Wall mounted cycle hangers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
burroc

Wall mounted cycle hangers

Post by burroc »

I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for wall mounted cycle hangers please? (The ones where the bike is vertical, perpendicular to the wall, with the front wheel in the hanger).

I want to hang three bikes on my garage wall. There are a number of cheap hangers available on Amazon and elsewhere, but two of the hangers need to accommodate mountain bike wheels, so a cheap hanger that will not fit will be a false economy. Wiggle have two which seem larger than average - the "Lifeline wall rack" and the "BBB BTL-19 Parking Lot II storage hook". If anyone has either of these I'd be interested to know if they are suitable for mountain bike wheels.

Many thanks.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Wall mounted cycle hangers

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have a cheap one which would happily fit an MTB wheel (not a fat bike though)

The MTB would sit slightly higher than a road bike though.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I just use big screw-in hooks:
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

I picked one of these up in Planet X the other week (haven't got around to fitting it yet!), seem well made and good value.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBHHANG/b ... ike-hanger
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

A couple of older threads on similar topics...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66114
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57501
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
WOOLIFERKINS

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

I use the precursor to this plenty of room for about a 2" tyre
Neil
PH

Post by PH »

Don't make the same mistake as me and buy two hangers that mount the bike from the same side. The hooks I bought both mounted from the right, so to get at the bike on the left, you had to take the other bike off first. Space meant I wanted the bikes that close and ended up with a mismatched pair of hooks.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've got a metal shed with a bracing ridge about five feet up. At the moment, I'm using cheap S-shaped DIY hooks off that, which work. I've thought about mounting some chipboard to take some of the purpose-made bike hooks, but it seems a lot of trouble. Any thoughts or ideas?
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

drossall wrote: ...I've thought about mounting some chipboard to take some of the purpose-made bike hooks...

I would use 18mm (or thicker) plywood rather than chipboard - less likely to disintegrate and drop bikes on floor.

I used to hang 4 bikes side-by-side using cheap Halfords hooks. One thing I found was it's well worth mounting alternate ones at different heights to reduce entanglement of handlebars and pedals (assuming your shed/garage is high enough). Also be aware you may not save much/any space - wall-hung bikes stick out further that you might expect.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Yes, I've noticed that with the ones hung already using cheap hooks. However, there is some saving because I get half a bike's length to put other objects in.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

burroc wrote:I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for wall mounted cycle hangers please? (The ones where the bike is vertical, perpendicular to the wall, with the front wheel in the hanger)....

worth a look?

http://www.tuskstore.com/

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
skicat

Post by skicat »

I wasn't specifically searching for these but I just came across one in Homebase for £3.99. Link here.

And in the same outing, in Maplin I discovered they do a garage bike hoist, currently £6. Also online here.

Again, I wasn't actually looking to buy these items, they just keep jumping out at me today :)
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get