mobile phones

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
freeflow

Re: mobile phones

Post by freeflow »

Just in case there is misunderstanding. For gpx routes I create these on my PC and upload them to the phone. Google maps is used in the car for when I want to go to 'x' without a preplanned route. GPX are used in ipbike and osmand when I want to follow a specific route. I rn osmand in the background on the bike so that I get voice directions. I can'r always hear them, but at least I can hear that something has been said and look at the phone to check the route. When cycling the phone (which is waterproof) sits in a minimalist cradle on the handlebars.

If I had the phone plugged into a display screen then creating routes using Mapmyride or other web site would be perfectly acceptable as the display resolution is 1920x1080.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Psamathe wrote:Check with your network if they have any requirement about using your phone and not losing the number.
I fell foul of that a few years ago. I checked my little used phone and it would not register (Vodaphone). Although I had money in my account I had to add more to reactivate the number. So now I use it to phone my landline for a few seconds every couple of months which keeps my number active.
andy_scot_uk

Post by andy_scot_uk »

Samsung s3 on contract should be £20 a month. Virginmedia give £5 a month off. I like Android as all my photos are backed up and the Chrome browser syncs across phone, tablet and PC so something searched for on the phone appears in the browser history of the other two devices. Android is cheaper than iPhone, iPads.

I use viewranger software which has cycleways around the world. Open street map for android that does supermarkets and other points of interest and use Google maps which in the UK will do a bike route for you automatically.

Hope that helps
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

When you do get one, turn off 'Background Data' (or watever your's calls the facility which allows applications to send/receive data in the background). Usually on by default, this will eat into your data usage, even when you are not. Turn it on only for specific apps, when you want them to connect.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Psamathe wrote:
Mark1978 wrote:I use Viewranger on my iPhone which has full 1:50000 mapping for the whole of the UK, accessible without a data connection - which is important. You can't do route planning but you can plan on the likes of Strava and then import the GPX track into the app....

... I thought I did one plan a route using ViewRanger but it was not particularly practical due to the screen size. I.e. technically possible, just not particularly practical. But maybe I'm mis-remembering. ...

I've realised I mis-interpreted the "route planning". On ViewRanger I seem to remember I created a route by defining a number of points along my intended route. I suspect Mark was thinking about "route planning" by entering your departure and destination and have the computer design you one or more possible routes - which ViewRanger will not do (but as Mark said, it can import such routes via gpx files).

Ian
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Psamathe wrote:I've realised I mis-interpreted the "route planning". On ViewRanger I seem to remember I created a route by defining a number of points along my intended route. I suspect Mark was thinking about "route planning" by entering your departure and destination and have the computer design you one or more possible routes - which ViewRanger will not do (but as Mark said, it can import such routes via gpx files).

I often do route planning using Viewranger, but the old fashioned way, by eye ;). The OS 1:250,000 is good for planning on an iPhone screen as although it's a large scale it still includes all ridable roads.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Get a Moto G for £150 on 3s 321 PAYG tarriff. No contract. You will have one of the best smartphones out there and a very small expenditure on calls text and data that never runs out. Wish I had been able to do it 4 years ago, it would have saved a small fortune. When you go abroad buy a 3 addon for 15 quid and use your phone at British 321 rates. The data you use will mostly be via wifi which is usually free. I am in Cyprus at present walking every day and finding my way with Osmand which needs no data connection.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Sony Xperia Z ultra now only £205.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/search ... nes&page=1

That's a serious amount of waterproof phone which also acts as a small tablet and also does ANT+ sensors.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I bought a Nokia with a nice camera, and I really like it. I seldom carry a 'proper' camera anymore because I like the phone one so much & it's still smaller than most compact cameras.

The GPS / map function is decent and all of the other stuff seems to be at least adequate. The PC exchange software is easy to use & fairly quick (unless I have hundreds of pics to download). The model I have is no longer made, but I would definitely replace it with the latest similar Nokia, if anything happened to it.

They aren't bargain basement cheap, but if you consider that it's a decent camera as well as a phone, you may consider spending a bit more.

Otherwise the Samsung's are probably best value for money.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Psamathe wrote: ... Check with your network if they have any requirement about using your phone and not losing the number. ...

Thanks for the tip: as an inveterate small-print reader (with analogue fine-tooth comb :wink: ) I think I keep within the criteria, but only just.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Because I don't use calls, texts, or data much, I have always had pay-as-you go. It's much cheaper for me to buy a phone and a sim. If you don't think that you will use much, start that way, and keep track of how much you use (if your provider does show the data on their website, call/email them every couple of months and ask for it). If you get to using more than the cost of a monthly contract, it's easy to switch.

p.s. most providers require you to use the phone at least once every six months. A few have shorter intervals, but I'm not aware of any with less than three months between uses.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
PH

Post by PH »

iandriver wrote:Something like this. http://giffgaff.com/nokia/nokia-lumia-630/phone-plans

Another vote for Giffgaff, you can choose how much you buy on a month to month basis. A normal month with some internet access at work and a £5 goodybag is enough for me (Aided that my most frequent numbers are also giffgaff so free) When I'm touring I'll buy a larger goodybag, even then the £10 or £15 is enough depending how long I'm away for. If you do run out it's no big deal, you can either buy more airtime or now start another Goodybag before the month is out.
The advantage for you is you don't need to work out how much you're going to use. After a few months you'll know how much that is and could look to see if there's a better way to buy it, though I'd be surprised if there was.
Buying a phone - For so many people having the latest is the most important thing. There seems to be loads of good condition year old phones about.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Vorpal wrote:Because I don't use calls, texts, or data much, I have always had pay-as-you go. It's much cheaper for me to buy a phone and a sim. If you don't think that you will use much, start that way, and keep track of how much you use (if your provider does show the data on their website, call/email them every couple of months and ask for it). If you get to using more than the cost of a monthly contract, it's easy to switch.

p.s. most providers require you to use the phone at least once every six months. A few have shorter intervals, but I'm not aware of any with less than three months between uses.

3s 321 PAYG tarrif has NO time limit. You don't have to make calls. It NEVER runs out

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

al_yrpal wrote:3s 321 PAYG tarrif has NO time limit. You don't have to make calls. It NEVER runs out

Al

Is that relatively new? My husband 'lost' his phone number twice because he never used the phone. He told me that they had blocked the sim for non-use, and he had to buy a new one. We have never used anything but PAYG, but this was a few years ago. I think Tesco was the provider.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Vorpal wrote:Is that relatively new? My husband 'lost' his phone number twice because he never used the phone. He told me that they had blocked the sim for non-use, and he had to buy a new one. We have never used anything but PAYG, but this was a few years ago. I think Tesco was the provider.

Does seem to be.
Might be worth a wizz as the rates do seem good value - what am I missing :? :?:
"42"