Overshoes for non-clipped in leisure cyclist

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sloblock100

Overshoes for non-clipped in leisure cyclist

Post by sloblock100 »

Hello all.
I got back into cycling around 18 months ago and pedal around 2-250 miles each month around the Swansea/Gower coast on a Boardman Pro hybrid.

I have really decent studded pedals which is my preference over clipped in pedals. (4500 miles done since Jan 1st 2013)

My question is this:
I have decent waterproof kit for my body and legs (Altura Night Vision jacket and overtrousers) but need something to prevent my feet from getting wet as I quite enjoy going out in the rain.

I know you can get all sorts of overshoes for 'clipped in' pedals but I was wondering is there a solution for us 'pedal amateurs' out there?
I saw these on Tredz and thought they may fit the bill:-
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Night-Vi ... _49882.htm

Any suggestions welcomed.
Last edited by sloblock100 on 4 Oct 2014, 12:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?'
'Germans'?
'Forget it, he's rolling.'
Psamathe

Re: Overshoes for non-clipped in leisure cyclist

Post by Psamathe »

sloblock100 wrote:I saw these on Tredz and thought they may fit the bill:-
http://www.thegoodwillout.com/casio-g-s ... -blau.html

I doubt it - it is a link to a wristwatch.

Ian
sloblock100

Post by sloblock100 »

Psamathe wrote:
sloblock100 wrote:I saw these on Tredz and thought they may fit the bill:-
http://www.thegoodwillout.com/casio-g-s ... -blau.html

I doubt it - it is a link to a wristwatch.

Ian

Thanks for pointing out my schoolboy error.
Hyperlink now amended.
'Germans'?
nickpaton

Post by nickpaton »

Welcome to the forum.

Be aware that if you have larger trekking/MTB shoes, you need appropriately larger gaiters. I cannot comment specifically on the Altura ones, but I wear Shimano MT91's and use Vaude gaitor overshoes http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/vaud ... aid:481109
Note there is a version with a longer calf section, but these are fine if you're wearing waterproof trousers.

I wear my waterproof trousers over the gaiters so water from the trousers flows over the outside of the gaiters, rather than the other way round which could cause water to run inside the gaiters and possibly find its way inside my shoes. It's worked well so far!
sloblock100

Post by sloblock100 »

nickpaton wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Be aware that if you have larger trekking/MTB shoes, you need appropriately larger gaiters. I cannot comment specifically on the Altura ones, but I wear Shimano MT91's and use Vaude gaitor overshoes http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/vaud ... aid:481109
Note there is a version with a longer calf section, but these are fine if you're wearing waterproof trousers.

I wear my waterproof trousers over the gaiters so water from the trousers flows over the outside of the gaiters, rather than the other way round which could cause water to run inside the gaiters and possibly find its way inside my shoes. It's worked well so far!

Thanks Nick, they look just the ticket.
I tend to just wear ordinary trainers when I am cycling.
Decent price as well.
'Germans'?
chesterpete

Post by chesterpete »

What about Sealskins waterproof socks? I find them excellent.
sloblock100

Post by sloblock100 »

chesterpete wrote:What about Sealskins waterproof socks? I find them excellent.

Hi Petee.
For the last 2 Januarys, I have done a 15.5 mile round trip from my house to Mumbles Pier every day to raise money for Combat STress.
As you may recall, last January was one of the worst we have ever had but I still did it and didn't miss a day.
Some of the weather was just funny it was so windy and wet.
I had Sealskinz and they are excellent but water got in the side of my trainers on a couple of really bad days and I could feel it sloshing around inside.

I really need something to keep water out of my shoes/feet.
'Germans'?
Martyn B

Post by Martyn B »

We did the Way of the Roses east to west on our Bromptons earlier this year, which unfortunately are not (yet) equipped with clipless pedals so we bought a pair of the VauDe gaiters recommended by Nick - we had to use them on several occasions, and on one particular occasion in the Dales the rain was absolutely torrential - they were well up to the task, though, and during the course of the trip, we never once had wet feet, nor was our footwear ever wet. I would also endorse the Sealskinz socks, which I use in combination with DHB overshoes on my road-bikes, all of which are equipped with SPD pedals. I guess the ideal situation is a combination of both, if finances can stretch that far......
PH

Post by PH »

Eager sports do an overshoe that does the job reasonably well;
http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/p/37890/Eager ... f-Overshoe

But If i wasn't using clipless pedals i'd spend the money on waterproof boots.
nickpaton

Post by nickpaton »

PH wrote:Eager sports do an overshoe that does the job reasonably well;
http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/p/37890/Eager ... f-Overshoe

But If i wasn't using clipless pedals i'd spend the money on waterproof boots.

I may be wrong, but I think I tried a pair of these with my Shimano MT91 MTB boots and found them too small for this style, and more suited to conventional ones - could be wrong though. Looked good though.
Also, though I'd like a pair of neoprene overshoes, I've not yet found a pair big enough to accommodate my boots.

chesterpete wrote:What about Sealskins waterproof socks? I find them excellent.

They are good, but as has been already reported, they are great at causing water to slosh around inside the shoe even if the foot stays dry. OK, they may be dry, but must feel very cold to say nothing of soggy shoes!!
I wonder that, if you're wearing gaiters, that sealskin socks are slightly OTT other than for their foot warming merino properties, with the waterproof properties (and associated price tag!) being maybe a tad unnecessary?!

It has got me thinking that I should try some thin merino socks as my toes can end up quite cold as the sweat isn't wicked off - I wear everyday socks from M&S - any suggestions?
niggle

Post by niggle »

Just a thought: motorcycling overboots are generally fully enclosed including a built in sole.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Wellies!

I used to lead off road rides years ago and if I turned up with my wellies on they knew it was going to be an adventurous day [emoji3].
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info