Helmet hygiene

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
fatboy

Helmet hygiene

Post by fatboy »

I often wear a helmet (mainly for protection from the sanctimonious :D ) but the biggest problem for me is one of hygiene. After every ride I wash my clothes, socks etc......however my festering helmet gets hung up ready for a follow on injection of sweat! What does anyone else do (other than not wearing one!)?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
thirdcrank

Re: Helmet hygiene

Post by thirdcrank »

A helmet with detachable and washable pads and straps seems best to me.

I have a some of this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorex-Helmet- ... B001GNEHVI

which came free with a helmet. It does seem to work, but I've not used it much because I remove and wash the sweaty bits.
Si

Post by Si »

I wear a bandanna under mine. Stops sun burn through the vents, soaks up sweat better than the pads it came with and can be washed easily.
twodogs

Post by twodogs »

I rinse my helmet after every ride. Just run cold water over the inside of it, shake the excess out and hang it up. Keeps it fresh so I don't get pimples on my head. :mrgreen:
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

twodogs wrote:I rinse my helmet after every ride. Just run cold water over the inside of it, shake the excess out and hang it up. Keeps it fresh so I don't get pimples on my head. :mrgreen:

This could work in the warm but not when it's cold, my helmet isn't allowed in the house!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Have ordered 2 sets of new pads so I can wash one, wear one.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I wear a buff under my helmet to soak up the sweat. Even then I find I have to buy a new helmet every four years or so, as it gets a bit wiffy!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I read on here some time back that you can put the whole helmet in the washing machine. In fact someone said that they do this regularly.

I've not tried it - yet - but I reckon if the helmet is put inside a pillowcase or something, it shouldn't damage it or the machine. Perhaps use a slow spin?

Anyone remember that thread on here?
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

Watch out Mick, if anyone from HW reads that they'll be insisting that people ride around with pillow cases over their helmets to increase their effectiveness! :lol:
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Si wrote:Watch out Mick, if anyone from HW reads that they'll be insisting that people ride around with pillow cases over their helmets to increase their effectiveness! :lol:

But it's common sense to do anything you can to protect your head so I'm all for it :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

IMO, a first step is to avoid buying helmets which have any of the padding or straps permanently attached. Both my current helmets have all the pads held in with Velcro and the strap is threaded through in rather a complicated fashion, but it's not attached. I've always chosen helmets carefully for size to avoid having to use stick-in spacing pads. When I removed a strap for the first time, I wrote some notes to ensure I'd be able to reinstall it immediately. Then, a regular rinse in cold water is sufficient.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Sponge, a bit of shower gel and a rinse in the shower keeps mine squeaky clean.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Vantage wrote:Sponge, a bit of shower gel and a rinse in the shower keeps mine squeaky clean.

Yes, but what about your helmet? Oooo errrrr missus, it gets worse..........................................
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

thirdcrank wrote:IMO, a first step is to avoid buying helmets

:mrgreen:
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Vantage wrote:Sponge, a bit of shower gel and a rinse in the shower keeps mine squeaky clean.

Doesn't everyone wear a helmet in the shower? :wink: