Bargain Tourer....

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Bargain Tourer....

Post by pete75 »

This seems impressive - a very well equipped tourer for 200 quid....
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-500 ... 22609.html

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Spinners

Re: Bargain Tourer....

Post by Spinners »

Agreed, for the money it's hard to beat.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

A cracking bargain. Dynamo too! An excellent inexpensive bike for commuting or someone who wants to try out cycle touring at minimum expense.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

there has to be a catch
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I must admit, when I saw that on another thread I wondered how it could be done. There's £40 vat, transport (I assume) halfway around the World, margin for the seller, decent componentry and frame to fabricate/buy.

Wonder who assembled it, and what they are getting paid?

Am I overthinking this one?
Medic101

Post by Medic101 »

Chances are its been listed at the wrong price I know a major company who listed an item at hundreds of £££'s below what it should of been and it went on sale for months and was not until they where looking at the performance reports for it that the mistake was identified. That and its also not exactly a light bike, almost 20kgs.

Although on a side note I've never been effused to purchase from them have always felt their stuff is substandard but that could just be me.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

They don't give any information about the geometry. The dropouts look short to me for a touring bike. Without a test ride (with panniers) I would worry about kicking the panniers.

Other than that, it looks like good value for money.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
karlt

Post by karlt »

It's got an £80 reduction on it; probably new model on way. Noticeably sold as commuter rather than tourer.
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

For £200 you shouldn't expect the same as for £1200. Compared to supermarket BSOs or cheap bikes from cycling chain stores it seems excellent value for money.
I've been using a cheap and crappy fully equipped (but no dynamo) Dawes (£243 new, discounted) as a commuting/shopping/utility bike for the last 6 years. Other than the back wheel failing (replaced by a Spa built Sputnik/Deore one) it has been and still is ideal for this purpose. IMO cheap no nonsense bikes make good utility machines.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:They don't give any information about the geometry. The dropouts look short to me for a touring bike. Without a test ride (with panniers) I would worry about kicking the panniers.

Most modern bikes have short, vertical dropouts. Long horizontal dropouts are largely a thing of the past.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Btwin look to be a global brand. This looks to me like a bike designed for the German market and brought over here. More of it IMHO. Might be wrong, pure speculation on my part.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:They don't give any information about the geometry. The dropouts look short to me for a touring bike. Without a test ride (with panniers) I would worry about kicking the panniers.

Most modern bikes have short, vertical dropouts. Long horizontal dropouts are largely a thing of the past.

I don't expect long dropouts. But I do expect enough space for my heels to clear the panniers on something intended for touring.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I don't expect long dropouts. But I do expect enough space for my heels to clear the panniers on something intended for touring.

Just wondered why you said the Btwin drop outs look short for a touring bike. Heel clearance is a function of chain stay length and has nothing to do with drop out length or so I've always thought.
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

I like the second video from the op's link showing them riding through pedestrian areas like loonies. The frame's a bit compact but if I was getting one I'd go a size up.
Attachments
hoprider.jpg
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:Just wondered why you said the Btwin drop outs look short for a touring bike. Heel clearance is a function of chain stay length and has nothing to do with drop out length or so I've always thought.

Sorry. That wasn't clear was it? I wrote dropouts, but I was thinking chain stay.