Why are bikes so expensive…

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gentlegreen

Re: Why are bikes so expensive…

Post by gentlegreen »

For the past 13 years, I've been using an aluminium-framed Giant MTB that I paid £400 for and I'm pretty sure that allowing for inflation, the equivalent bike would cost less.

The frame is the only original part left.

Over 20-something thousand miles, or various reasons I've got through several pairs of wheels at £200 a time - along with several saddles and the usual multiple chains, cassettes, chainwheels..

I suppose it must cost me £150 a year for what is now very reliable transport - thanks in part to having learned to do regular maintenance myself.

Were I suddenly to become wealthy, I doubt I'd spend any more money - though I'd definitely have a couple of spare bikes of similar quality.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:Bikes expensive?
Have you costed a career in golf?

Cycling on roads is free; golf courses cost hundreds of quids a year ................... every single year.

Or following a premiership team - maybe £1500 a year for a season ticket to watch them at home and 70 or 80 quid a ticket for away games along with the cost of travel and subsistence , all year on year. Buy a Spa steel tourer for a 1000 quid and it'll last you many, many years and average less than one away match costs for wearing parts and maintenance materials each year.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

A 531 race bike for less than £200 in 1985 ???

The man's in cloud cuckoo land.

The frame alone might have been £199.99. :lol:
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

As a price comparison, in 1940, the Claude Butler Tour d'Angleterre full 531 race bike was £17.17.00 and a pint of bitter was 8d. 1/535th of the cost.

Today, a decent race bike is about £3000. A pint of bitter in a London pub is £3. 1/1000th of the cost.

So yes. Bikes have increased in price nearly twice as much as a pint of bitter. :lol:
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

If my memory is correct a Raleigh Classic (531, triple, Huret Duopar titanium, Weinmann centrepulls, f&r racks) was about £350 in Samways, Derby, in 1986. The poor man's gas-pipe Weekender, which is what my dad bought, was under £200.

£279 of road bike cash today will get you a Decathlon Triban 300. I've never ridden one but I certainly wouldn't be ashamed to. It's certainly a better (equipped) bike than the gas-pipe Raleigh Equipes and the like we used to ride in the mid 1980s.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

In 1986 I bought a Raleigh with Huret 2x5 speeds, 28mm tyres, drops, suicide levers and a carrie - can't remember the model - for £175. According to measuringworth.com's purchasing power calculator the equivalent in income value these days would be £633. A 3.6-fold increase.

And when I came to France in 1972 a cup of coffee was 70 centimes. Now it's usually around 1,30 €. That's a 12-fold increase.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Ayesha wrote:As a price comparison, in 1940, the Claude Butler Tour d'Angleterre full 531 race bike was £17.17.00 and a pint of bitter was 8d. 1/535th of the cost.

Today, a decent race bike is about £3000. A pint of bitter in a London pub is £3. 1/1000th of the cost.

So yes. Bikes have increased in price nearly twice as much as a pint of bitter. :lol:

That's because since most of the price of the pint is tax the government is keeping the it down to avoid being lynched.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Ayesha wrote:A 531 race bike for less than £200 in 1985 ???

My dad bought a 531 framed RX100 equipped Peugeot race bike in 1986 for iirc £600.
I have to wonder at the profit margins on bikes given that my Vantage had an rrp of £599 when I bought it. It cost me £404.
Surely the bike retailers aren't going to sell these things at a loss? So how much did it cost to actually make my bike I wonder? Not a lot is my guess.
Like everything else in this world now, products are made to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. We're a long way from the idealist world that Star Treks Gene Roddenberry imagined. Selfishness rules in this world.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 your bike looks like my Dawes 1-Down now I have got it sorted

dawes 1-down.jpg
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Vantage wrote:
Ayesha wrote:A 531 race bike for less than £200 in 1985 ???

My dad bought a 531 framed RX100 equipped Peugeot race bike in 1986 for iirc £600.
I have to wonder at the profit margins on bikes given that my Vantage had an rrp of £599 when I bought it. It cost me £404.
Surely the bike retailers aren't going to sell these things at a loss? So how much did it cost to actually make my bike I wonder? Not a lot is my guess.
Like everything else in this world now, products are made to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. We're a long way from the idealist world that Star Treks Gene Roddenberry imagined. Selfishness rules in this world.

My Peugeot PX10LE 531 in 1975 was £384.99.

When a newspaper reporter makes a blunder as catastrophic as this, are the other claims in the article believable?
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

An article about bikes which also includes some Marxism, always a good start!

If I was going to chip in to this discussion I would say that, it's not so much about what people 'need' to spend but what they 'want' to spend. So, for sure there are 'expensive' bikes ( although that term is relative isn't it?- expensive compared to what or to when?)

I buy second hand and have never paid over £100 for superb bikes that are great value. I have no need for a new/expensive bike.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

PS.

My Halfords Apollo 5 speed Hi-Ten in 1972 was £29.99.

Maybe this is where he’s getting confused.

Critchlow’s law of bicycle pricing.

“A bicycle rises in price by 15% per annum.”

In 2014, it is now £10,625.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

If you want to gauge the price of bicycles, take a look back at the price of the Halfords Apollo ‘Fire chief’.
It has been on sale for over twenty years, and hasn’t changed much in that time. It is a 12” wheel S/S for 4 yr old boys as a starter bike.

In 1996, I paid £29.99. It is now £69.99.
That’s 4.8% per annum.

The average rate of inflation over that period is 2.15%. The bike went up over double the rate of inflation, so the claim is true.
Last edited by Ayesha on 29 Aug 2014, 7:34am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's more to pricing than just manufacturing costs, wholesale, and retail.

Retail price is set by what the public is prepared to pay.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Mick F wrote:There's more to pricing than just manufacturing costs, wholesale, and retail.

Retail price is set by what the public is prepared to pay.

I agree with that, Mick.

A bloke selling replica world cup shirts in Birmingham’s market had Brazil shirts at £3, but couldn’t get his hands on Germany shirts. They are still at £70 in the high street stores