Head torch suggestions

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Milfred Cubicle

Head torch suggestions

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

Looking for a decent supplementary light for riding/camping. Needs to be powerful enough to use as an emergency riding light, not have a huge battery pack, and be pretty durable. Looking at the Alpkit models, but any other suggestions at sub £40?
simonineaston

Re: Head torch suggestions

Post by simonineaston »

Got an Alpkit Gamma - performs well; their headtorches are hard to beat for the price...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
hercule

Post by hercule »

Very happy with my Petzl Tikka XP2... Light, good battery life, has a diffuser so you can have it wide beam or spot. Plus is has a red light for sparing your night vision if you want to do some star gazing.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Exposure lights - either the Joystick or Diablo
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

+1 for the Alpkit lamps. I had a Gamma which eventually stopped working. I now have a Manta which is a lot brighter but with batteries up front is not so nice to wear.

Both are good lights and for the light output are hard to beat at the price.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/manta
https://www.alpkit.com/products/gamma
geomannie
Urticaria

Post by Urticaria »

I don't like the Manta much as the weight is all at the front (wouldn't want to run wearing it). I bought it because the Gamma's cable is vulnerable to breaking when it is floating around in a bag. I've also found the torch on in my bag. I'd probably go back to the Gamma next time.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

hercule wrote:Very happy with my Petzl Tikka XP2... Light, good battery life, has a diffuser so you can have it wide beam or spot. Plus is has a red light for sparing your night vision if you want to do some star gazing.

Plus you can get a rechargeable battery and extension kit so you can clip it to your helmet to use as an emergency bike light. Power can be set by computer, so if you want it to last longer just reduce the power.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

stephenjubb wrote:
hercule wrote:Very happy with my Petzl Tikka XP2... Light, good battery life, has a diffuser so you can have it wide beam or spot. Plus is has a red light for sparing your night vision if you want to do some star gazing.

Plus you can get a rechargeable battery and extension kit so you can clip it to your helmet to use as an emergency bike light. Power can be set by computer, so if you want it to last longer just reduce the power.

And no longer available :(

I don't like the replacement versions so much
Jockster

Post by Jockster »

hufty

Post by hufty »

LED Lenser: a really annoying feature of the H7R.2 at least is that it flashes on and off when the batteries are low, to make you aware of this fact. Even once you're aware, it continues to flash on and off. You might be in a situation where you can't do anything about the batteries but you would quite like continuous light. No matter, it's going to flash on and off until you change the batteries.

If it were me I would go for a cheap Chinese Cree powered head torch off ebay - there are even knock-off version 1 LED Lenser H7s available. The LEDs might go dim after a few months but at £8 a pop it's not a drama.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

Thanks folks. I have to admit I'm tempted by the cheap ones on tinternet. If I go for it, will post a review on here.