Tektro brake pads

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
johnt

Tektro brake pads

Post by johnt »

I want to replace the brake pads on my Tektro CR720 Cantilever brakes. The ones I have seen on line appear to fit using a sort of wire clip, whereas mine use a small allen grub screw to hold them in place. Does anyone know which ones I need? Thanks
johnt
Brucey

Re: Tektro brake pads

Post by Brucey »

like these?

if so they are a 'road' pad of some kind. I'd guess at shimano type (rather than one of the other sorts) but it is just a guess....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

My CR720 brake (I only have one) has Tektro 877.12 holders and pads. These are 72mm with a wire clip as you've seen online. Presumably your brake is an older version. What is the length of the pad? Yours might be 55mm with a screw fixing.
Any clues here? http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_products/00_prolist.php?pid=4. Only current types seem to be shown - for instance 876.12 is not shown - so yours may not be shown also.
If all else fails you can buy the current pads and holders from here http://www.bike24.com/p212065.html, but Tektro would have appeared to have used at least three different holders and pads for the CR720 so I don't suppose the type is critical. The current type has the fixing offset towards the front of the pad which may help prevent squealing and improve braking.

Edit to add. On the back of a Tektro packet for cartridges and pads and pads it appears that those for road have a fixing bolt whilst the MTB ones have fixing pin so maybe yours are road type eg P420 P422 P423 etc
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
johnt

Post by johnt »

Yes, exactly like that (but brakes are silver!) I would like to know what number these pads are if possible rather than change the whole units.
Thanks guys
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

well they appear not to be tektro 877.12 pads, they are long ones with pins.

This page

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/brc15153.htm

appears to suggest that you need a 55mm insert that also fits ultegra and DA brake shoes as well other tektro models

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I would say, but without any guarantee that I'm correct, that you have 720.12 holders and pads. http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_products/01_prodetail.php?pid=49&sortname=Brake+Pads&sort=1&fid=4.
These need 55mm inserts eg type 422.11 from Tektro or equivalent from other manufacturers as Brucey indicates. Have you measured their length?
I have some 520.12 blocks from another Tektro cantilever brake and these are marked with the number. However the 500 series as opposed to the 700 series do not have replaceable pads. Those with replaceable pads don't appear to show a type number, unless I've missed it. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

just replace the pad and holder complete, with any cantilever v brake one, I've used wilkinsons canti pads for years.
georgew

Post by georgew »

yostumpy wrote:just replace the pad and holder complete, with any cantilever v brake one, I've used wilkinsons canti pads for years.

Yes and it would be a good idea to replace them with Koolstop Salmon pads which would be much more kind to your rims and provide superior stopping power.

Hope this helps.
gaz

Post by gaz »

yostumpy wrote:just replace the pad and holder complete, with any cantilever v brake one, I've used wilkinsons canti pads for years.

Regardless of their stopping power or rim caring/wearing qualities Wilko Cantilever Brake Pads are not going to fit Tektro CR720s.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

gaz wrote:

Regardless of their stopping power or rim caring/wearing qualities Wilko Cantilever Brake Pads are not going to fit Tektro CR720s.

you are correct, but however, these of course will fit. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 2305,d.d2k