Bike tracker

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
brianleach

Bike tracker

Post by brianleach »

I'm getting another bike this weekend and need to get a tracking device.

The ones I use do not generate their location but merely identify the bike when a reader is passed close by and just drops down the seatpost tube.

Unfortunately I can't remember what they are called and all the modern trackers seem to use gps and apps.

Can anyone remember who supplies these please.

Many thanks,

Brian
DavidT

Re: Bike tracker

Post by DavidT »

Immobilise - "Immobitag" also do a similar thing to the Datatag noted above.

https://www.immobilise.com/view.php?stage=category

I think some have doubted the usefulness of these systems, in so far as if they are actually used by the Police. I have no experience of their actual use (although my Mercian has Datatag), but was pleased recently when my local (Leicestershire) Police were doing some PR at a cafe stop and making a point that they do indeed use the scanners for Immobilise and Datatag when checking recovered stolen bikes.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I often wonder about such schemes with regard to bike recovery. If my bike was stolen, I'd probably want the insurance company to pay-up quick so I could go out and buy a replacement a.s.a.p.

But then if 3 months later (but I guess in practice it may be a lot longer), once my new bike was getting plenty of use, were my old bike to suddenly be found by the Police, it might just become "complex" and take time/need sorting out. So, having got a replacement I'd no longer be interested in the old stolen one.

Great idea if it discourages people from stealing it in the first place (does it?). Great if it helps the Police convict a bike thief. Great if it lowers my policy premium (which in my case it wouldn't) etc. But to get me my stolen bike back 6 months later - not something I'd value.

Ian
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Immobitag

That's the one I've used. Thanks everyone.

As has been said not sure how effective but an extra level of "security" can't be a bad thing.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Psamathe wrote:I often wonder about such schemes with regard to bike recovery. If my bike was stolen, I'd probably want the insurance company to pay-up quick so I could go out and buy a replacement a.s.a.p.

But then if 3 months later (but I guess in practice it may be a lot longer), once my new bike was getting plenty of use, were my old bike to suddenly be found by the Police, it might just become "complex" and take time/need sorting out. So, having got a replacement I'd no longer be interested in the old stolen one.

Great idea if it discourages people from stealing it in the first place (does it?). Great if it helps the Police convict a bike thief. Great if it lowers my policy premium (which in my case it wouldn't) etc. But to get me my stolen bike back 6 months later - not something I'd value.

Ian

I think the "old" bike would then become property of the insurance co - although it probably holds more value to you than to them
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.