Driving test pass rate drops

jgurney

Driving test pass rate drops

Post by jgurney »

The pass rate for the driving theory test has fallen from a highest point of 70% to 49% now. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29160052

Seems good to me - anything which either increases the standard of driving or decreases the numbers of drivers makes us safer.
661-Pete

Re: Driving test pass rate drops

Post by 661-Pete »

I often wonder how well I'd fare in the Theory test - seeing as I never took one! The nearest we got to it back in the 1970s, were a few questions taken from the Highway Code, plus having to identify a handful of road signs. Easy! Though I knew one guy, back then, who failed his Test on 'knowledge of the HC' - he was a recent immigrant from India and thought he could get through without any swotting up at all. He thought wrong!

But now! Surely 49% is an appalling indictment of the road sense of the public at large. Or is it? Are we keeping more morons away from the wheel?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just means people are taking two attempts on average... They'll still get through
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

Could mean all manner of things . . . Given that the majority of learners are young, and that youth unemployment/underemployment is at an all time high, is it the case that more learners are just 'giving it a go' without paying for one-on-one tuition, books or practice DVDs? Just a thought.

jgurney wrote:Anything which either increases the standard of driving or decreases the numbers of drivers makes us safer.

Nothing wrong with more drivers, it's fewer journeys that will make the roads a more pleasant place.