Who ate all the pies?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

Who ate all the pies?

Post by Si »

squeaker

Re: Who ate all the pies?

Post by squeaker »

'Hero!'
:lol:
"42"
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

squeaker wrote:'Hero!'
:lol:

+ Me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Hmmmm.... squealing kids...

We were on the Dieppe to Newhaven ferry (4 hour crossing) last Sunday. After spending a while up on deck watching the French coast fade into the horizon and the gannets soaring round the ship, we decided to go inside, settle ourselves at one of the few vacant tables, for an hour or two of quiet reading. Trouble was, the adjacent table was occupied by a family with a troupe of rowdy kids who were, quite literally, screaming the place down.

Like most civilised humans, one tries to edit out background noise from your mind - I persevered for quite a while, but then I realised that I wasn't making any progress with my book. So I muttered to Mrs P, "I think I'll have to go up on deck again, because - you know..." as I nodded towards the offending table. I got a round telling-off from Mrs P, I can tell you: "you ought to remember what it's like to have to cope with a family of bored children..." etc.

Actually I do remember. One of the most embarrassing for us, many years ago when our son was just two years old, we took him round a chateau in France and, part way through, he started screaming non-stop, nothing we could do would quieten him. Trouble was, we were caught up in a guided tour and weren't allowed to walk away from the group into an adjacent room. The (French-speaking) tour guide was sympathetic when we apologised, but it was obviously a serious annoyance to everyone around. What can one do?

I don't think I've ever eaten even one apple pie from the above-mentioned establisment, let alone 23. What are they like? I await with interest the follow-up report of this bloke going down with terminal diabetes...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Si

Post by Si »

Actually I do remember. One of the most embarrassing for us, many years ago when our son was just two years old, we took him round a chateau in France and, part way through, he started screaming non-stop, nothing we could do would quieten him. Trouble was, we were caught up in a guided tour and weren't allowed to walk away from the group into an adjacent room. The (French-speaking) tour guide was sympathetic when we apologised, but it was obviously a serious annoyance to everyone around. What can one do?

In my case I always warn them how long the tour will be before hand, and if there will be any issues with leaving the group. But I notice that there is often a different reaction from the rest of the group if the parents of the screaming kid actually try to settle it rather than just ignoring it.

This story did strike a bell with me as we got up and left a cafe yesterday because of screaming kids (complete with parents on mobiles taking no notice of the kids).
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Si wrote:This story did strike a bell with me as we got up and left a cafe yesterday because of screaming kids (complete with parents on mobiles taking no notice of the kids).

Admittedly, at times, people glued to mobiles do make me want to scream too :roll:
"42"
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Well, I dunno.... Ignoring a kid who is behaving like that might be the best thing to do. Giving in to behaviour like that (positively or negatively) may encourage it.

I'm not convinced the story is true, anyway. It sounds a bit of lame revenge fantasy.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Vorpal wrote:Well, I dunno.... Ignoring a kid who is behaving like that might be the best thing to do. Giving in to behaviour like that (positively or negatively) may encourage it.

I'm not convinced the story is true, anyway. It sounds a bit of lame revenge fantasy.

Yup. When told that something you want is not available that day or has sold out do you ask who has bought them?
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

I am also skeptical. Oh, and since when did newspapers take 'things people say on reddit' as their sources? :?
661-Pete wrote:What are they like?
If they're anything like the apple pies from 'that other' burger establishment, they'll be very slightly hotter than the interior of the sun.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I voted Villain simply because I don't believe it's true.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)