Guy Martin does recumbents!!!!!!

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Re: Guy Martin does recumbents!!!!!!

Post by UpWrong »

Well, that was a good yarn. I'm glad they got the record. A big well done to all those involved!
honesty

Post by honesty »

Good programme. One thing, if Guy needed to loose 5 kilos I'd hate to see what id have to!
mjr

Post by mjr »

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/2038798/102777031/speed-with-guy-martin wrote:Speed with Guy Martin is also on...
4seven 3:10am Mon 27 Oct
4seven 10:00pm Tue 28 Oct
Channel 4 7:05pm Sat 1 Nov
4seven 9:00pm Sat 1 Nov
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Si

Post by Si »

Chapeau to them! Proper job.

The interesting thing is that from start to finish they claimed to only have five months. Now, I'm sure that his mate is very fit and that he is pretty fit himself, but neither had ridden a recumbent before and so would not have had much time to get "recumbent legs". Just think how much further a pair of experienced 'bent riders might have got it!

Likewise, how much further they could have got it if they weren't restricted by the filming etc and could have done it in good weather throughout.

The bit with the pee tubes was the funniest thing on TV all weekend. They say that Guy is the new Fred Dibnah....couldn't quite imagine Fred going through that :lol:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

There was an element of taking a gun to a knife fight about doing it on/in a 'bent though. What would a like-for like record look like do you think, given they averaged 30 mph for the final two hours - 700 miles, maybe?

Good watch nonetheless, and Mike B is a legend, isn't he.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

The 8Freight based in-ride refueling system was brilliant 8)
"42"
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
All a bit predictable and lame for me.

Its not a Tandem.................. :?:

So its not like for like at all...............

Will Guy ever fail.................

Was it a suitable record for the record books :?:

Probably not.

Would I like to have been there..........riding......YES.

Some of the footage does not ring true for me, they appeared to be like machines where they would of suffered more.

Guy stopped peddaling alot etc, etc.

No discredit to the tech team at all, maybe the next challenge should be against live competition :?

I agree the funnyest was the lads with the tubes...................

Solo HPV is above 650 miles.
Wilko upright 541 miles.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I didn't think it was predictable at all. The machine was only ready with 2 weeks to go and hurricane Bertha added a certain random factor. The condom catheters seemed a real failure, they would have been better off pitting I think.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

UpWrong wrote:I'm glad they got the record.
Which record?

They seemed to have missed the fact that there are separate records for each type of tandem; be it tandem bicycle, tandem tricycle, or in this case recumbent tandem tricycle. So the fact that they beat a record set on an upright tandem bicycle is irrelevant. I suppose that this discrimination would go over the heads of non cycling viewers which is why they had to leave it out, and I suppose the "had to" have a record to beat and this was the nearest they could find. Other than that, an enjoyable programme.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If I were them I'd have looked to repeat it a month later - but schedule a stop every 6 hours for a quick massage, change of clothing and addition of creams, and new tyres. I suspect the improved performance would more than compensate for the stops...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

The total stoppage time mentioned on the program came to 1 hour 35 minutes. According to a friend of mine who was there the 20 minute wheel change was so long because Mike B had to do a quick bit of hand re-threading on the axle. The last 24 hour endurance event I was part of was the Shennington 24 hour pedal car race as part of a team of six swapping drivers every half an hour and that was pretty knackering.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

[quote="NATURAL ANKLING"

Will Guy ever fail.................

Was it a suitable record for the record books :?:

Guy stopped peddaling alot etc, etc.[/quote]

He failed to get the hpvac speed record.
The motorbike from series 1 was a record, but not enough to get into the book
You don't really know how much he stopped pedalling, we have a bunch of editted clips, totalling sub 30 minutes of the 24 hour event.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Two folk pedalling to make it go and no stored energy not being a tandem is just nose/knife/face-spiting from the sort of people who DQ-d Obree for holding his handlebars the "wrong" way.

No, it wasn't like for like against the record they were notionally aiming at, but like for like would have been a couple of good but not good-enough guys getting very tired and failing, as opposed to really good TV that told us about aerodynamics, design, nutrition, heat dissipation etc.

A "normal" racing tandem is just a sub-class of HPV that is limited by baroque setup requirements. It doesn't really make for interesting viewing of itself, even if several of them raced against one another would do. So you can be snooty about it, or do something much more interesting. I'm glad they chose the latter.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I enjoy watching Guy more than X factor etc, for me the sort of disjointed progress through the 24 ride made me think that it was cobled together as an after thought.
Even Mike B thought it was comical.
And the only mention of HPV was when Mike rolled out the recumbant.
They did'nt give logical reports through the day like progress at 6 - 12 -18 etc, did mention 6 - 12 -18 in the same sentence the talked miles to 12 hour.

I would of liked -

Power outputs from each on the bench / ride.
Heart rates max and average.
They glanced ar nuitrition.
And at minimum a progress table.

In the back of my mind if you watched the program as a semi experienced / club cyclist you think it was staged.
Probably because I expect better attention to the actual facts, which where thin on the ground at best.

Next week is a hill climb on a motorbike which is an up hill course of race track tarmac which he will excell as he is a world class biker anyway.................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I would of liked -

Power outputs from each on the bench / ride.
Heart rates max and average.
They glanced ar nuitrition.
And at minimum a progress table.

In the back of my mind if you watched the program as a semi experienced / club cyclist you think it was staged.
Probably because I expect better attention to the actual facts, which where thin on the ground at best.

Do you think it was aimed at pedantic club cyclists who think power profiles are interesting, or folk watching TV on a Sunday evening who, dare I suggest it, probably tend not to?

I'd think it was "staged" because you can't have a programme of training and vehicle design/build followed by booking a closed-road circuit and running timing etc. by just turning up and hoping everything's okay. It was "staged" in much the same way as Battle Mountain or Paris/Roubaix is "staged" annually: according to a schedule designed to deliver. Unlike those other events, however, the package being delivered here is an hour of weekend evening TV, and any records etc. collected are a nice bonus.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...