V brake Noodles

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fastpedaller

V brake Noodles

Post by fastpedaller »

Does anyone know where I can source stainless steel noodles? My noodles go rusty, even ones that are claimed to be stainless weren't. I know it's only a little thing ..... but I don't like rust
Brian73

Re: V brake Noodles

Post by Brian73 »

I generally put a smear of grease on things like noodles and hex bolt heads unless I know they're stainless or Ti, seems to work fine.
PH

Post by PH »

I use Acor flexible SS noodles, been on the bike a couple of years with no sign of corrosion. About a fiver a pair on Ebay.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Cover them in heat shrink wrap and apply heat - they'll look like they were made that way.
http://www.heatshrink-online.co.uk/
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

PH wrote:I use Acor flexible SS noodles, been on the bike a couple of years with no sign of corrosion. About a fiver a pair on Ebay.

Thanks I'd found those and they look a good idea (must take the line on least resistance?) and wondered if they were truly SS.
Crepello I like the shrink wrap idea - and I don't know why I didn't think of that because I had put that forward as an idea for finishing off bar tape!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I've used heat shrink for some years too with good results.

It also has the not inconsiderable benefit that if fitted so that it overlaps the cable outer as well, it helps deter water from running down the cable and then entering the noodle. In the past I have had several noodles go a bit dry and bindy through being repeatedly doused, and once the heat shrink is fitted, they seem to do a bit better.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pandaz

Post by Pandaz »

There's a guy over on Retrobike making bespoke aluminum and even titanium versions.

I've lost the link though. :(