Guy Martin does recumbents!!!!!!

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Psamathe

Re: Guy Martin does recumbents!!!!!!

Post by Psamathe »

AlanGoodman wrote:Absolutely nothing about the run was staged (unlike an episode of the Gadget Show I was involved with in a pedal car...)

My own comment and I believe most/all comments about the "staged" aspect of the program was more about how it came across rather than accusations of it being "staged" (i.e. not accusations of deliberate deception).

As (I think) I commented earlier such an impression may easily be due to the style of the program which differs from many other such programs. To me the lack of the normal "false drama" (where they could "die at any moment due to the dangers of ...") was a big improvement, but it makes it come across differently from other similar programs. A great improvement but "something seems wrong" as everybody is so familiar with the "danger" the "heroes" are exposing themselves to.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Guy will certainly be in his element tonight, motorcycles :) CH4 20.00 4 +1 etc,
Thats serious me and I am not being sarcastric there (without rereading all my posts, I did comment that Guy is a good M/C rider so he should be in his element on this one so not so much a challenge for him)

In my mind and I would be happy to be wrong for Guy's sake, I hope the cycling programes he has done do not come back to bite him later.
Recorders on...................
He makes a good Fred Dib :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Quite enjoyed tonight's episode too, he was even cycling for a tiny bit of it too!

Next week looks good too, hovercraft speed record.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Guy wins his class, dispite "the bike running like a box of spanners" :) His words

Interesting to see that Electric is placed 2nd in both two and four wheels :?
2014-11-03_100418.jpg

Full bike results here -
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/ ... e-results/
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Postboxer wrote:Quite enjoyed tonight's episode too, he was even cycling for a tiny bit of it too!

Next week looks good too, hovercraft speed record.

Perhaps it was just me, but creating your own reduced oxygen chamber in your back bedroom looked pretty dodgy!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Wish I had the gear.
Boardman did it, etc, etc,

Which pro does'nt :?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypobaric_chamber

"Hypobaric chambers are also finding increasing use as a means of improving athletic performance. Since the human body adapts to extended mild hypoxia by increasing the quantity of red cells in the blood and this raises aerobic performance, athletes sleep in them as part of their training regimen."
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Wish I had the gear.
Boardman did it, etc, etc,

Which pro does'nt :?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypobaric_chamber

"Hypobaric chambers are also finding increasing use as a means of improving athletic performance. Since the human body adapts to extended mild hypoxia by increasing the quantity of red cells in the blood and this raises aerobic performance, athletes sleep in them as part of their training regimen."

Cough, Armstrong, cough :wink:

...he found a much more elegant way, IIRC.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Not sure how many motorcyclists do it though. I agree it looked a bit dodgy, essentially creating an airtight room to train in, a bit scary.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Airtight, but also closely monitored. Those machines were presumably monitoring and controlling ppCO2 as well as ppO2, both of which drop at altitude.
As does ppN2, but that's less important (unless it gets very high in which case rapid reduction in ppN2 becomes a serious problem)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Again, really enjoyed the programme. Again, some fudging of the facts/glossing over of the details. I'm sure they are doing this because of time rather than anything else, but there is probably also a little bit of trying to make it sound better than it is. The whole class of motorbike he was riding in they kept on saying was for the most powerful bikes, but in reality that class is the heavyweight class and Guy was in the UTV/Exhibition class. Fair play, he won it, and I would say if the bike had been working properly he would have placed higher in the general classification as well, but they really glossed over the differences in the classes on the programme.

Having had a quick look at the rules, this is because he supercharged the engine. The motorbike heavyweight division doesnt allow super or turbo charging, so he had to enter the Challenge group so they are technically not wrong in what they are saying, its just fudging again.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Turbo rather than super IIRC, but yes, getting a wounded bike up there that fast is impressive.

I was slightly concerned that there only appeared to be two riders - would have been nice to have seen a bit about the other bike(s) in the category - after all they were "exhibition" vehicles.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Youre right, turbo not super. There had to have been at least 6 vehicles in the category for it to run. I'm guessing the other 4 would have been quads for example and may have diluted the story they were trying to put over if they had shown them.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Did quads count as exhibition bikes?

I'd have assumed they were different. Good to see that there was more than one opponent...
honesty

Post by honesty »

I think there was a quad class as well, but the exhibition class is basically anything that doesn't fit into the other class rules including UTV's. Guys bike goes into it because it's charged and has a non standard frame as well I think. I read somewhere that the bike should have been running at 320BHP!!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote:Did quads count as exhibition bikes?

I'd have assumed they were different. Good to see that there was more than one opponent...

Three in the results and one of those was a Triumph..................