JOGLE completed

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
skicat

JOGLE completed

Post by skicat »

I finished a 14 day unsupported JOGLE last Thursday. I kept a daily journal which you can read at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/ymmv.

I want to thank everyone on this forum who gave advice on everything from routes to bike preparation and most importantly, personal preparation. The knee injury I suffered a couple of weeks before departure was my biggest worry, but I followed advice on here and sought help from a physiotherapist. Their prescribed exercises, stretches and 3 sessions of treatment worked wonders. Four days into the ride and the knee just decided to stop complaining and got on with the job. Never had another squeak out of it.

It was a tough ride, mostly into head winds which reached 40mph at times during the first two days in Scotland. I really enjoyed the whole experience though. It was harder than I expected it to be, but I didn't attempt it because I thought it would be easy.

Thanks again for all the help.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Spinners

Re: JOGLE completed

Post by Spinners »

Great stuff, well done mate.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
puffin

Post by puffin »

Excellent blog, and well done. Really enjoyed reading about it, you must be one of the last of the year?
mattfen

Post by mattfen »

Great stuff, and well done.
garybaldy

Post by garybaldy »

With this kind of blog I very rarely get beyond the first couple of days. With this one I read it all, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very amusing! Well done on completing your trip.
smuggers

Post by smuggers »

A very well done skicat.. Like yourself, I had knee problems before I did JOGLE & after a couple of days, I was riding pain free like yourself. :-) Have bookmarked your blog for reading later..
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
Neil C

Post by Neil C »

Well done and a great blog. Brings back lots of good memories of my ride in May. And makes me glad I did it "uphill".
JohnWL

Post by JohnWL »

Great blog, especially as I have a similar sense of humour.

Congrats on doing the ride. I did it the other way round last June and like you had never done any cycle touring before. I did find it hard at times ( one day with 30mph headwinds in hillyDevon v v hard ! ) .

I'll put a link to mine now.

John
pootler

Post by pootler »

Do you realise that you have just caused me to 'waste' half an hour's painting decorating time, reading this pointless story! I've only got to Pitlochry. Still if I show some self control I can go and do an hour and come back to it at coffee time and dream about Scotland, without the wind and rain, whilst painting. It's a good read so far. Well done!
Mustn't lose the link. That would be careless.
skicat

Post by skicat »

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I have just updated all the pages with maps showing my GPS tracks.
pootler

Post by pootler »

Walls emulsioned. Story finished. Imagination switched on. Thanks for that. Just what I needed.
skicat

Post by skicat »

Just gone to give the bike its first service since the ride and I discovered that one of the front spokes had ripped the nipple out of the rim. I wonder how long I've been riding it like that :shock: