Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
leftpoole

NEW from Hilleberg for 2015

Post by leftpoole »

Graham

Re: NEW from Hilleberg for 2015

Post by Graham »

leftpoole - quick! sell the Nallo and buy an Enan :wink:

The above link refers to a lightweight version of the Akto - called an Enan, weighing in at 1.1 Kg

It is a one-man tent with side opening and a very limited porch area.

I'm working on a business plan to offer mortgages on Hilleberg tents ( i.e. a charge against your home, if you cannot keep up with the installments. :mrgreen: )
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Junk the Hilly pegs and buy titanium jobbies off of Alpkit and you've got a sub one kilogramme 'proper' tent - Blimey, that's one for the Weight Weenies!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

You all must understand that I am not that Weight Weenie referred to above, and while you're mulling over that statement, here's the math for the sub-one-kilo assertion... ;-)
tent 'minimum' weight - 870g
8 x titanium pegs @ 12g per peg - 96g
total - 960g!!
What minimum weight means
What minimum weight means

very light pegs - 8 needed
very light pegs - 8 needed

(You can tell there's not much going on here at work... :shock: )
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Interesting as we had to wave a sad goodbye to our little Vaude single skin tent at the end of this tour. Dare I ask the price?

I was looking at the force ten nitro lite 200 for when I'm ready to replace the Vaude.
BE1

Post by BE1 »

Simon

Or use these http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tent-spares/titanium-2g-skewer-peg-pack-of-6/ and come in at under 900g :) while praying for light winds and firm soil :?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

MrsHJ wrote:Dare I ask the price?

Not released as yet, though I imagine you'll want to be sitting down when it's available.

Since it is to the Akto what the Anjan is to the Nallo I'd guess on the order of £400 (entirely possibly more).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I tried an Akto 10 years ago and hated it, so this new one is not for me thanks

Titanium pegs, Alpkit ones like those pictured. I tried them too and had to nurse them carefully to last a 2 week tour. The first week was dry and hot so the pegs had problems with the hard ground and buckled a little and then just got worse. I binned them when I got home. I know I could have taken girt big nail to drill a hole with but that would rather go against the weight savings.

I will stick with my Unna at twice the weight and also with my V shaped aluminium pegs.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

The Backpackinglight Outdoors Station podcast interviewed someone from Hilleberg at the Friedrichshafen outdoor show where they talked about this tent.
Expected price was nearer £600 than £400 I'm afraid.

http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/201 ... 2014-pt-3/
Graham

Post by Graham »

Lighter = more expensive

I thought £400 was a bit optimistic . . . :? Don't forget that you have to pay, indirectly, a substantial wedge to the Swedish Social Security system.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I see that Hilleberg, who have always maintained a dignified silence on the subject of cost, have just begun to show the first slight signs of anxiety...
They don't actually mention cost, but...
They don't actually mention cost, but...
S
honesty

Post by honesty »

I think if I were after that style tent and had 400+ quid to spend I'd be looking at the F10 Helium Carbon 2... its bigger and lighter...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Graham wrote:Lighter = more expensive

I thought £400 was a bit optimistic . . . :? Don't forget that you have to pay, indirectly, a substantial wedge to the Swedish Social Security system.

I've not seen any indication from Hille that it's a replacement for the Akto, which the podcast suggests. The new one is in their 3 season line, the Akto is a 4: different course and thus horse.

Lighter is only necessarily more expensive at a similar strength. Which is why a Nammatj isn't any cheaper than a Nallo (a smidge more, in fact). It's heavier, but you get stronger and more convenience in use for your money.

Yes, you're paying a premium for Swedish, but again that's no different from an Akto.

Cost was stated at 650 Euros which comes in at £517 according to an online currency converter. The Unna is 639 Euros and in the UK that goes for just over £500, so I think we're looking at about £500.

This is more than I'd guessed, but that's actually good news, because it means I can stop pretending I need one :wink:

Pete.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Graham wrote:... a lightweight version of the Akto - called an Enan, weighing in at 1.1 Kg. It is a one-man tent with side opening and a very limited porch area.

I think the Akto was always a bit of a Marmite product, so I expect the Enan will be the same, whereas the Nammatj/Nallo/Anjan flavour seems to receive much more general approval. And of course the Anjan is available at a similar weight to the Akto, so folks who don't like Marmite can have the 2 pole design at the lower weight...
S
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

simonineaston wrote:
Graham wrote:... a lightweight version of the Akto - called an Enan, weighing in at 1.1 Kg. It is a one-man tent with side opening and a very limited porch area.

I think the Akto was always a bit of a Marmite product, so I expect the Enan will be the same, whereas the Nammatj/Nallo/Anjan flavour seems to receive much more general approval. And of course the Anjan is available at a similar weight to the Akto, so folks who don't like Marmite can have the 2 pole design at the lower weight...

Despite being something of a Hille groupie I've never really liked any of their best-sellers that much! It's the twin-entrance ones for me, so we run a Kaitum 3 and a Tarra (the latter out of the boats where the extra weight of bumker-class doesn't matter).

For lightweight(ish) solo I still use an old Spacepacker, and if I replaced it with something a bit leaner I'd probably go for a Scarp (it's those two doors and porches again). I'd get very interested, despite the price, if Hille did a 2-person version of the Enan with a door and porch each side like Staika/Allak/Rogen. Light enough for one, space enough for two.

Pete.