Pint pot price poser

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
whoops

Pint pot price poser

Post by whoops »

Reading a recent casual throwaway remark on this forum, got me thinking how much a pint of alcoholic beverage costs in various parts of the country. In my local he asks £4.80 for a pint of bitter. It'd be interesting what it costs it your neck of the woods for a drink?
meic

Re: Pint pot price poser

Post by meic »

This makes me realise that I dont frequent pubs much for the purpose of drinking.

By coincidence I was in a brewery/pub in Tintern a fortnight ago and it was £2.50 for a 500ml bottle of their own beer served as a pint with my meal.
Yma o Hyd
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

£3.70 for bitter (4%ABV) near Cambridge

When I visit my parents in Manchester the local pub can have beer as low as £1.50 (Green King IPA) and people complain because down the road its only £1.20 (But my last visit was over a year ago).
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

West Midlands. Bitter is typically £2.50 to £2.70 in country pubs, up to £3.30 in posh country pubs and up to £3.50 in town pubs.

Where does whoops live so I can avoid it?
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Wetherspoon have real ale from about £1.75 to around £2.25 here in Merseyside depending on which hostelry you're in. Lager is generally dearer, as are most imports.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good grief! :shock:
Beer here is maybe £2.80 a pint for sub 4% beer, and usually £3 to £3.20 for the stronger stuff.
Yesterday, I was drinking 4.2% at £3 a pint in the Rising Sun Inn, Gunnislake.
Mick F. Cornwall
fossala

Post by fossala »

wirral_cyclist wrote:Wetherspoon have real ale from about £1.75 to around £2.25 here in Merseyside depending on which hostelry you're in. Lager is generally dearer, as are most imports.

I buy real ale from asda (4 of £5). When I go to a pub I normally order food so I don't notice the amount when paying the tab at the end of the night.
whoops

Post by whoops »

On holiday in Wales recently I paid £5 for a 500ml bottle of beer in a hotel. There was no drunks!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not been to the pub today.
I'm on my third bottle of Hob Goblin, courtesy of Lidl's at £1.25 each. I buy a crate of twelve bottles at a time, and they last me nearly a week.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

In Majorca last week - 2 Euro a pint at the establishment we frequented but down the road you could get a pint for €1.50. :P

P.S. Happy hour was from 19.00 to 23.00 hrs. :lol:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

I was there too in Can Picafort and prices the same - it was the 400ml of G&T (50:50) for €4 that stunned me - in more ways than one ;-)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Around £3.50 here, but €1.90 a pint in Cyprus last week. Weatherspoons is nice and cheap and their Thursday curry deals are great.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Penfolds11

Post by Penfolds11 »

To a certain extent, that's like asking how much a pub charges for a main meal.

Having said that, £4.80 for a pint of beer is colossal unless its imported (I was happy to pay a fiver in London last winter for a pint of Anchor Steam) or UK "craft" (ie the trendy BrewDog type) which always seems over-priced to me.

Lager always appears to have a 30p per pint premium on it and its my experience that regional prices differ for the same product, which I think is probably the OP's impetus here.

In my local, the session real-ale bitter (Courage Best) is £3.40 whereas the guest beer that I always drink is £3.70 irrespective of what ale is actually on as guest although its often Harveys Sussex or Black Sheep Bitter. About a quarter of a mile up the road, another pub is offering Tring SidePocket (3.6 abv) for £3.30. In Wetherspoons at the weekend they had an International Beer Festival with beers at £2.45 per pint which, with my CAMRA 50p-off voucher, gave me a very nice pint or two for £1.95.

I know from frequent trips to Nottingham that the £3.70 pp that I regularly pay at home is expensive; I can't remember ever paying over £3.20 in any of the Castle Rock pubs we frequent although local members may be able to update me on the current local pricing.

According to this article in the Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/sep/04/good-pub-guide-londoners-76p-pint-more-than-herefordshire, the 2014 Good Pub Guide reckons that the average price of a pint of beer in Britain is £3.31 with London at the top end of the scale at an average of £3.79 a pint compared to £3.03 in Herefordshire. I still think studies like this fall into the same trap of comparing a pint of beer with a pint of beer when different strengths and even breweries could demand a different price. I'd happily pay more for a pint of Blue Monkey Guerrilla than I would for a pint of Castle Rock's Harvest Pale just to pluck two great beers out of thin air. Can any Nottingham cyclists tell me what those two cost per pint at the moment?

Anyway, this is a great idea for a thread and I'll be reporting my spending as often as I can in here!
honesty

Post by honesty »

Shows how long its been since I've had a pint in the pub. £2.50 is expensive to me!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't think anybody has mentioned how much beer you get in a pint pot these days - rarely a full pint. :evil:

There was a time when weights and measures inspectors enforced this rigorously. Around 1970, in the heyday of cask beer, a point was reached where pint beer glasses were marked with a line and certified that that marked the measure "One pint to line" IIRC. The point being that the froth was in the space above the line. Somewhere along the way, there was a decided case involving draught Guinness where it was held that a pint of Guinness included the head and that's where the rot set in as the other major breweries law the advantages of "perfectly legal" short measure. There was some sort of enquiry in which the breweries lobbied for this. "Paterson's" - the liquor licensing bible published annually, had this all in detail and that's where I've got the info, probably at 0200 on a quiet night. It was reported that Tetley's evidence was that their customers liked a nice tight head on their beer. :roll: I also remember from my mis-spent youth, a dour book of dour Yorkshiremen's dour jokes including one where a drinker asked the landlord if he'd be able to top up his pint with a double whisky and on being assured that it would indeed be easily done invited the landlord to top up the glass with beer. At some point a Labour (?) govt., passed the "Beer Order" which decreed that a pint of beer should be a full pint, but no commencement date was set and it was never introduced; at some stage it was quietly dropped. I'm neither a big boozer nor a regular one, but I don't like being ripped off. My tactic is to order draught beer first, then everything else by which time, the draught beer should have settled. If it wasn't topped up automatically, a glare used to be sufficient in most cases, but not anymore. An inch of froth represents 10%+ of a pint.