Rear derailleur hanger for a Dahon Speed D7

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mfitzy

Rear derailleur hanger for a Dahon Speed D7

Post by mfitzy »

I've be having a few problems with the gearing of my Dahon Speed D7 and looking at the possiblity of upgrading the components. Currently 7 speed grip shift with neos derailleur.
I've a box full of suitable components but I'm unable to souce a Tern/Dahon rear hanger adapter and a front adapter either. The Dahon Spares website draws a blank. I've contacted Tern in the US but have not had a reply. Wish I'd gone for a higher spec when new now. I can see these components are produced but can't see where I can buy them. Anyone with similar experience and advice?
gaz

Re: Rear derailleur hanger for a Dahon Speed D7

Post by gaz »

Any of these?

If not try the links in this thread
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mfitzy

Post by mfitzy »

Thanks for the links but still no joy on the derailleur adapter.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Have a look on soshangers.com. I had to go there for my Forme hanger cause all other places failed me.
mfitzy

Post by mfitzy »

That looks like it'll work with a quick release. However the speed d7 utilizes the mudguard mounting point and wheel secured with nut. Think best option is for a new wheel which will take an 8+ cassette and go for one of those gear hangers.
V4281051

Post by V4281051 »

Not sure if that is the right gear hanger..Look at ThorUSA special parts..He sells what you want..but none in stock..
GOHughes

Post by GOHughes »

C H White in Wilts. carry a large range of spares for Dahons. I have ordered from them often and have always found their service prompt and reliable.

http://s442721994.e-shop.info/shop/cate ... =cid%3D%26
mfitzy

Post by mfitzy »

Agree, I do need the special part that currently is out of stock. I've been in contact with Thor but no indication of when it'll be next available. Would welcome hearing from anyone with one as I could have a copy made if I had a template.

I've tried CH White but no joy.

:(
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC some other Dahon models use the mudguard eye and the original Neos bolt to mount a more conventional style of gear hanger (it is a weird looking thing but mounts a normal rear mech) but the D7 model does not; it normally has a little blank in the dropout and this can be replaced by a more normal looking hanger. [edit; oops, scrub that I was thinking of the vitesse D7 rather than the speed D7...]

It normally makes no difference if the wheel itself is nutted or QR.

If you are able to post a photo of your bike it may make the situation clearer.

edit; I guess you are after this thing?

a thought; if you can't get the right thing, it wouldn't be difficult (just a little welding and grinding) for someone to modify one of these

to work with your frame?

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 7 Oct 2014, 9:40am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mfitzy

Post by mfitzy »

Hi Brucey,

That 's exactly what I'm looking to obtain.

I understand there the aluminium framed Vitesse D7 can use a traditional style hanger that's readily available. Unfortunately the speed d7 cannot. Hense the special hanger supplied by Thor which does utilize the mudguard eye as a securing point.

Really do appreciate your help with this little problem of mine.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

A small piece of 3 mm mild steel, a hacksaw, a decent drill and second cut flat and rat tail file, a machine vice and a couple of hours of effort is the way I would tackle it.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the only snag is (and this is why I suggested welding an extant hanger) that you need to either find a mech with a different bolting arrangement or to be able to tap the mech bolt hole (M10 x 1mm I think) through the bracket you make. Unless you have a cunning plan?

If making a bracket from scratch I'd probably look to use 1/8" stainless steel (304 or similar); it'd look good for ever and will most likely take being bent back into shape a few times without big problems.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Brucey wrote:the only snag is (and this is why I suggested welding an extant hanger) that you need to either find a mech with a different bolting arrangement or to be able to tap the mech bolt hole (M10 x 1mm I think) through the bracket you make. Unless you have a cunning plan?

If making a bracket from scratch I'd probably look to use 1/8" stainless steel (304 or similar); it'd look good for ever and will most likely take being bent back into shape a few times without big problems.

cheers

Trouble is using hand tools on AS, probably verging on impossible

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
hamster

Post by hamster »

How about one of those 'emergency' replacement gear hangers:
http://www.adventurecycling.org/brands/ ... ur-hanger/