Metabikes 20/20 photos

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Metabikes 20/20 photos

Post by UpWrong »

I decided to try it in 20/20 format, so that it will fit in the car. I think it looks great, apart from the rack. Any suggestions for a 20" disc rack?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7532343@N06/sets/72157648379740948/
neil earley

Re: Metabikes 20/20 photos

Post by neil earley »

Should HAVE BOUGHT A Toxy lo, looks nice so how does it handle with 20" wheels. A review would be nice
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Well, I was looking at an Azub Origami but figured it was worth trying to reconfigure the Metabikes first. I probably won't get round to trying it out before the weekend.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I had a quick ride today and I like it. The steering and balance are very easy and very natural. Rolling over bumps, humps and cracks was not harsh at all - better than I was anticipating. I ran the tyres pretty soft: 60psi front and 45 psi rear. Tyre widths are 28mm front and 40mm rear. I've got lightweight inner tubes which I believe make a noticeable difference to comfort. An added bonus is that I am finding it easier to reach the ground which makes stopping and starting easier and more relaxing. And I'm having no difficulty seeing over the handlebars. A success I think though I've yet to try putting it in the car.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I had a decent ride yesterday of about 25 miles round typical English countryside roads with some climbs and I think it's worth updating my impressions of the bike and of the SWB 20/20 format generally.

I find the bike easy to handle with it's low seat height. The seat is about 50cm off the deck and the BB is around 60cm. The seat is also quite narrow and I found it easy and natural to get my feet down quickly when stopping. Also its supportive of head and shoulders at the top so that my head felt like it was in a natural vertical position which helps greatly with balance. The reason I mention this is that my 2nd 'bent was an HPV Grasshopper which I totally failed to adapt to despite it being a similar format. It might have been that I was too inexperienced to deal with the recline but my recollection was how difficult it was to get my feet down correctly to support the bike when stopping. This was with the HPV BodyLink seat. It would be interesting to try a Grasshopper now that I am more experienced for comparison but I think the Metabikes seat is better for those with shorter legs.

Balance and steering on the Metabikes with the tweener bars was just brilliant. I was able to slow right down to trickle through junctions without putting a foot down, and crawl uphill in a low gear without wobbling too. One handed signalling was easy.

Stability at speed was excellent but, and this is the big but, the small wheels and lack of suspension limit the speed you dare ride at over damaged roads. The other problem I have results from not using SPD pedals or similar. My feet were in danger of being dislodged from the pedals when freewheeling over sections of bumpy roads at pace. It didn't happen but I had to work hard at bracing myself in the seat and pushing against both pedals when freewheeling downhill over the rough stuff.

Overall I like the 20/20 format. It's beautifully compact and friendly for those of us below average height, but I wouldn't ride one at night on unfamiliar and unlit roads for fear of coming a cropper because of potholes. Suspension would help of course, but this tends to add a lot of weight and some still feel more secure with bigger wheels.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

What tyres are you using and at what pressure ??
Also what are the fattest tyres which will fit ??

I use Marathon Supreme's (42-406) run very slightly soft (60-65 psi) on my trike as they do help with the road buzz run like that.
neil earley

Post by neil earley »

PICS look cool , hope all the effort works for you. Looks a nice job you have done. :D
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Thanks Neil. I certainly like the looks of it now. It's like a stealth fighter with its matt black frame and fork with minimal graphics.

Tigerbiten wrote:What tyres are you using and at what pressure ??
Also what are the fattest tyres which will fit ??

I use Marathon Supreme's (42-406) run very slightly soft (60-65 psi) on my trike as they do help with the road buzz run like that.

The front carbon fork limits tyres to 28mm although I have a 32-406 Panaracer Minits Lite in there. I tried a 32-406 Kenda Kwest but it would not fit. On the rear I have a 40-406 Marathon Racer, although I could go wider. The front brake is a caliper brake, the rear is a disc.

I have some older Supremes, the ones with the HD ceramic guard. These have a very stiff tread but provide good protection against punctures. Newer Supremes don't have the ceramic guard and are very similar to Racers.

I see Metabikes now sell a Metaphor 20 with an aluminium fork and disc brake which would enable a wider front tyre. It might be quite a bit taller than the carbon fork. I have a steel 20" fork which is 2" taller than the carbon one. However there is something approaching a 3 lb difference between running the steel fork with a disc brake and the carbon fork with a caliper brake.
neil earley

Post by neil earley »

Just a quick visit to your metabike 20" , how is your riding going and wouls be soo nice to see a video on you tube please, regards Neil
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Well, not had much time on it. I commute on the upright which only leaves weekends and the weather's not been good and I have the Stratus XP to ride too. I put DMR V12 pinned pedals on it as described in another thread which gives me more confidence when the going gets bumpy. I have a titanium rack and X9 RD to go on it, replacing the X5, so that should take another 1lb off it.

The contrast with the XP is interesting. The Metabikes is lighter and much easier to keep in a straight line when climbing, but the RANS has a remarkably efficient transmission. The RANS is probably the quicker bike from A to B at the moment because I can keep the power on over the bumps and descend more quicly. The V-brakes on the RANS are phenomenal and inspire confidence too. I intend to keep both and keep riding both for the time being. It would be good to set up cycle computers to get some stats, or maybe get a GPS tracker. I have a Windows mobile phone with GPS but not sure what apps there are for it.
neil earley

Post by neil earley »

Thanks for the update hoping to get a tailbox fitted to my Toxy this summer, have talked to a few owners and their opinion is good for carrying stuff also more speed to due aerodynamics, comes at a cost around £600
BlackPanther

Post by BlackPanther »

neil earley wrote:Thanks for the update hoping to get a tailbox fitted to my Toxy this summer, have talked to a few owners and their opinion is good for carrying stuff also more speed to due aerodynamics, comes at a cost around £600

Have you seen the rear fairings being sold on eBay? I asked if there were any underneath pics, but got no repy. Bit of a gamble regarding fitment, but cheapish.
The photobucket images don't work !!!
neil earley

Post by neil earley »

Hi Carl
How is your low rider rides going ! have you a link for rear tailbox off e bay
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

With Big Apples tyres:

WP_20150830_005.jpg

I haven't ridden it yet. Still trying to sort out the disc brakes. I hate them. Give me V-brakes any day.

EDIT: Doing some adjustments, waiting for the weather to improve. I think the brakes are sorted now, and I've taken a link out of the chain. A couple of the cables could do with trimming. I'm really happy with the bike aesthetically. I think the BAs are nicely in proportion.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I got out for an hour late this afternoon. I had fitted a Tubus Ti-airy rack in the meantime. Had to make a spacer to fit it around the rear disc caliper. I enjoyed the ride. In terms of comfort it reminded me of my steel 20/26 Giro. I had the BAs at 40 psi which I think was about right for my 75Kg, giving a few mm of static deflection. Very happy with it. I might take it to work tomorrow instead of the Thorn Audax, although that involves a climb over the Portsdown Hill.

EDIT: Photo above is clickable by the way for an enlarged version.