Best cyclo-cross bikes for £500-600?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
grunters14

Best cyclo-cross bikes for £500-600?

Post by grunters14 »

Hi All,

Looking to get into cycling for fitness and fun but also for the odd commute. I wanted a roadie for the fitness aspect but I think that it might hinder me in winter or on the commute or even riding on trails etc. It was suggested to me that a cyclo-cross bike is the perfect beginner bike for my needs. As it's a road bike with some alterations to allow the possibility for some more adventurous routes.

I'm looking for something with drops that will mainly be used on the road but still has that capability to go a little further.

From my own research I've found:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... e-ec053834
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -bike-2014

Any opinions, or alternatives?

Thanks in advanced guys!
Swallow

Re: Best cyclo-cross bikes for £500-600?

Post by Swallow »

I would have thought the Boardman was a better buy, depends how you feel about Halfords and their poor reputation for bike preperation
'Kernow bys Vyken'
grunters14

Post by grunters14 »

Swallow wrote:I would have thought the Boardman was a better buy, depends how you feel about Halfords and their poor reputation for bike preperation

Thanks for the reply! Initially I thought the same due to the better wheels but the Norco has better brakes. But the big draw for the Norco is that I can buy from Evans! I've only heard bad things about Halfords and a few stories about Boardman's having issues soon after purchase.

But I would agree with you in terms of on paper specs the Boardman just edges it. Any other recommendations in the price range?
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Have you considered a tourer rather than a cyclo cross, this looks like good value http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ring-bikes
'Kernow bys Vyken'
grunters14

Post by grunters14 »

Swallow wrote:Have you considered a tourer rather than a cyclo cross, this looks like good value http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ring-bikes

I don't think something like that is quite aggressive enough for my needs.! I really want something I can get out and hammer it on! That can almost compete with road bikes yet still has that flexibility to go off the beaten track!! So definitely more on the roadie side than the commuter/hybrid/tourer type bike.
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

I've just bought the Boardman comp, and for the money, it's brilliant. Fast enough to take me on road to the nearest forest, but sharp enough to ride when I get there. Will take a rack too for a bit of touring.
A word of caution though. Firstly, the brakes are not brilliant, and feel wooden. Made a lot better by stripping, greasing and correctly glazing the pads. Secondly, on delivery the bike build was terrible by Halfords, indeed some bits were dangerous. It depends on the store, but if you are not confident with mechanicals, I'd pay someone a few quid to set it up properly. Other than that I can't fault it. You can get 10% discount if you're a British Cycling member too, £15 to save £60.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

grunters14 wrote: But the big draw for the Norco is that I can buy from Evans!

Hope you aren't in Sheffield area - Local E is rated slightly above H but below D and forget any meaningful sizing or advice!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Spinners wrote:Ribble have a new one out.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road- ... =HTMLEmail

Good call.

...or the s/h market if the OP's confident. Somebody sold a Kona Jake plus all sort of extra gear a couple of weeks ago for this sort of money, I noticed.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

The Ribble looks very nice as I'm considering the possibility of a commuter. No disc brakes tho.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

PS you can get the frame for £106 so if you already have some parts is amazing, you can just about afford to buy a frame per year.
thidwick

Post by thidwick »

I bought a Cube cross bike for commuting a couple of years ago. I recall it was £550 list price. ( I bought it on the govt cycle to work scheme, and so saved about 42% of the £550 overall). I find it ideal.
I can't recall exact model designation. Too lazy to go out to the garage to look. I think it's something like a CRL. Flat bars, alu frame, triple chainring, MTB-ranged 9 speed cassette, and surprisingly powerful V-brakes, As standard it also has some Schwalbe cyclo-cross tyres (700c x 32 I think) with a fair degree of knobbliness.
This is my all-weather (and winter) commuting bike, My route includes single-track,unlit, country lanes with the obligatory centre parting of grass, gravel, muck and boulders, and some cycle track liberally spattered in horse and cow pooh. Also a fair bit of up and down-ness. A bit like cyclo-cross really. Bike is very sure- footed. In winter I soften the tyres a bit, but at the moment they are rock hard, and I can be moderately quick.
I find the cube bike ideal for my everyday commuting. I added full-length mudguards, some powerful lights, double-sided SPD pedals, and an alu rack for a pannier.

I also have a "good weather in daylight" commuting bike which is lighter, skinnier and faster. Even then, I ride the Cube if I have "stuff" to take to work.

*** edit: cassette is 9 speed
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Mark1978 wrote:PS you can get the frame for £106 so if you already have some parts is amazing, you can just about afford to buy a frame per year.

Actually looking at it the fork is priced separately so it's actually £189, which still isn't bad!
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

DONT USE HALFORDS - Currently with my solicitors , bought a Boardman road bike carbon for £1000 . The cranks had been cross threaded , ended up in A and E after 30 miles, unconscious for 15 mins approx. and rushed in ambulance to hospital and Halfords are not playing ball with my solicitor and are yet to inspect the bike 4 months later
grunters14

Post by grunters14 »

Seems like the general consensus is that Halfords are very poor!! Sorry to hear about the accident man. Brutal! The boardman does seem like the better bike, slightly very slightly, but I just don't think I want to go near Halfords with the reputation they have. It's my first bike so I don't have a lot of technical knowledge so far. I think I'll go with Evans if I can and possibly get the Norco Threshold A3 as it still seems like a quality bike!

However the Ribble does look pretty nice actually!! In your opinions would this be a better buy than the Norco, considering it has disk brakes? Also what would the after purchase service be like buying directly from them?

I've also had a look at the cube bikes but nothing in the price range unfortunately.

Cheers!!