...anything about co-motion cycles

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
chocjohn9

...anything about co-motion cycles

Post by chocjohn9 »

I've only ever seen a professional picture of one and never a second hand one on here, ebay or the like ....so has anyone actually seen or even ridden one? Are they beautiful and full of lovingly hand made touches, as their website likes to trumpet?

They seem to be very expensive - an off the peg Reynolds 725, rohloff frame at £2250. ouch. A made to measure Roberts is quite a bit less...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Co-Motion-Pan ... 4ac3fcc8d9

Am I supposed to be awe or can they be "ignored"....in the nicest possible way?
s1965c

Re: ...anything about co-motion cycles

Post by s1965c »

I see the list price of that F+F is $1995 on their own web site. That's £1250.

It appears their UK importer is having a laugh.....
_________
LEJoG slug
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I did the CTC Lejog in May/Jun this year and a Canadian Couple had a Co-Motion Tandem with S&S couplings. It went into two cases when finished. Bill told me it took about an hour or more to assemble it properly, but they'd used it for years for touring.
RickH

Post by RickH »

s1965c wrote:I see the list price of that F+F is $1995 on their own web site. That's £1250.

It appears their UK importer is having a laugh.....

Don't forget that there will be VAT @ 20% & import duty (? Another 20%) to add to the UK price.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

Rich - but there will not be the state VAT to pay when exporting out of the US and the price on their website should be the US RRP, not their wholesaling price. So, the UK importer should be buying it at wholesale with no VAT but yes, there will be VAT here and import duty....so we are probably back to our £1250, Robert's pricing territory.

Either which way, they seem very expensive, even in the US and even if they can be put in a case - which is extra BTW - plus but loads of other manufacturers do this; hardly an unique selling point. I don't buy the "handmade in America" thing either - I seem to remember Cannondale making a fair share of "Friday afternoon bikes" when they manufactured in the US.

What about the welding, paint finish etc??? is their anyone out there able to persuade me to put it on my possible list. Anyone???
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

US state sales tax is often noy put on sticker prices (certainly online)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

This Canadian couple are very happy with their Co Motion tandem
http://cycleseven.org/expectant-waiting
If you search the CycleSeven site for Co Motion tandem you will find several other posts about it.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
LWaB

Post by LWaB »

There is a London couple doing worthwhile mileage on a Comotion tandem. They are probably the second-biggest USA builder and would be high on our list if we needed another tandem.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Highly regarded on Crazy Guy. IIRC, Neil, the owner of the site rides Co-motion;

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/search/? ... ype=forums

Rather snazzy ones on Bike-Rumour recently too-

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/10/23/ib1 ... ikes-more/