Where were you in '73

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

All being well a pic has arrived.

Yep... got it

Im on the left in green. My older brother is next, baby (favourite) brother in front and my sis to the right.

What a shower!
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Yes, people still talk about the 1970's, how good there were and the good Summers. The young people of today really don't know what there miss's out on. I mean Bay City Rollers, Girls screaming there little hearts at Woody. Back in 1973, it was Marc Bolan/T.Rex. The fashion was really cool (I think) The bad side of the 70's was the strikes, the Black-Outs, food shortages. Still trying get to grips with Decimal from £sp and that dreaded half-penny. But we had some good fun with the Chopper Bike and the loveble Space-Hopper. The Internet and Mobile Phones were a distance dream, the nearest to a computer game was the humble Ping-Pong tennis game.

How I remember 1975 and 1976, with it's long hot Summer evenings. Sitting outside the pub watching the Sun go down. Ofcause the Winter's were very harsh and cruel, at least you knew where you where with the weather. 1975 was the seeding of Punk Rock and were we in for a big surprise with Punk Rock, which shook up the music world.
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Manx Cat wrote:Hummmmmm

OK folks your gonna have to help me out. Why did the pics not come out? I used the Upload Picture button top left???

Confused.

Ignore this..... Ive found out how! Im not such a numpty

Mary
Why not try PhotoBucket for uploading the images, pretty good site. http://photobucket.com/
Si

Post by Si »

Ofcause the Winter's were very harsh and cruel,

But, strangely, many people seemed to cope better than they do now with our one icey morning a year..
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

But, how on earth did cyclist's cope with the Snow then. No Mountain Bikes, only the humble Chopper.
Si

Post by Si »

Dunno, but last time I went over the wayfarer's pass I had good weather, an MTB and modern clothing and still found it damned hard work. When Wayfarer did it back in the 1920s(?) he had a fixie, an old overcoat and a snow storm.....people were made of sterner stuff back then!
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Aye, no Central Heating then. I suppose then, not many cars on the road.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Central Heating?

You were lucky! We used to dream of Central Heating! The best we could manage was rubbing our thighs ............
Mick F. Cornwall
Kirst

Post by Kirst »

AlbionLass wrote:Image

I used to have a dress like that! The elastic in the bodice was so itchy.
I can handle bars and cycle paths but I can't handle cars and psychopaths

http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/page/s/notinmyname
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

Yup, that's probably why I'm wearing my swimming cozzie underneath it. :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Whitby, early 60s. Serious stuff, yachts.

See, Thirdcrank, I hadn't chopped my sister's head off!
Mick F. Cornwall
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Me, camping at Whitby, August 1976. What a Summer that was.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You are David Essex! I claim my £10.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As this thread is moving to 'When did you go to Whitby?'

This is your obedient servant as a 14 year old on a Youth Hostelling tour visiting Whitby, Easter 1959. In those more carefree days, it was possible at that age to go hostelling on your own. This was my second solo tour, the first being the previous summer.

CTC 'Winged Wheel' badge on my Holdsworth jacket, Carradice Camper saddlebag, Mafac Racer brakes. We even had posers in those days: note the woollen Alex Sport racing jersey with chest pockets, bought from Ron Kitching for one arm and one leg and the 'La Vitelloise' bidon in the handlebar cage. The bike was a second hand Rotrax that served me well through my teens until it was nicked - the only bike I have ever had stolen. Recovered when a friend saw it being ridden, but the saddlebag was missing. A discerning thief.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Central Heating?

You were lucky! We used to dream of Central Heating! The best we could manage was rubbing our thighs ............

Mick are you a grasshopper?

My Mum, who died three years ago never had anything but one coal fire in the house and for hot water an electric wall heater over the sink in the kitchen.
Double Glazing she couldn't see the point!

The only bath when I was at home (until I was 23) was a tin one in front of the fire!(I only tried it once but lost the soap so wasn't allowed to have another one!) Nowadays I have a bath once a week if I need it or not, luxury!

Before that we lived in an old shoebox on't tip when me dad used to thrash us within an inch of our lives ev'ry morning before we went down't pit in't dark an came 'ome in't dark,ee' they were good old days when a wer uh lad.

PS this is true, I used to work with a chap who used to fill his own teeth....with Araldite rapid!!!!!he was a great harmonica player though,he introduced me to swamp music(hillbilly).But I digress:0)