Argos Vs Atlantic Boulevard for paint.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Pandaz

Re: Argos Vs Atlantic Boulevard for paint.

Post by Pandaz »

Yes, its automotive quality paint. Its by far the best finish I've ever seen.

Local frame builders use them near exclusively, about as good a reputation as you can get!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

urethane, huh...? -in which case would Polyurethane Yacht Varnish do as a clear(ish) topcoat....?

Presumably you could turn the crummiest rattle can paint job into something pretty tough that way...?

Anyone done that?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pandaz

Post by Pandaz »

I've tried this - it was a disaster!

Essentially, all three coats, base, top and lacquer have all got to match, chemically.

Rattle can paints react with just about everything!

You get what you pay for with paint!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

which exact paints did you use...?

cheers
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

You can put oil based paints on top of other paints (2 pack, cellulose) that have cured. You can't put cellulose or 2 pack paints on top of oil based because they will attack the oil based. Single pack Polyurethane yacht paint is oil based. It can get a bit confusing, but if you speak with the manufacturers (International, Hempel or Teamac spring to mind) they can advise. What I've also done in the past is mix in some polyurethane varnish with the polyurethane paint, and that seems to give it more lustre. This (in general) isn't needed, as these polyurethane paint have great colour depth and lustre - and because of their long 'open time' you can put them on with a brush and get no brush marks. (like the old Humbrol paints we used on Airfix kits). For a satisfying and low-cost finish they are great.
As always the preparation has to be perfect. They are not quite as tough as other paints though (bit softer), which can be a benefit (don't chip so easily) or not (can scrape easier).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pandaz wrote:Cromaworks.com

I know it's in the eye of the beholder and all that, but Coco's Colnago, really :lol:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

fastpedaller wrote:You can put oil based paints on top of other paints (2 pack, cellulose) that have cured. You can't put cellulose or 2 pack paints on top of oil based because they will attack the oil based. Single pack Polyurethane yacht paint is oil based. It can get a bit confusing.....

No kidding; I've seen some horrors and perpetrated a few myself. My plan (such as it is) was to spray single-pack Polyurethane clear coat over rattle can (i.e. acryiic or nitro-acrylic) colour coat, and decent primers/undercoats below that. If the clear coat starts to suffer, it can always be flatted off and given another coat, so I was hoping for a good service life that way.

My main objection to the same paint without the clear coat is that it isn't very tough; it chips off too easily. A softish layer of clear coat might toughen everything up nicely.

Any suggestions for a suitable PU clear coat/varnish?

cheers
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

For a clear coat recommendation I would contact the manufacturers. The main problem (as I see it) is that aerosols have lots of solvent in them which MAY attack the paints underneath. You could do a test on some scrap first of course. The polyurethane varnish (brushing) may do the job, but I suspect it will have a slight tint, which may or may not be a problem. I keep meaning to try it myself one day.
neilob

Post by neilob »

Back on topic......I have today received my Colnago C40 carbon frame back from Atlantic Boulevard and I am speechless with what Neil has done to it. It was never going to be easy refurbing an Art Decor paint job but it truly looks like new again. The guys there must be real craftsmen and I can only assume they deliver the same quality across the board from total respray to small repair. If you have to preserve an intricate paint job when respray isnt really an option, these are the guys to call in my opinion. Happy to send pics if you want evidence.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Thanks the picture Neil,, that is truly amazing work, probably the best I have seen.
Beauty will save the world.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

neilob wrote:Back on topic......I have today received my Colnago C40 carbon frame back from Atlantic Boulevard and I am speechless with what Neil has done to it. It was never going to be easy refurbing an Art Decor paint job but it truly looks like new again. The guys there must be real craftsmen and I can only assume they deliver the same quality across the board from total respray to small repair. If you have to preserve an intricate paint job when respray isnt really an option, these are the guys to call in my opinion. Happy to send pics if you want evidence.

Can you please post for all to see?
drossall

Post by drossall »

+1
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

+2
alicat

Post by alicat »

+3
grani

Post by grani »

+4 :-)