Bottom Bracket Height

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
deliquium

Bottom Bracket Height

Post by deliquium »

I have 2 x 1948 bicycle frames, one is a 23" Leach Marathon with 531tubes and the other is a 22" PT Stallard 'Montlhéry' with Accles & Pollock tubes. The Leach's chainstays are 17½" and the Stallard's 18"

The former's BB is 292mm from the ground with 700c wheels and 32mm tyres, the latter's is 270mm with same wheels and tyres. A difference of 7/8".

What could be the reasons for this difference?
Last edited by deliquium on 23 Aug 2014, 10:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
timdownieuk

Re: Botoom Bracket Height

Post by timdownieuk »

deliquium wrote:I have 2 x 1948 bicycle frames, one is a 23" Leach Marathon with 531tubes and the other is a 22" PT Stallard 'Montlhéry' with Accles & Pollock tubes. The Leach's chainstays are 17½" and the Stallard's 18"

The former's BB is 292mm from the ground with 700c wheels and 32mm tyres, the latter's is 270mm with same wheels and tyres. A difference of 7/8".

What could be the reasons for this difference?

Is this a trick question?

At a wild guess, I would say that the frames were constructed with different geometry.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question....
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

It could be that the former was built for 26" wheels and the latter for 27". Or maybe the former is a racing frame built for tubs (700C) and again the latter is for 27".
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I agree, 26" wheels for the one with the short stays is very likely.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Thanks folks. Not a trick question, just me going :roll: :?:

I'd not considered 26" rims.

But then there's brake drop to consider? Given that at the moment both frames have identical 700c wheels and tyres mounted:

Leach has a rear brake drop of 62mm and a front brake drop of 55mm

Stallard has rear brake drop of 50mm and a front brake drop of 66mm

???
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett »

It maybe that the clue is in the year of manufacture. The Leach frame may very well have been designed for use with a fixed wheel giving a little more ground to pedal clearance when cornering than the Stallard which almost certainly would have been designed for gears. Keith Bennett
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Keith Bennett wrote:It maybe that the clue is in the year of manufacture. The Leach frame may very well have been designed for use with a fixed wheel giving a little more ground to pedal clearance when cornering than the Stallard which almost certainly would have been designed for gears. Keith Bennett

At the moment the age of the Leach Marathon is only a guess based on the 531 decal being one that was used between '48 and '53.

The Stallard does indeed have Benelux dropouts, with the DS hanger sawn off at some point.

The brake drops on both frames are quite strange in my ignorance :o
Current pedalable joys

Keith Bennett

Re: Bottom Bracket Height

Post by Keith Bennett »

In 1948,other than track frames, most would be automatically built to take mudguards for most of us one bike had to do for all purposes from a weeks tour to time trials and even at times on the track, could account for the odd brake height
531colin

Re: Bottom Bracket Height

Post by 531colin »

"Brake drop" doesn't apply if Resilion Cantilevers were fitted....http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/components/resilion-story.html