Sunglasses and flies

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pootler

Sunglasses and flies

Post by pootler »

I have never bothered with glasses when cycling but this last week there have been swarms of small ones. It has been so bad that I've been forced to close my eyes. Not to be recommended. Checking back people have mentioned Ortilab and Oakley, so I checked them out and they are way beyond what I want or need, no prescription. So I looked at Decathlon, their prices are far closer to what I was thinking of but apparently no store near to Wensleydale, Yorkshire Dales. Strange that. Has anybody got any suggestions of where to go in the Richmond, Darlington, Ripon or Harrogate region? Thanks
Psamathe

Re: Sunglasses and flies

Post by Psamathe »

I found quite early on I need to wear something to protect my eyes. As you say, swarms of small insects. But I also every now and again get hit by some more significant bug - and they can hurt. So far the bugger stuff has only managed body hits, but I would be worried were such a bug o hit an unprotected eye.

But I have all those "cycling glasses" that try to make you looke like Lance Armstrong. I just want a pair of normal sunglasses. And then I discovered most of my sunglasses have glass lenses and I didn't like the idea of a glass lens (should I have an accident, they break ...). and the only pair of plastic ones are mountaineering ones that are rather dark.

So I'd also be interested in anything that is not "I'm an Olympic Cyclist ... Look at me" (with a price to match).

Ian
g00se

Post by g00se »

Check out some of the Tifosi range, also look in some outdoor sports shops like Cotswold - they have more general sports eyewear stuff.

Finally, try out some places like Claus Olson or other hardware shops - for safty specs. They can be a lot cheaper.

One thing about regular sunnies - rather than wrap around sports sunnies: If the sun hits you at an angle, you can get blinded from the light entering from the side - but the glasses make looking straight ahead even darker. This is even more off-putting if you're cycling through tree-cover and the sunlight starts to strobe.
mike_dowler

Post by mike_dowler »

It's not just the sun; non-wrap-around glasses will make your eyes water from the wind.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Try safety specs, the Bolle Contour (for example) are available from tool suppliers, Screwfix, etc for under a tenner
Safety specs are often optical class 1 and might be more easily available to you
http://www.bolle-safety.com/safety-spectacles
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

Lidl and Aldi regularly have them for around £4. Otherwise go to your local screfix and fins some safety glasses which suit; these are ideal and cheap.
Brian73

Post by Brian73 »

Aldi and Lidl ones - been using them for years and doesn't matter if you sit on them as they only cost £3-4

Try Sports Direct also

Planet X for something flashy?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/search-results ... ds=glasses
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Brian73 wrote:Aldi and Lidl ones - been using them for years and doesn't matter if you sit on them as they only cost £3-4

Try Sports Direct also

Planet X for something flashy?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/search-results ... ds=glasses

Aldi/Lidl are O.K. but some are not.
Some are a bit shallow and you can see under the lens if you look down.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was hit in the face by a large crisp autumn leaf a year ago and I was doing in excess of 40mph at the time. It hurt like hell and as it hit me in the left eye I was nearly blinded and very nearly came off. :shock:

From that point on, I always wear eye-wear.

Prior to that, I'd only worn cycling sunglasses in bright weather, but only bought cheapo stuff. Latterly I found a bargain of a set with interchangeable lenses that were fine, but I only ever used the one set of lenses. The frame eventually cracked so I superglued it but the repair wasn't too good. I tried Lidl glasses, but they lasted only a few months because they cracked and fell apart. I bought a second pair, and they lasted only a couple of weeks. They were very cheap and nasty. :lol:

Since then, I invested in a pair of Optilabs cycling glasses. I need reading glasses and intermediate too, so I went for varifocals, and also photochromic/polarised.

The lenses are besides the point for this thread, but the fames are absolutely wonderful. They are secure, comfortable, light, well made ............. and fully guaranteed.

These are mine.
http://www.optilabs.com/site/product.ph ... &prodid=61
£150 is good value for non prescription optician quality frames IMHO.

Highly recommended.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:The lenses are besides the point for this thread ...

Except, are the lenses glass ? I for some reason worry about glass lenses in case I come-off and end up with broken glass lens breaking just in front of my eye ...

Am I being somewhat paranoid ?

(I only wear reading glasses, never carry them around with me, so have limited experience of glasses in "the great outdoors" with activities, etc.).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Polycarbonate lenses as far as I know.
Can't seem to see a reference on the Optilabs website, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

It seems rather daft to make sports glasses from glass.

PS:
Just had a play with mine, and tapping the lenses, they feel plasticy, rather than glass.
Mick F. Cornwall
pootler

Post by pootler »

Thanks everyone. More options than I expected. Never thought about places such as screwfix.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

pootler wrote:Thanks everyone. More options than I expected. Never thought about places such as screwfix.

Screwfix is part of B&Q if that makes any difference to you.
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

using hovercraft full of eels.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

+ 1 for work safety eyewear. I use them at work behind my Stihl safety visor to keep out the wood dust or general crud when using a chainsaw or strimmer. Cheap and much stronger than the cycle kit...hc