to attract someone from a similar position in a charity with a smaller budget, or someone who is willing to do it because s/he loves cycling.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think a lot depends on the organisation. Although I member I cannot find the accounts so I've no idea about income, membership, employees, etc. and the salary for the position would to a large degree depend on some of those factors. Many organisations largely run themselves, driven by the membership so the "Head Honcho" plays a minimal role. Others seem to continually require being driven forward by the guy/gal at the top. I suspect the CTC is pretty well driven by the membership, so would not expect the "big chief" to be on a high salary.

And often the "high fliers" can do more damage than good as hey try to "re-invent" perfectly good organisations, to "grow or die" so the organisation eds-up not knowing what it is, and no longer meets the needs of it's membership (new or long standing). Often a capable listening decision maker is all that is required to nurture such organisations. And by that I don't mean "do nothing" but rather to enable the organisation to meet the needs of the membership.

Ian
John Catt

Post by John Catt »

Psamathe wrote:I think a lot depends on the organisation. Although I member I cannot find the accounts so I've no idea about income, membership, employees, etc. and the salary for the position would to a large degree depend on some of those factors.

Report and accounts can be found at http://www.ctc.org.uk/about-ctc/policies-and-procedures/annual-reports-and-accounts
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

John Catt wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I think a lot depends on the organisation. Although I member I cannot find the accounts so I've no idea about income, membership, employees, etc. and the salary for the position would to a large degree depend on some of those factors.

Report and accounts can be found at http://www.ctc.org.uk/about-ctc/policies-and-procedures/annual-reports-and-accounts

I would say from those figures the salary offered is somewhat too high. The organisation is not that "big" and as such cannot really justify one person making such a drain. It is not so horrendous as to damage the organisation but is rather unjustifiable and I don't think it represents good use of members and organisation money.

Ian
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

re accounts etc can be found at www. etc why?
Until 2011 every member had the automatic (legal?) right to receive this information directly in a posted printed form as per annual report.
Then it was decided that CTC would "save" some of OUR money by using electronic communication.
As far as I am aware shareholders in PLC's are asked to accept co reports in this form for economies but Companies Act protects
shareholders interests in giving them the choice to accept or decline this facility.
That is not the case with CTC.
If you haven't a computer and printer you can ask for a printed copy to be posted.
While this might be legal is it ethical?
No doubt there will be many older longstanding members, who have supported the CTC for many years but don't or can't do "pc".
In fairness to all members there should be an "opt-in" form provided in The Gazette/Cycle for those who have the will and the way to
conduct their affairs "on-line" otherwise we are all provided with printed copy.
gaz

Post by gaz »

There was a Special Motion at the 2012 AGM.
Special Resolution 2 = passed. 96.78% voted for.
Proposed by Martin Cockersole on behalf of the Council, seconded by John Catt.
To adopt the changes to the Memorandum of Association regarding electronic communications.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/news/2012-05-12/ctc-agm-results

The effect of the Special Resolution is explained in the footnote, my bold:
Proposer’s note:
Current articles have not been updated to reflect the preference of many members to receive CTC information by email and to view documents on the web site. Distributing bulk materials to members by mail is costly and not environmentally sound. Members will be asked whether they wish to receive notices by email or read them on line; those who do not wish to do so will still receive a printed copy.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/fil ... inutes.pdf

A paper copy remains the default position.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

And did this happen?
Local poll among members indicates that it did not?